Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 07:20 PM

521 posts, read 857,345 times

Advertisements

I've been known to mail a couple bombers or four out to random folks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 08:28 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,668,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
Many people who tout 'craft beers' as the antithesis to the major domestic labels probably discovered 'good' beer relatively recently and/or later in life.
Guilty as charged. Used to drink a lot of Mexican beers and still rarely turn down an ice cold PBR.
For me, there is certainly a time and a place for an ice cold chugging beer.
After a hard day of work or play, that first beer is going to go down quick, so light and cold is ok.

But when I want to really ENJOY a beer, I pull out something with a lot more flavor.
And in Colorado we have SO many options. I really enjoy trying new beers and my "favorite" beer changes weekly. Sometimes it is a wheat or a pale ale or maybe I want more hops and go with an IPA but over the winter I lean towards stouts and porters.

This year my favorite ski beer was a Java Stout. A complete breakfast in a can!

Got to go, I'm suddenly very thirsty.

Last edited by Eddyline; 04-29-2014 at 08:45 PM..

Old 04-29-2014, 09:18 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,464,766 times
Quote:
It sounds like you have me all figured out. So since I drink the cheaper mass produced "crap" AND the craft beers with supercool names, as well as wine and liquor of many sorts and I like them all for different reasons at different times, that makes me one dimensional in my choice of beverages. Good to know. Thanks.
Quote:

Many people who tout 'craft beers' as the antithesis to the major domestic labels probably discovered 'good' beer relatively recently and/or later in life so they see it as some sort of gospel they need to spread to save the masses from coors-henna or whatever. What they don't realize is that a lot of people still still drinking cheap "crap" have just 'been there, done that' wight he microbrew thing and are over it. These days, I prefer things that don't turn my stomach into an expired car battery, which would be red wine, just about any quality liquor, or if I must, a cheap, mass-produced beer.
Comments like these show me that you most certainly have not "been there done that". It means you have tasted some micro brews, concluded that they are all pretty much the same and went back to what you know. It's quite obvious that it's not your thing, and that's fine, but don't try to tell us that you're somehow more enlightened because you tried some beers that didn't taste like the stuff you grew up with and didn't like them.

The fact is that craft beers run the gambit from light to heavy, dark to light, strong to weak, funky to traditional, bitter to smooth, and sour to sweet. There are plenty of craft beers that are sessionable. In fact they are brewed to be able to be consumed in large quantities, still have more flavor than a macro lager, and not turn your stomach into an expired car battery as you so eloquently put it.

Macro lagers were brewed to be completely non offensive to anyone. The goal was to appeal to the broadest market possible. They are very good at what they do. In doing this however, you get rid of anything that makes them distinct. If your goal is drinking to get a buzz, macro lagers do the trick. If you are drinking to savor the flavor they fall short very quickly. Flavor is not their goal.

I don't think you are any less of a person for not delving into craft beer. I don't get scotch. I recognize that this is likely because I haven't spent near the amount of time sampling scotch that scotch fans have.

Last edited by SkyDog77; 04-29-2014 at 10:24 PM..

Old 04-30-2014, 09:27 AM

26,134 posts, read 48,779,992 times
I'm from Baltimore. Back there, our favorite beer is Other People's. I drink very little beer these days, with all my meds it puts me to sleep or causes a headache, but I like to have a pale one at a local brewpub with a burger and fries. More and more I hate to have even one drink if I'm going to drive. I drank tons of the mass produced stuff, Bud, Schlitz, etc, but more and more I like stuff with a bit more flavor, be it a Corona or a Tsinghao or a pale one from a local brewpub very near the house.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:30 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,984,908 times
Been loving Milk, Coffee, Chocolate Stouts lately.

Horchata Porter from Elevation Brewery, Milk Stout of course from Left Hand, Niobara Stout from Grist, Chocolate Yeti Stout from Great Divide to name a few.

38 State Brewery that's opening on May 10th has a Chocolate Stout on tap I'll have to try

Old 05-01-2014, 11:08 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,558,348 times
Hi my beer lovers. I will be attending this yet again this year: Beer Festival - Saturday, June 07, 2014 2:00 PM - 6:00 PM

Old 05-01-2014, 11:28 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,355,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Comments like these show me that you most certainly have not "been there done that". It means you have tasted some micro brews, concluded that they are all pretty much the same and went back to what you know. It's quite obvious that it's not your thing, and that's fine, but don't try to tell us that you're somehow more enlightened because you tried some beers that didn't taste like the stuff you grew up with and didn't like them.
Back in the 90's… I worked in a microbrew in Northern California, bars and fine restaurants in So Cal, and traveled across the US multiple times in my beat up '57 chevy touring breweries, hosting catered-bar events, and sampling everything I could get my hands on. Does that make me "enlightened" or was I just drinking 'what I grew up with'?

The fact is that I know a lot about beer, but mostly through hands-on experience and not in some pretentious 'I'm-gonna-tell-you-what's-good' way. It happens that I rarely drink beer at all anymore because it just doesn't agree with me most of the time. But I still appreciate a variety of beers and I don't categorically put down the big domestic labels as "crap" just because that's what's popular now. They both have a place in my life, albeit very much in moderation compared to the past. These days, if I'm going to have a beer, it's usually a Corona because a) it's readily available almost everywhere, b) it's light and easy to drink and hold down and c) it's perceived as just high enough in 'quality' that I don't have to hear the beer snobs (who actually know nothing) around me go 'eeww dude you're drinking p-water!!'. It's not because I think the 'craft' beers are icky… My preference just differs from what most 'beer lovers' think is good right now. But I also don't go beer-tasting with my toddlers, so I guess we differ in multiple ways.

I mentioned whiskey, not scotch specifically, as one of my preferred alternatives, which is not necessarily the same. I'll drink scotch, but I'm not very picky about it and I'm far from whatever you're thinking of as a 'scotch-guy' which is the most pretentious of all imbibers. I like to drink dark or light liquor at times, not because of some classy nose, touch of austerity, estery aroma, or blah blah blah… but because I only have to sip a few ounces at a time leaving my stomach relatively empty for things like food and, you know, water, which allows me to experience all of the benefits and none of the drawbacks. Red wine is the best of both worlds to me, because I can drink a bit more in volume, and thus enjoy it over a longer period, but I'm still not filling my stomach with a gallon of high-calorie-grain-fizz, which is a recipe for a sleepless night, and a waste of some perfectly good alcohol & water, IMO.

Last edited by otterprods; 05-01-2014 at 12:16 PM..

Old 05-01-2014, 11:41 AM

Quote:
I worked in a microbrew in Northern California, bars and fine restaurants in So Cal, traveled across the US multiple times in my '57 chevy throughout the 90's touring breweries, hosting catered-bar events, and sampling everything I could get my hands on. Does that make me "enlightened" or was I just drinking 'what I grew up with'?

The fact is that I know a lot about beer, but mostly through hands-on experience and not in some pretentious 'I'm-gonna-tell-you-what's-good' way. It happens that I rarely drink beer at all anymore because it just doesn't agree with me most of the time. But I still appreciate a variety of beers for what they are and would drink them all if I could afford the calories and the digestive disturbance. And I don't categorically put down the big domestic labels as "crap" just because that's what's popular now. They both have a place in my life, albeit very much in moderation right now. But I also don't go beer-tasting with my toddler, so I guess we differ in multiple ways.

I mentioned, whiskey, not scotch specifically, as one of my preferred alternatives, which is not necessarily the same. I'll drink scotch, but I'm not very picky about it and I'm far from whatever you're thinking of as a 'scotch-guy' which is the most pretentious of all imbibers. I like to drink dark or light liquor at times, not because of some classy nose, touch of austerity, estery aroma, or blah blah blah… but because I only have to sip a few ounces at a time leaving my stomach relatively empty for things like food and, you know, water, which allows me to experience all of the benefits and none of the drawbacks. Red wine is the best of both worlds to me, because I can drink a bit more in volume, and thus enjoy it over a longer period, but I'm still not filling my stomach with a gallon of high-calorie-grain-fizz, which is a recipe for a sleepless night.
1 glass of red wine = 150-300 calories (depending on type)

1 bottle of Breckenridge Vanilla Porter (example of sweet and dark) = 218 calories

1 bottle of New Belgium Sunshine Wheat (example of lighter wheat beer) = 140 calories

Old 05-01-2014, 12:07 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,355,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
1 glass of red wine = 150-300 calories (depending on type)

1 bottle of Breckenridge Vanilla Porter (example of sweet and dark) = 218 calories

1 bottle of New Belgium Sunshine Wheat (example of lighter wheat beer) = 140 calories
Right, and how many 12+-ounce glasses of beer do people tend to drink at a sitting, compared to glasses of wine or shots of whiskey? I was over-simplifying for the sake of not rambling on forever so if you want to google out factoids to try to prove me 'wrong' you will succeed. Besides, I was already editing that part out while you were responding, but I guess you caught me.

My whole reason for entering this thread was that the great thing about beer used to be that it was the opposite of pretentious (compared to wine or scotch tasting) and I was wondering when that had changed.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Right and how many 12+-ounce glasses of beer do people tend to drink at a sitting, compared to glasses of wine or shots of whiskey? Besides I was over-simplifying for the sake of not rambling on forever so if you want to google out factoids to try to prove me 'wrong' you will succeed. My whole point was that the great thing about beer used to be that it was the opposite of pretentious (compared to wine or scotch tasting) and I was wondering when that had changed.
Well you keep bringing up calories and talk about high calorie fizz water, etc.. so I'm making a point that wine has calories as well, sometimes even more than many beers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver