U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 11:52 AM

8 posts, read 10,258 times

Advertisements

Hi folks! Another mover question. I am a 31 yr female getting ready to pack up and drive to Denver from Seattle in October. I don't have a place to move to quite yet and am getting a little nervous when looking at places to rent. I know I want to live within short drive to to the downtown area and close to a park or good walking score. I can do about $900/month rent and have a small dog.
Other forums seem to suggest Wash park to posters similar to me but I am not finding a lot of options that works for me around there yet. I have also heard of City park and am worried that area is "younger". I'd really prefer not to be in a predominantly college aged or young hipster area.
My question really is what are the areas called that would fit the bill. I keep finding rentals in Aurora and Westminster and was sort of under the impression those are not as nice? I want to feel safe walking at night or near nicer neighborhoods preferred.

Work is flexible so that is not a concern. I have lived in Queen Anne of Seattle (love) and Bankers Hill by Balboa Park in San Diego (love love) so if you are familiar with those areas, that is pretty much what I am looking for.

Thank you for your time and suggestions!! And if you happen to hear of a condo for rent for a responsible renter with great rental history in an area that works, send them my way!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 12:44 PM

29 posts, read 77,497 times
Check into the Highlands and Sloan Lake area. Berkley may be ok. Cap Hill does have a fair share of people in their 20s (and hipsters), but thats not all that is there, so you should be fine looking there. Wash Park is great, if you can find a place there. The nearby Baker neighborhood can be nice too. It's becoming gentrified, so it has charm but can be good block/bad block. Belmar in Lakewood may be nice as well, though it is not particularly close to Downtown. Walkability is hit or miss in Denver. It's a lot of suburban layout and a lot of big box stores. But you can find great places that are walkable in all parts of town.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:45 PM

352 posts, read 673,696 times
If I was going to move from Denver I'd move to Seattle. What about Seattle are you getting away from, if that's the proper thing to ask. I grew up in Tacoma. I know it rains a lot but I don't like to get out in the sun much these days after working outdoors for 20 years.

Old 09-13-2012, 05:53 PM

213 posts, read 624,790 times
I say if you don't mind a short drive, try south of the metro area in Douglas County; Highlands Ranch, Parker, Lone Tree, maybe even Castle Rock I know for that price you can definately find an apt in Castle Rock for that, I lived in Castle Rock for awhile and felt perfectly safe walking at night, plenty of places to walk and an adorable down town area.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:39 PM

556 posts, read 1,137,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by straw71 View Post
I say if you don't mind a short drive, try south of the metro area in Douglas County; Highlands Ranch, Parker, Lone Tree, maybe even Castle Rock I know for that price you can definately find an apt in Castle Rock for that, I lived in Castle Rock for awhile and felt perfectly safe walking at night, plenty of places to walk and an adorable down town area.
close to downtown with a good walk score?

Old 09-14-2012, 10:32 AM

Thanks for your replies. I will check out a few of those. I have heard of the Highlands once before when I visited for the wknd but honestly the area I drove through had barred windows and graffiti etc. I was a little frightened to consider that one. Maybe I was in the wrong block of the Highlands! =O

As for why I am leaving Seattle... Well the biggest reason has got to be sunshine. I can handle rain if I can see a peak of sun every once in awhile but I swear you begin to see in black in white here. Silver cars, with black or grey dressed people, grey sky, grey buildings.. You get the idea. Also, In the years I have lived here I have never felt a great connection to it here either and this will be my 2nd time moving away. (Blame love for my moving back from San Diego...which didn't work out) =P
It's a beautiful state, just not for me.

Old 09-14-2012, 01:58 PM

284 posts, read 482,056 times
My wife and I live in the Tanglewood estates complex in Westminster. Nice place, clean, young professionals and families. Very close to I-25 and there is a bus down the street that takes you right into downtown in less than 30 minutes. You should be able to get a 1br for around $900. And it is very pet friendly. There are several parks all within walking distance.

The neighborhood is also very safe and clean.

PM me if you are interested..I can give you the name of a leasing agent who helped us.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:52 PM

2,949 posts, read 4,458,276 times
Jacoby23 has suggested a good location. From his complex you can walk to the Big Dry Creek Dog Park via a very nice neighborhood. Just across 128th from the dog park is a nice natural open space trail for a shorter stroll (sort of marsh like). In addition you can head south from the dog park on the trail system to the College Hill Library. Some water with trails around it right by the library but this is a longer walk. Lots of people bike on this trail also. If you keep going you will find your self at the Westminster City Park recreation center with pool, workout rooms etc. We like strolling all along these trails, particularly in the winter because they are very exposed so the snow melts off them pretty quickly.

The drive downtown is about 20 min. in off commute hours. The bus is also a good option. The bus to the airport from there is very convenient. We have taken it for longer trips. Across the street from the complex is a Delectable Egg breakfast place along with C.B. Potts for socialization (some other restaurants to). There is a Safeway across from the dog park so it is easily walking distance. However I prefer the King Sooper on 136th or the natural grocery stores like Vitamin Cottage and Sunflower Market which are both close by but driving distance. You will feel 100% safe walking in this area. However you will not get an urban vibe. It is very much the safe walkable suburbs with excellent trail access.

Nearby shopping is all you could want for everyday needs (Costco, Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, JC Penny, Target, etc). If you want the ritzy experience the Flat Irons mall or Cherry Creek Mall are both about 30 min. away. Good people watching with your dog can be had at EB Rains Jr Memorial Park. This is very close but I drive there because it is across I-25. It is a happening place (almost as busy and crowded as Wash Park but not quite, so to me more fun). If you want solitude in your stroll and don't mind a longer walk you can go north to McKay Lake. This is a nice walk from the apartment complex if you want to get some distance in. EastLake which is a short drive (again across I-25) is in between. You'll see more people than at McKay but less than EB Rains. A great place to eat out with your dog is at the Orchard Town Center. They have lots of restaurants with patios so people bring their dog and eat outside. Probably driving distance but a very short drive to the north.

Old 09-18-2012, 01:42 PM

Dog friendly areas' are a big draw for me. Thanks for that info. I plan on arriving Oct 15 or so and will look into those. Hopefully I will find the perfect set-up by the 1st of November.....That is the plan anyways. ;-)

Again thanks for the advice. Cheers!

Old 09-18-2012, 03:27 PM

459 posts, read 759,317 times
Ugh walkable is not just a real estate buzzword that can be applied to anywhere with a sidewalk. Very few parts of Westminster are walkable and the area they are suggesting is not one. If you are considering the suburbs look at Olde Towne Arvada, Downtown Littleton, or Englewood (near the LRT). However most of the walkable areas are in the city because most of the metro area growth occurred after the automobile became the dominant mode of transportation.

I am close in age to you and as long as you stay out of LoDo/Ballpark you should be fine. Highlands is really nice and age appropriate. Not sure where you were in the Highlands (somewhere along 38th?), but check out 32nd and Lowell in West Highland, or walk around 16th and Boulder, and then make up your mind (driving never gives a good representation of an urban neighborhood). City Park West, Uptown, and around Cheeseman Park are less trendy (cheaper) than Highland and I think would work for you. Baker would also be good, but it's a bit hipster though. I am somewhat familiar with Queen Anne and I would think City Park West would be the closest match to that neighborhood.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver