Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 11:23 PM

18,013 posts, read 27,460,166 times

Advertisements

Cleveland is far superior to Denver when it comes to bugs. Cleveland is a buggy place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2007, 03:02 AM

28 posts, read 109,942 times
Thanks for the help everyone.

Here is a little info about me if it helps. I'm 27 and I am an attorney (just got my bar exam results yesterday!!). Also, I am from the east-side of Cleveland.

Denver is a much cleaner city than cleveland, except for the smog. Also, I love how much variety there is to do in denver, the city, the mountains, the sports, etc... Cleveland has the city which has gotten old to me, the sports Cavs, Indians, and soon to be playoff bound browns (for the record I am actually a Broncos fan since the days of Elway, but it is nice to see my hometown team turning around).

Now that I am leaving Cleveland, I actually see what it has to offer. The cost of living is much cheaper here. For example a $150,000 house here goes for over $200,000 there and like many people pointed out they have character (at least on the east side of Cleveland).

Besides, the real estate market/cost of living, I personally believe that Denver has more to offer. I am just wondering what areas I should start to look at in Denver. I have read the forum for months now, but it is hard to get a picture of Aurora, Littleton, Arvada until I am there or can compare it to an area here. I don't think I actually want to leave in the City of Denver. I want to live in a suburb that still has character to it like in Cleveland. I just don't like areas where every house looks, or is, the same as the house next to it. Also, an area that is low-crime. Every city has crime and I can tolerate that, but none of that gang area stuff. We don't have too much of that here. I can deal with an area where there is the occasional break-ins, car thefts, bad teenagers, drunk college kids. That like the area I live in now. It's not high dangerous crime.

Carrie:

Cleveland is going crazy. I went downtown when the Cavs beat the Pistons and it was shutdown; literally. Everyone was out driving, walking, just madness. Now the city is going crazy about the Indians, up 2-0 on the Yankees!!! Also, the Browns are 2-2!!!! Brady was the talk for a while, but Anderson has shut that talk up. I hate Browns fan sometime, the just wanted to throw Brady in so he could end up like Couch. But now they love Anderson, who I said last year should be the starter, but since I am a Broncos fan, they don't care what I say. But it great to see them actually looking like a football team again.

McGowdog:
so you saw the game. That was sick!! No one knows where those bugs came from. Probably because it is 80+ degrees here and the lights on the field.

Old 10-06-2007, 03:06 AM

Carrie:

We don't talk about OSU last year. That's why I will never move to or visit Florida.

Old 10-06-2007, 07:14 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
I don't think I actually want to leave in the City of Denver. I want to live in a suburb that still has character to it like in Cleveland. I just don't like areas where every house looks, or is, the same as the house next to it. Also, an area that is low-crime. Every city has crime and I can tolerate that, but none of that gang area stuff. We don't have too much of that here. I can deal with an area where there is the occasional break-ins, car thefts, bad teenagers, drunk college kids. That like the area I live in now. It's not high dangerous crime.
You will find plenty of drunk college kids in Boulder! LOL! Actually, most of the close-in suburbs would fit your needs. As you can tell from the most recent exchange, things are newer in general here. You're not going to find a lot of stately old buildings in the city or the suburbs. Bungalow-style houses predominate in the city and older 'burbs. The newer suburbs look like, well, suburbs. You will find acceptance of your Cleveland teams here; so many people are from "somewhere else" that everyone roots for different teams. Of course, we are all pulling for the Rockies today!

Old 10-06-2007, 02:12 PM

Pittsnurse:

I kinda of figured that. When I grew up Cleveland Heights was ranked one of the most diverse city in the country. I don't know if its still true or not, but it is definitely unique. I think Aurora is a place I am interested in, but people do say that it has a very high crime rate in, I think, it's southern part. I have to do a check and do some research. I was also told by a friend out there that the eastern suburbs are cheaper than the western. True? It's going to suck when I first move out there because of all the place I have to look to see where I want to stay. As it is now I think I may rent for a year before I buy.

Strange thing is I would probably want a newer apartment, unless I found one of those great older apartment buildings. But a house, I rather have an older house, especially in a family neighborhood, thinking resale value.

I keep looking at so many areas and they all seem great. Littleton, Aurpra, Lakewood, Thorton.

I am going out there this week so hopeful, I can do some looking around. If I had to chose today, do you think the breakers in cherry creek is okay? Also, what about home rentals what do they go for $600 - 900? I have two dogs that need a yard!!!

Old 10-06-2007, 05:33 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
I am not familiar with the breakers or really anything in the cherry creek area. My DD lives in the DU area, near there. It is a nice neighborhood for 20somethings. I think a house will cost you at least $900/mo (2 BR), perhaps much more. She has a 2 BR apt for $650, I believe.

I have always lived west; I'm not sure of prices in the eastern suburbs. Ironically, the western part of the city itself is less expensive than the east side, though that seems to be changing with Highlands and Berkely on the w. side becoming quite hip.

RE: the dogs: DD lives near a park; when she had a dog that's where they took him.

Old 10-07-2007, 05:13 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nappyloxs View Post
I am think of relocating to Denver and was wondering if anyone can compare the two, especially the suburbs. I live in Cleveland Heights if that helps. Also, the cost of living is a little bit of a concern, but winters and snow are no problem.

Thanks
Might be a World Series match up.

Old 12-08-2007, 10:16 AM

1,082 posts, read 4,717,719 times
I live in Denver and have since '94. I grew up in south central Ohio, moved with my folks to Colorado (various locations), and lived in illinois & Portland.

I still think denver is overrated. It's like a midwesterner's fantasy and it is NOT perfect--all job bases are very cyclical, there are a lot of new suburbs, and the burbs are sprawling compared to the city center. This causes california like traffic congestion, air pollution, and the mountains are being blocked by high rises. Also, due to the arrid climate and lack of vegetation, the traffic noise has gotten really bad.

Old 12-08-2007, 10:22 AM

49 posts, read 219,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagger Lee View Post
Or it might be asking which person had more character John Lennon or Dick Cheney? The answer is obvious.

Cleveland atleast is a real city, not a huge endless suburb.

I knew when I saw this thread, it was going to turn quickly into a ignorant Denver is paradise and Cleveland is hell thread. Denver is overrated, Cleveland is underrated. I am not saying Denver is bad. I love Denver, but it gets to much respect that it doesn't deserve.

Cleveland is a dump. A big, expansive, rusty, polluted, dreary trash heap. Colorado is beautiful - i'm moving from Ohio to Colorado this year.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:26 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,401,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esya View Post
I live in Denver and have since '94. I grew up in south central Ohio, moved with my folks to Colorado (various locations), and lived in illinois & Portland.

I still think denver is overrated. It's like a midwesterner's fantasy and it is NOT perfect--all job bases are very cyclical, there are a lot of new suburbs, and the burbs are sprawling compared to the city center. This causes california like traffic congestion, air pollution, and the mountains are being blocked by high rises. Also, due to the arrid climate and lack of vegetation, the traffic noise has gotten really bad.
I just do not understand you, if you are unhappy in Colorado then why stay??
Colorado is not for everyone--it is not a paradise. It is just a different place with a different climate and topography. The climate is not going to change to meet your requirements--you are the one who has to change your place of residence to the climate that suites you and makes you happy.

I grew up in Western New York, near Buffalo, and I have been to Cleveland numerous times. It reminds me of Buffalo--old and decaying. However, the towns and villages around both those cities are beautiful with lush vegetation. If that is what you want, then go back there and make a life.

I have read many of your posts and you are unhappy here and want more green, water and moisture and that is what you should get. You cannot fight the area, it will not change,

I liked the area around the Great Lakes but it was not going to improve economically in my lifetime--so I had to make some hard choices. I am here in Colorado; I am happy and I am going to stay. I could very well have been happy in New York but these were my choices--you need to find your way and make yourself happy.

Livecontent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver