Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 07:27 PM

704 posts, read 1,788,547 times

Advertisements

Plenty of people leave Denver. It is, in many ways, a bit of a prolonged vacation spot for people. They come for a few years, enjoy the outdoors, and either stay and start a family in the bountiful suburbs and go after realizing that Denver is the sort of place where, if you've seen it before, you've seen it all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 09:27 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,800,907 times
As usual we get the whole look who's moving here thing.I am currently living here as a front range native, though not( Denver native) am really only here because of a family issue. I don't know part of me wants to stay, but a larger part wants to move back to the West Coast(Southern Cal.) full time. I miss the weather,beaches,surfing, but there are a ton of negatives out there too IMO as well. Not sure if the really stressfull family issues are currently tainting my views on Denver or if I'm ready to solidly relocate. I have quite a large number of Denver native friends that have relocated to Seattle for some reason and a few in LA. My Boulder native friends(really is home) almost all live out of state or at the very least out of Boulder like myself.
Don't let my current opionions scare outsiders from moving here; actually I used to sell real estate and know the ins and outs of Denver proper better than most. Colorado is a great place as is Denver, but seriously considering a move back to California, while they continue to flood this place..who knows. People reading these posts considering a move to Denver right now could do much worse. Denver is nice city, but the mountains here IMO are where it's really at. May change my mind and stay, kind of in limbo.
FYI some people referencing the cancer moving here are generally looked at as hillbillies by the population.

Last edited by Scott5280; 04-03-2013 at 10:16 AM..

Old 04-03-2013, 09:31 AM

2,140 posts, read 6,455,598 times
I'm thinking of Portland - greener pastures and like-minded people.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:32 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,835,496 times
I grew up in Denver and left after college. I didn't like the large degree of sprawl or the hot summers. I did like the winters though. Not to mention the city itself isn't all that interesting. I moved to Seattle which has a great balance of suburban and urban living. I love the way the city and surrounding areas are laid out. The only downsides: very little snow in the city and the price of housing is disgustingly high.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:13 AM

2,140 posts, read 6,455,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
I grew up in Denver and left after college. I didn't like the large degree of sprawl or the hot summers. I did like the winters though. Not to mention the city itself isn't all that interesting. I moved to Seattle which has a great balance of suburban and urban living. I love the way the city and surrounding areas are laid out. The only downsides: very little snow in the city and the price of housing is disgustingly high.
Did you have a hard time with the lack of sun adjustment?

Old 04-03-2013, 11:58 AM

3,032 posts, read 5,252,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalahartma View Post
I'm thinking of Portland - greener pastures and like-minded people.
You will never be sorry you moved to Portland

Old 04-03-2013, 12:25 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,835,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalahartma View Post
Did you have a hard time with the lack of sun adjustment?
Actually it wasn't bad for me. The short days were worse than the lack of sun but that's only because I work very long hours. It helps that it's rarely too rainy or cold to go outside and do what you want.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:11 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,162,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
Actually it wasn't bad for me. The short days were worse than the lack of sun but that's only because I work very long hours. It helps that it's rarely too rainy or cold to go outside and do what you want.
I thought Portland was beautiful when I was there a couple Novembers ago. But yeah, it got dark early being that far north. I don't know how well I'd deal with the gloominess if I lived there though. I lived in Germany for 3 years where winters were similar... rainy, cold and cloudy. I didn't care for it. But I'd still give Seattle or Portland a shot if work took me there.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:41 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,125,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
My guess is it's a combination of recent legislation regarding gun control, gay civil unions, leagalization of pot, and then that the state is completely controlled by Democrats. Could be a reference to CO's Hispanic population and/or perception that there are many illegal immigrants here.
All plusses in my book.

Anyway...after 16 years in Colorado (the last seven in Denver) I moved to Michigan in 2000. Not because I wanted to leave Colorado exactly, although I was getting dispirited with the way Denver turned from a cool cowtown into a congested city surrounded by soulless suburbs.

There are plenty of things I miss about Denver and surrounding areas - great diversity and good food, the outdoorsy culture, the generally progressive mindset.

But I have found really a lot to like about Michigan too.

Old 04-03-2013, 02:34 PM

833 posts, read 1,708,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
Okay, which one is the cancer? All of the suggested above? At least give me a multiple choice.

"...just that the cancer that's been eating away at different parts of the country has come to Colorado"

This must be CD's version of Facebook vaugebooking or puzzler status updates.
This probably refers to anything that the OP doesn't believe in/like. It could be any of the suggestions already mentioned, but it could also be women wearing pants, long hair on men or even cream of wheat.

Personally, I feel the chain restaurant epidemic needs government attention in the form of several large emergency grants that will allow us to start attacking it immediately. If suitable progress is not made quickly I believe we will have to legislate our way out of this mess by mandating locally owned restaurants be established between the chain restaurant locations thus preventing them from interacting and conspiring to overthrow the biblically defined culinary laws this land holds as a central moral pillar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver