Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2012, 12:18 AM

1 posts, read 3,691 times

Advertisements

My family is relocating to the denver area for grad school and we found a great deal on a rental in the neighborhood by Wolff Run Park (80th and Sheridan in Westmister/Arvada). We were wondering if it was truly a good deal, or if it was cheaper because the area is sketchier. We have also been looking at Broomfield and would love to hear opinions of how the two areas compare.

Last edited by MissingtheWest; 08-18-2012 at 12:36 AM.. Reason: add more content
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 01:14 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,886,305 times
Its OK area but not as nice as Broomfield. A friend lives real close and says only thing that sucks there is the commute.

Old 08-18-2012, 03:02 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,813,671 times
Personally I would consider moving a mile or two West meaning West of 80th to 88th and Wadsworth in Arvada or consider Broomfield. If you live in that part of Arvada you still have a smooth trip down 88th to access Highway 36 and the area is just better over all IMO. Not that where you are considering is bad, it's just not that great by comparison to Broomfield and more West Arvada. Arvada proper is one of the safest areas in the metro and is a reasonable commute.

Old 08-18-2012, 11:41 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,403,299 times
The area is not bad and is an excellent location for commuting as it is right down the street from one of the largest Park--Rides in the area with many buses, Westminster Park-n-Ride. In fact, if you are going to graduate school in downtown you can get on the Regional Bus to that run back and forth to Boulder, Route BV, and it speeds quickly to downtown with no more stops. If you go the other way to Boulder, it goes right to the Boulder Campus. You can also take the many express commuter buses to Downtown and back with no stops to this Park-n-Ride. Buses to downtown and Boulder run late and often.

Given that you will probably get a free bus pass as a student--it can't be beat. You can even leave your car at home and take a choose of two buses that run north on Sheridan to the Park-n-Ride, 51 and 31. Check it all out at RTD

Broomfield would not give a better option in Public Transit commuting; it would require an additional stop at Westminster to go Downtown. It is closer to Boulder but the Park-n-Ride is not that convenient as it is buried in a large development off Wadsworth.

It is also easy to get on the highway at I-36 or south on Sheridan to I-76 and I-70. You can easily drive to downtown very quickly through the many side roads through the near area of Denver; for many in the "know", it is more direct diagonal route and avoids traffic backups. Anyone who says that it is bad area for commuting has really no idea what they are talking about.

Other posters have suggested that areas a few miles west to Arvada are better places to live, as in the Lake Arbor area of Arvada at 80th to 88th and Wadsworth. I agree for aesthetic, newer developments, higher class of residents and certainly a much better area for the school system in Jefferson County as the areas east of Sheridan is Adams County District 50; not so good. If I had school age children I would live in Jefferson County. However, you will loose, partially, the outstanding public transit option on Sheridan which is not such bad area and not crime ridden. I know the area very well and it has some high end facilities of retirement communities and nursing homes, Kaiser Medical. It has good basic shopping nearby with King Soopers and Walmart.

I use the Park-n-Ride often, as I live south on Sheridan. I have lived here for many years and I have lived in Lake Arbor. I know this area well.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 08-18-2012 at 12:04 PM..

Old 08-18-2012, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
The area is not bad and is an excellent location for commuting as it is right down the street from one of the largest Park--Rides in the area with many buses, Westminster Park-n-Ride. In fact, if you are going to graduate school in downtown you can get on the Regional Bus to that run back and forth to Boulder, Route BV, and it speeds quickly to downtown with no more stops. If you go the other way to Boulder, it goes right to the Boulder Campus. You can also take the many express commuter buses to Downtown and back with no stops to this Park-n-Ride. Buses to downtown and Boulder run late and often.

Given that you will probably get a free bus pass as a student--it can't be beat. You can even leave your car at home and take a choose of two buses that run north on Sheridan to the Park-n-Ride, 51 and 31. Check it all out at RTD

Broomfield would not give a better option in Public Transit commuting; it would require an additional stop at Westminster to go Downtown. It is closer to Boulder but the Park-n-Ride is not that convenient as it is buried in a large development off Wadsworth.

It is also easy to get on the highway at I-36 or south on Sheridan to I-76 and I-70. You can easily drive to downtown very quickly through the many side roads through the near area of Denver; for many in the "know", it is more direct diagonal route and avoids traffic backups. Anyone who says that it is bad area for commuting has really no idea what they are talking about.

Other posters have suggested that areas a few miles west to Arvada are better places to live, as in the Lake Arbor area of Arvada at 80th to 88th and Wadsworth. I agree for aesthetic, newer developments, higher class of residents and certainly a much better area for the school system in Jefferson County as the areas east of Sheridan is Adams County District 50; not so good. If I had school age children I would live in Jefferson County. However, you will loose, partially, the outstanding public transit option on Sheridan which is not such bad area and not crime ridden. I know the area very well and it has some high end facilities of retirement communities and nursing homes, Kaiser Medical. It has good basic shopping nearby with King Soopers and Walmart.

I use the Park-n-Ride often, as I live south on Sheridan. I have lived here for many years and I have lived in Lake Arbor. I know this area well.

Livecontent
Why don't you share the "in the know" routes so my buddy doesn't complain so much. He commutes to Littleton and complains about it regularly, saying Sheridan is horrible and Wadsworth is not much better. He inherited a house and still has some repairs to do before he can get out of there.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Why don't you share the "in the know" routes so my buddy doesn't complain so much. He commutes to Littleton and complains about it regularly, saying Sheridan is horrible and Wadsworth is not much better. He inherited a house and still has some repairs to do before he can get out of there.
In your initial post, you said it was a bad commuting location; you said nothing about where, which was a very ridiculous hearsay statement because it all depends where you commute--I laughed when I saw your post. If ones commutes to Littleton, then of course commuting is bad if one lives in Westminster. The same would be said if one lives in Littleton, if one commutes to Westminster.

The issue, that I pointed out, is that it is very well situated near major highways, which for some commuting means driving on the highway and therefore, young man, it is a good commuting location. However, for some commuting means public transit and that area is an excellent location for access to buses, especially to Boulder and Downtown.

Also, the OP stated that he was relocating to go to graduate school. I assume that he was intelligent enough to live somewhat near that University, as he was asking about areas of Westminster and Broomfield which would more likely meant Boulder or Downtown--again this area would be a good location for commute to these locations.

If you do not know the area, why do you continually make comments about places you know nothing about. You have indicated in previous post that you dislike many neighborhoods and you make cutting remarks about older area which you say you never go; you only have a fleeting idea of most places in the Denver area. You are new here and only have a little knowledge of your far corner of the metro area--Littleton.

So before you challenge me, young man, get your little duckies in order because I know this area well. I have no prejudice against old or new; and I can handle differences in places because I have the experience to understand and learn from varied experiences.

Livecontent

Old 08-19-2012, 09:14 PM

Chill buddy, I was asking for help and you get all pissy about it. I responded to a question a poster made and you decided to get snide with me. Sorry to dare infringe on your world of knowledge.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:17 PM

461 posts, read 546,405 times
I live in Broomfield, but I'm very new to CO. I see people recommending living here and mentioning 36, but what about the construction? The mother of all cone zones: Reconstruction of U.S. 36 starts this week - The Denver Post

And please don't tell me that this will be done in 3 years. I've seen this kind of construction in quite a few places, and it just goes on and on and on. Most recently, I left before 495 in VA was finished, as I told my wife we'd do as soon as we moved there.

JB

Old 09-02-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbeliever View Post
I live in Broomfield, but I'm very new to CO. I see people recommending living here and mentioning 36, but what about the construction? The mother of all cone zones: Reconstruction of U.S. 36 starts this week - The Denver Post

And please don't tell me that this will be done in 3 years. I've seen this kind of construction in quite a few places, and it just goes on and on and on. Most recently, I left before 495 in VA was finished, as I told my wife we'd do as soon as we moved there.

JB
I know your frustration. I live near a future rail station on a line that is now being constructed--it will not be finished until 2016. There are detours and new lights; a major bridge is being rebuilt to accommodate the train; new pavements; new sidewalks. I have never seen so much construction near my house. Sometimes it drives me crazy. I just live with it and know in the future, it will be better.

There is no way around the issue of I-36; it will be problematic for drivers. Keep in mind, it is necessary and needed and there will significant improvement. I would advise that you try to seek other roads that bypass that highway as much as possible. It is not absolutely necessary to take I-36. You can also take public transit; leave the headaches to their driver and get yourself a good ereader.

Livecontent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver