Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 07:44 AM

5 posts, read 5,369 times

Advertisements

Hi forum users,
I'm currently 17 years old and admittedly; completely clueless about visa's and the like. Through browsing the forum a while, i've noticed a lot of users aren't being taken seriously due to lack of understanding, hence my post here. I have a year left in college, and honestly i'm undecided about my future (notice the clueless trend, honest i'm not stupid haha). With this said, what are my routes to moving to the US? I have read that having somebody in the US vouching for you helps, and that having secured a job in the US before you move partly qualifies you for a certain visa type. In an ideal world, I would be thinking to move to the US after I finish college, but I completely understand that it is ridiculous to think that would happen with no degree and limited funds. I would like to know what my options are in terms of moving as I don't feel completely happy in the UK. The results I have in my first year of college should allow me to get offers from universities in the UK and maybe that would help me obtain a visa and those 3/4/5 years at universities would allow me to get a reasonable amount of funds from a part time job. Responses would be greatly appreciated and I hope i'm not encouraging criticism due to my lack of knowledge on this subject.
Regards
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 07:47 AM

Sorry, I realised that I didn't explain why I posted in the Denver section. If I did pursue my dream to move to the US, I would be wanting to move to either Colorado or California as of the 5 states of America I have visited, those 2 are the ones I really like.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:37 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,123,489 times
There are several different types of visas.

A student visa allows you to be a full time student, but allows for only limited employment opportunities. I am not sure you could save significant amounts of money under the restrictions.

Employment visas have a priority system with skilled and educated workers given priority.

There are many more visa types. You should investigate to see what would fit you best.

Old 09-03-2012, 02:04 PM

How flexible would you say the visa's are in terms of getting accepted? I've seen many posts from forum users saying about the duration of time it takes and even in a couple of instances seeing that if you're not well enough qualified you will be disregarded entirely. i'm more wondering about whether it is worth a punt at this time in my life or after i have graduated university. I say take a punt at it now because I may consider higher education in the US.

Old 09-03-2012, 02:31 PM

2,175 posts, read 4,299,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeenWanderer View Post
How flexible would you say the visa's are in terms of getting accepted?
Don't they teach proper use of the apostrophe in the UK?

Old 09-03-2012, 07:05 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,376,177 times
You're from the UK, just get a tourist visa, then get a job and stay here. It's very easy for british citizens

Old 09-03-2012, 11:27 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,029,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
You're from the UK, just get a tourist visa, then get a job and stay here. It's very easy for british citizens
That is not the way to do it. A tourist visa does not allow one to get a job or even look for a job. Doing so would result in deportation.

Last edited by KaaBoom; 09-03-2012 at 11:35 PM..

Old 09-04-2012, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
Don't they teach proper use of the apostrophe in the UK?
If you're going to try and correct my use of proper English, i'll respond with don't they use full sentences in the US? Pretty sure you missed out a 'the'. Thanks for the help.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:43 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,470,946 times
As a Brit who did move here I can offer the following advice. Definitely get a degree in a subject that is in high demand. IT is very popular obviously, especially in the video/movie industries. Healthcare is another option altho that is very heavily subscribed these days. You could consider teaching but the salaries here suck just as much as they do back home. Once you've got your degree and maybe a little experience on your CV, apply to large companies with an international outlook and/or overseas branches. Firstly they probably have an immigration lawyer on retainer and secondly, they will look on your application more favourably. Don't be too set on a specific location - be flexible. California is very over-subscribed in terms of immigration and you might stand a better chance going to a state with a smaller population. I came here on an H1-B visa, sponsored by my employer, which was good for approx 6 years. While you are here you can try for a Green Card (or permanent residency) if you can convince your employer to sponsor you for that OR you can get married. Then, after a certain number of years, you can apply for citizenship.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:27 AM

659 posts, read 1,014,636 times
You can always marry an American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: