Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2012, 01:26 AM

130 posts, read 162,478 times

Advertisements

My wife, 1-year-old daughter and I are flying to Denver in the morning for a 4-day "recon" / "fam" trip to check it out and see if it really is somewhere we'd like to live, as we think it is. We've been there a few times, and I lived there for several months for work (a long time ago), and from what we read it seems like a great match for our interests, style of living, etc.

I'm a San Diego native, my wife is from the Midwest, and we moved together from New York City to San Diego three years ago. My wife misses four seasons and hasn't really loved San Diego that much; and after living on the East Coast myself, I find my hometown somewhat boring as well in terms of climate, etc. (yes, the weather is close to "perfect," but it's also monotonously the "same" all the time). We love outdoor activities, hiking/backpacking, camping, bike riding, etc. so in that respect, Colorado is attractive. And putting down roots somewhere with a less expensive cost of living/real estate would be a plus.

We've paid close attention to this forum, have read the many "thinking of moving to Denver" threads, and have taken notes to guide our touring of the Denver area over the next few days. We have a pretty good idea of general areas to check out, but if anyone can share specific guidance for any of the neighborhoods listed below, we'd appreciate it. For example:

- "when visiting [insert-neighborhood-name], be sure to drive down the main business district along [insert-street-name]"
- "when you go to [insert-neighborhood-name], be sure to check out the homes on [insert-street-name]"
- "in [insert-neighborhood-name], there's a great ______________ at the corner of ______ and ______"

After 13 years in NYC, my wife is more into an urban neighborhood (so, for example, we'll be checking out Capitol Hill, Congress Park, Washington Park, Highlands, etc.). I might prefer something slightly more suburban, so we'll check out Westminster, Louisville, Broomfield, Littleton, Lafayette, etc. Either way, we'd both like to have some "stuff" within walking distance (grocery, restaurant, bar, stores, whatever). And with a kid, good schools will be important. Pretty typical wants.

Thanks for any recommendations for where to go/things to see while we're in town!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 09:28 AM

17,672 posts, read 29,566,012 times
In the City & County of Denver
Drive west on 32nd from Irving to Tennyson and then north on Tennyson to 46th.
You have seen all the "cute" retail for both West Highland and Berkeley.
Eat lunch at Axios. AXIOS Estiatorio - Northwest - Denver, CO

Old 11-02-2012, 09:40 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,089,132 times
As a general rule, living in Denver means substandard schools. There are some good schools in the city, but the best schools are in the suburbs.

That said, Denver is not urban at all compared to NYC. You will find nearly the same level of urban-ness (is that a word?) in the older parts of Englewood, Littleton, Louisville, Broomfield, Arvada, and Wheat Ridge as you will in Wash Park or the Highlands. These towns were all farm towns outside of Denver and each has its own small downtown/Main Street area, along with older houses and walkable neighborhoods. Inside of Denver, I might also suggest Stapleton (new urbanist). This area has many of the better schools in Denver.

Old 11-03-2012, 01:53 PM

59 posts, read 118,747 times
I just moved 1.5 yrs ago from Arvada, Co. to NY? I was getting a little tired of the sun every day in Colorado and missed the 4 seasons, I thought? It's really only semi green in Denver for 2-3 months a year, virtualy no humidity! As it turns out I would pay to relocate myself back there for the weather after going through this on the east coast! Long gray, gray, gray rainy fall weather, hot humid summers, long cold snowy winters and spring is so short can't remember if it rains or is just gray like fall? Check out Old Town Arvada. It is up and comming to your needs and the lite rail will be there by 2015? Good Luck

Old 11-04-2012, 08:08 AM

698 posts, read 2,039,510 times
My neighborhood, Bradburn Village (on Westminster/Broomfield border) would be a good middle ground for the neighborhood styles you and your wife both like. It's a walkable mixed use neighborhood in the suburbs and has the best of both urban and suburban: walkable to many shops (including grocery store Sprouts) and restaurants, higher density, cool architecture and interesting streetscapes, direct access to the Dry Creek Open Space with miles and miles of tails, great parks and playgrounds, and excellent schools.

Bradburn is filled with kids and extremely social--we have a very strong sense of community with many neighborhood events. It's not however, a good fit if you don't ever want to talk to/interact with your neighbors.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:52 AM

130 posts, read 162,478 times
Thanks, everyone! So far we've explored some if the central neighborhoods (Wash Park, Capitol Hill, Baker, Cherry Creek, Congress Park) and Boulder and environs (Louisville and Lafayette). Checking out Golden and the Highlands today, and maybe Wheat Ridge. Staying in Broomfield tonight, so will hit up the Westminster/Broomfield area tomorrow, along with some places toward the south (Littleton, Englewood, etc.). So far, Wash Park is our favorite. And it's been so awesome to see so many great fall colors! Thought we would've been too late for that.

Bradburn1, thanks for the reminder about Bradburn Village. Your analogy on another thread ("It's like Mayberry, but with beer") was probably the most memorable comment I've read on these forums with regard to Denver relocation. Your description on that and this thread does make it sound perfect for us, so we'll be sure to check it out.

Last edited by stricklandia; 11-04-2012 at 08:54 AM.. Reason: Adding more comments

Old 11-04-2012, 09:28 AM

17,672 posts, read 29,566,012 times
Default Good place

Quote:
Originally Posted by stricklandia View Post
...Wash Park is our favorite...
Cory Elementary is a very good school. So, if you moved to the east side of Wash Park, your child could probably attend Cory.
Even better would be living east of University Blvd in Electric Heights or Alta Vista (which are sub divisions within Cory-Merrill). Cheaper than Wash Park, but very nice.
(I lived in Bonnie Brae for 24 years.)

Cory - Colorado School Grades
DPS map - http://www.dpsk12.org/pdf/DPS_Distri...ap_2012_13.pdf
Police District 3 - Crime Statistics and Maps | Denver Police Department (avoid that hotbed of crime--The Cherry Creek Mall)

Old 11-04-2012, 10:59 AM

698 posts, read 2,039,510 times
Stricklandia, if you guys are in Bradburn in the morning or afternoon, make sure to eat at our new local, organic restaurant--Early Bird. Their food is awesome. Zen, Ted's, and the Exchange Tavern are also good but Early Bird is truly outstanding.

Also, if you want to see what the open space looks like, there are two access points, both on the south side of the neighborhood. You can see both paths into the open space on Google maps satellite view. There's a good little playground for your 1 year old at Osceola and W 117th Ct.

Last edited by Bradburn1; 11-04-2012 at 11:26 AM..

Old 11-04-2012, 01:14 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,202,031 times
Stricklandia, how did you like Louisville? Can I answer any questions about it for you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver