Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 02:35 PM

25 posts, read 32,631 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Been narrowing down some choices for a possible move from Atlanta. Big contender right now is Denver. I'd love to hear from anyone who has moved from Atlanta to Denver. We are looking for a community that's similar to a Virginia Highland with great schools, walkability, kid friendly and progressive. We are leaving due to the insane heat, sprawl, feeling of 'when is it ever going to become what we thought it would become?' and so several friends (and now City Data people) have recommended Denver (jobs are not an issue as we are self employed). Fellow Atlanta transplants, have you been happy with your move? Do you find that Denver seems bigger/smaller in feel to Atlanta? More/less communal? More/less things to do with kids? Anything you miss in particular? Anything you're so happy you're away from? One thing is that we drive to the ocean a few times a year. We're big water people. I know you have the mountains...any big lakes nearby? Thank you in advance! We are excited about this possible move.

Last edited by carlythomas; 08-08-2012 at 03:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 03:20 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,812,481 times
Default House prices may shock

Denver house prices are much higher (on average) than Atlanta.
The rental market is crazy tight.

Old 08-08-2012, 04:06 PM

204 posts, read 578,817 times
We currently live in N Fulton and have been teased with the idea of moving to Denver by my husbands company for the past year. So much so they flew us out there to look last October (we're thinking spring 2013 now). That being said.....we love Denver. It is very different than Atlanta (brown, flat, much more relaxed), but still has some fabulous restaurants and a really cool vibe downtown similar to Midtown. The architecture is also beautiful in the older neighborhoods, like Virginia Highland. The only issue we have is that you have to fly to get anywhere (besides the mountains of course), but we have decided that we want a change so badly that it wouldn't matter. My husband and I had a wonderful time visiting and even found some houses we were ready to put offers on at the time. We both felt in our gut we would be very happy there. Just wish is was sooner rather than later! Oh, and Trader Joes is coming to CO, so that solves that 'other' issue.

Old 08-08-2012, 04:21 PM

Thanks so much, apa! You'll have to let me me know if you make the move! Best of luck to you.
I spend a lot of time in Midtown and Va/Hi and only wish there were more areas like that here...places to spend a few hours after a visit to the High...so I'm excited to check it out from a new perspective. Please keep me posted! Thanks again.

Old 08-08-2012, 04:34 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,215,602 times
Based on the requirements you mention, are you sure?

I have lived in both cities, Denver 13 years - two different stints - and Atlanta 4 years.

Lakes? No. Having spent a huge amount of time on GA and TN lakes (and the river) boating, tubing, swimming etc. there is NONE of that here because the lakes are too cold. I love CO but it is NOT a place I would recommend for 'water people', be it people who are used to being ON the water (lakes) or living near the ocean.

It's hot and humid in ATL for sure BUT I imagine it would be a HUGE adjustment for a family to move from Atlanta to Denver, if you were used to getting the kids outside (easily) during wintertime. Though there are MANY, many days of sunshine in CO, the winter is long as far as low temps and it's hard to just go play outside, there is some kiddo cabin fever as compared to warmer cities. Spring comes late in CO; much later than the east coast snow cities.

I'll assume you like snow; for 'snow' cities Denver ranks high and is as good as it gets, it usually melts quickly and the sun comes out.

The sprawl is MUCH more noticeable in Denver because there are hardly any trees, at least in contrast to Atlanta.

Yes, there are neighborhoods like Virginia Highlands but the homes are considerably more expensive than Atlanta, as is the cost of living, in general, while the salaries are the same. Also, the shopping and variety of shopping in Atlanta is much better than Denver -- there's more of it and more breadth. I was honestly shocked when I moved from DEN to ATL the first time... having grown up in CA and having had access to some of the best shopping in the country I couldn't believe how good the ATL shopping was.

I offer all this having lived in the Denver metro area before I lived in Atlanta AND again after I lived in Atlanta. Based on YOUR requirements and priorities, I would do more research if I were you.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:58 PM

You're welcome Carly. Idle, I don't know about Carly, but I know the operative word for our family is CHANGE. I'm originally from NY, so I'm fine with winter. My husband and I are both avid skiers. And as far as shopping goes, that's not a concern to me. I shop online mostly anyway! But I do agree, a lot of homework should be done. It's a major change in lifestyle. One that our family is up for!

Old 08-08-2012, 08:25 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,215,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apa1128 View Post
You're welcome Carly. Idle, I don't know about Carly, but I know the operative word for our family is CHANGE. I'm originally from NY, so I'm fine with winter. My husband and I are both avid skiers. And as far as shopping goes, that's not a concern to me. I shop online mostly anyway! But I do agree, a lot of homework should be done. It's a major change in lifestyle. One that our family is up for!
Sounds like a good fit for you guys then .

I was just responding to the OP's included priorities -- water fun, sprawl, doing things with kiddos, particular cool neighborhoods AND good schools, etc. If those are indeed at the top of the CO and Denver may not be the best fit.

Last edited by Idlewile; 08-08-2012 at 08:28 PM.. Reason: added more info

Old 08-08-2012, 08:34 PM

such good insight! thanks to all...I swear city data is better than therapy ;0

Old 08-08-2012, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
Sounds like a good fit for you guys then .

I was just responding to the OP's included priorities -- water fun, sprawl, doing things with kiddos, particular cool neighborhoods AND good schools, etc. If those are indeed at the top of the CO and Denver may not be the best fit.
I totally agree. It seems like you can't get cool houses and good school in the same neighborhood in Denver. Same goes for Atlanta after elementary unfortunately. We're paying private tuition right now, and if we move we need to get away from that. So that means Stapleton or Centennial/HR for us most likely.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:33 PM

95 posts, read 186,877 times
I would be the expert you'd want to talk to. I lived in intown Atlanta for 8 years and moved to Denver within the past year.

I feel happy here. Yes, there's heat here, it's VERY hot here in Denver in the summer, the low humidity only kicks in after midnight when it cools down to 60-65 (Atlanta only cools down to 75). I have been a little shocked about the heat. There isn't a constant white haze in the sky here. The sky is beatiful here and you see the stars at night, unlike Atlanta. The downside is the sun is intense and will turn your face into leather. Even if I'm not planning to be outside more than 10 minutes each day, I forced myself to habitually apply suntan lotion in the mornings.

Atlanta is a fast paced city, I'm still getting used to being friendly, and I know that that sounds bad, but after living in Atlanta you really have to accept the coldness of the people there after a while. Here people seem like they are genuinely friendly, not fake at all.

The downside to Denver? I'm self-employed:

1. The Southeast contains 30+ million people. A lot of people out west forget that the South is the 2nd most dense region of the country. Draw a 500 mile radius circle around Denver and you barely get up to 10 million. More people= greater business.

2. People here are much more frugal here and not willing to spend money. That is a plus and a minus, depending on what business you are in. I personally would prefer if people were a little bit more extravagant and willing to spend more money than they seem to do. I have had to offer my services for lower prices since moving here. But there's definitely money here and the people moving here are good quality people, many wealthy people even choose Denver to live.

The un-politically correct reason for it being more friendly here, IMO, is simply that people here don't have a chip on their shoulder like in the South.

Last edited by filmsequal; 08-08-2012 at 09:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: