Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2012, 03:28 PM

1 posts, read 3,442 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I have been living in Manhattan for about almost a year now. I am a year out of college, and am currently working for a consulting firm. I like my job and the people I work with, however, I still am not a fan of NYC. I dislike the lack personal space, astronomical rent/food prices and lack of access to the outdoors. My friends kept telling me that I would eventually "Fall in love" with NYC, but that still hasn't happened.

I am familiar with Denver, my parents relocated out to the rocky mountains after I graduated HS. I really want to make the move out there, but I have concerns about two main things. One: I have a group of friends in NY, and Two: I am afraid that if I switch to the Denver office of my firm, career advancement might not be as good since NY has all the big clients. I love everything Colorado and the city of Denver have to offer, but these two things are holding me back from making a move.

I was just wondering if anyone else had similar experiences.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 03:46 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,463,432 times
I lived in NYC for 2 years 2005-2006 and it was not my thing for many of the same reasons you state. However, for a young person just understand the nightlife and dating options here are nowhere near the NYC lvl.

Both of your concerns are valid, meeting new people can be rough and depressing. I've seen many people lose patience with a new place and run back to their friends. For some careers a location means everything, I'm in Software Development and having worked in Silicon Valley for many years definitely helps.

Think them both through and visit a few times before making the dive.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:57 PM

95 posts, read 186,624 times
Denver is not a destination city for twenty-somethings. Its a very established city and social scene. More ideal for either people who grew up here or older folks >30 years age with solid jobs or trust-funders. Who knows, you could be one of the above, I don't know you. But generally speaking, twenty somethings flock to bigger more cosmopolitan cities. Denver is the anti-cosmopolitan city.

Think about 6 lane roads where the speed limit is just 30 and grandma's are driving UNDER the speed limit, and police are out every single day with their radar guns - THAT'S DENVER IN A NUTSHELL! YAWN!

Old 08-06-2012, 04:42 PM

459 posts, read 806,207 times
Denver has a lower median age than NYC. Several publications have produced numbers and lists showing Denver is a popular place for millennials including this one referencing the ACS Young Adults Choose "Cool Cities" During Recession | Brookings Institution

If you live in the central part of the city I am not sure how you are missing the twenty-somethings but they are everywhere where I live.

Old 08-06-2012, 04:48 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,375,274 times
Denver is a very cosmopolitan city and is a destination city for twenty-somethings. You do not have be older than 30 or a trust-funder. Moving to Denver has nothing to do with who is driving the speed limits; who is unhappy, lacks patience and drives too fast. Police here are just as competent, fair and capable as other cities. Now, that I have put out the trash. I will go on with my answer:

I am ex-New Yorker and I have been here for 34 years. Denver has grown much in those years and has reached a level of sophistication and prosperity that can be a very good place for a career. However, it is not NYC and never will be that big city. Nor will it reach the level of business and finance. If that is what is your only goal in life--then stay in NYC. If you have a need to constantly compare Denver to NYC and see Denver lacking--then stay in NYC. Denver has its own advantages; it is entirely different city.

Many of us, at some time or other have left the comforts of friends, family and familiar surroundings. It is part of the life of our national migrations from place to place. Some people cannot easily leave friends behind and make new friends easily. Some of us need close friends, some of us, do not. So, if you have the the dire need for your friends--then stay in NYC.

I am not criticizing you because I am also of those who need familiar surroundings and friends and that is why I have remained in Denver for 34 years. However, I am in my 60s and you are much younger, so I have had the experience of moving and experience new places, when I was younger, and have established that comfortable place in Denver. I have lived and worked in Manhattan and I know the advantages of NYC and I have known many people who want nothing more and believe New York City is the Center of the Universe; I am not one of them. However, if you do not have that desire to explore a new place, new friends and perhaps find a new you--then stay in NYC.

Livecontent

Old 08-06-2012, 04:55 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,223,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmsequal View Post
Denver is not a destination city for twenty-somethings. Its a very established city and social scene. More ideal for either people who grew up here or older folks >30 years age with solid jobs or trust-funders. Who knows, you could be one of the above, I don't know you. But generally speaking, twenty somethings flock to bigger more cosmopolitan cities. Denver is the anti-cosmopolitan city.

Think about 6 lane roads where the speed limit is just 30 and grandma's are driving UNDER the speed limit, and police are out every single day with their radar guns - THAT'S DENVER IN A NUTSHELL! YAWN!
I disagree. I'm 27 and moved to Denver to go to college. I ended up staying after college to start my career in Denver and feel that this city offers alot for young professionals. There are tons of twenty-somethings here... what part of the city do you live in?

Obviously, Denver lacks the vibrancy of NYC (as do most other metro areas), but I think that Denver offers alot for its size. I have never been bored living here.

Old 08-06-2012, 05:08 PM

95 posts, read 186,624 times
The second tier cities like atlanta, miami, Seattle, Dallas, and Houston attract much more twenty somethings. Denver is a third tier city, more similar to sacramento, pheonix, kansas city, etc..

There are 4-5 larger more vibrant cities than denver in the midwest alone.

Minneopolis and kansas city both have a bigger job market. And of course austin, dallas, and houston all make Denver look like a joke.

The "laid back" life aint too great when you have to actually work for a living.

Last edited by filmsequal; 08-06-2012 at 05:19 PM..

Old 08-06-2012, 06:23 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,269,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crtinNY View Post
Hey everyone,

I have been living in Manhattan for about almost a year now. I am a year out of college, and am currently working for a consulting firm. I like my job and the people I work with, however, I still am not a fan of NYC. I dislike the lack personal space, astronomical rent/food prices and lack of access to the outdoors. My friends kept telling me that I would eventually "Fall in love" with NYC, but that still hasn't happened.

I am familiar with Denver, my parents relocated out to the rocky mountains after I graduated HS. I really want to make the move out there, but I have concerns about two main things. One: I have a group of friends in NY, and Two: I am afraid that if I switch to the Denver office of my firm, career advancement might not be as good since NY has all the big clients. I love everything Colorado and the city of Denver have to offer, but these two things are holding me back from making a move.

I was just wondering if anyone else had similar experiences.

Thanks!
I think you should stay in NYC longer-- at least for a few years, before moving to Denver (or anywhere else). Obviously, NYC can be a very challenging, uncomfortable, and often annoying place to live. But the city has so much to offer in terms of your career, social life (including dating, as someone mentioned), and culture you should experience as much of it as you can while you can. Try to do something new and interesting every day, more than just going to work, eating, and going to bed. Build some memories! Even if it's clearly not where you intend to live long term, fact is, you're already there. Once you move from the big world city to mainstream America and then get used to the comfortable, boring lifestyle again, it will be extremely difficult if not impossible to ever go back. Denver is a fine place to settle down, but don't be in a rush to settle down just yet. Denver will still be here. Plus if you can get at least 2-3 years of work experience out there it will make your resume look much better than having been at a job only a year or less and then leaving.

Looking back on the decisions I've made in the last 4 years since I graduated college, one of my biggest regrets is not (at least trying to) staying in LA after I graduated USC and try to start my career out there. I was absolutely convinced that I hated LA (mainly because I lived in a ghetto area) and that I wanted to move back to Denver, and thus blew a lot of opportunities that came by my way when I was in LA. Then when I did come back to Denver, I couldn't find a good job here, and ended up taking a job in a whole other state, living in a podunk town (Reno, NV) where I was miserably unhappy. I came back here in 2010, found a good job here, doing great financially, but now I realize that Denver isn't as great as I remembered it. I find myself frequently bored here, hard to meet people, very hard to find available single girls to date, and sometimes wish I would have stayed in the big city longer, at least to get it out of my system. I've also found that the traffic to get up to the high country on the weekends here (both during the ski season and during the summer) is HORRENDOUS to the point where it takes the fun out of going.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:24 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,106,859 times
Here is some advice:

1. Filmsequal seems to have a huge problem with Denver, his version of reality is not shared by most people.

2. DO NOT take a lateral move to come out to the Denver office. Wait for a promotion opportunity to present itself and then apply. This way you will not hurt your chances within the company.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:14 PM

17,693 posts, read 29,691,842 times
Default You are bitter, go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmsequal View Post
The second tier cities like atlanta, miami, Seattle, Dallas, and Houston attract much more twenty somethings. Denver is a third tier city, more similar to sacramento, pheonix, kansas city, etc...
Denver - pop = 620K
Austin - pop = 820K
Sacramento - pop 470K
Seattle - 620K
and, yes, the others (including pheonix [sic] are are much larger.

You need to become a glass half-full person versus a glass always-empty person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: