Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 02:34 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,206,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hts View Post
what's wrong with black bmw's (i have one)?

::dunno::
Nothing if you have it because you like black BMWs

They were pretty ubiquitous in L.A., though. I put up with a lot of people that complained about them being in the shop a lot (my boss' certainly was), and also complaining that they weren't very good as a family car (though I understand, they are a pretty safe car.) Seemed most people out there had them to advertise their status and success (presumably to attract more business) rather than because they were really into black bimmers.

Just to add, there are definitely some pretentious peeps around Cherry Creek and the Uptown area...though there are some down to earth types in those areas, as well.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 11-04-2012 at 07:54 PM.. Reason: Merged 2:1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 02:42 PM

792 posts, read 2,863,011 times
Denver is a pretty unpretentious place. Not to say that people will want to hangout with you, but they are generally quite decent.

Last edited by JBPisgah; 11-04-2012 at 03:06 PM..

Old 11-05-2012, 07:31 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,417,748 times
Answer: Yes. Which is very good on the wallet. Makes it much less expensive to keep up with the Jones' if you care about that LOL.

Only have visited Denver a couple of times but did not see anywhere near the kind of extravagance you typically see in Atlanta (car wise or clothes).

This video pretty accurately illustrates some typical sights on just about any given day around Buckhead. Some guy filmed these cars. Guess their owners aren't too pretentious really if they can really afford these automobiles but I know there are way way too many people in ATL riding cars they can't afford. Plus it kinda speaks for the materialism of people in the city that there are so many videos of expensive cars made on Youtube just in the Buckhead neighborhood alone.

Atlanta Carspotting February 20, 2010 - YouTube

Atlanta could expand the Marta lines for the price of these cars valet parked at Lenox Mall. Buckhead again. LOL

Lenox Mall Valet Rundown - YouTube

Old 11-06-2012, 03:01 AM

95 posts, read 186,430 times
I lived in Atlanta for 8 years and never did I see the Atlanta police clocking drivers during morning rush hour like I have seen here in Denver. Also, in Atlanta, the speed limits make sense. Here in Denver the major thoroughfare through the city (Speer rd) is 6 lanes total but has a speed limit of just 30mph. In Atlanta, a common 2 lane road has a speed limit of 35-45mph, and a 6lane road is 45mph typically. I drive a cheap economy car and I'm scared to death to take it above 2nd gear. I can't imagine anyone with a Porsche ever going past 1st gear here in Denver with all the cops hiding behind the bushes in the rich white neighborhoods instead of growing some balls and fighting real crime.

Secondly, you have to have money to be pretentious in the first place. There isn't as much money in Denver because companies don't want to relocate to a slow-paced city.

That is why Atlanta has 3rd or 4th highest Fortune 500 presence in the U.S. and why Denver is just a little pitstop for vacationers on the way to the slopes, combined with old equity locust retirees from California who have nowhere to get to on-time.

Third, as a business owner, I would rather be around people who like to spend money than frugal cheapos who don't.

Pretension is better for the economy.

BUT, positive note for Denver is that the drab sense of style of the people here makes me feel like a rich cosmopolitan supermodel. In fact I see on a daily basis that cars that I didn't even know still existed on the roads because they were decommissioned 15 years ago in the rest of the country. I find myself constantly taking photos of these old cars and posting on facebook because it's so funny how far behind everyting is here!

Last edited by filmsequal; 11-06-2012 at 03:16 AM..

Old 11-06-2012, 08:01 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,249,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmsequal View Post
Here in Denver the major thoroughfare through the city (Speer rd) is 6 lanes total but has a speed limit of just 30mph.
I wouldn't call Speer Blvd "the major thoroughfare" and the lanes on that road are awfully narrow, with the outer lanes dipping into the gutter.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:21 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,566,343 times
Quote:
Shoot. I'm contemplating a relo to Denver, but I drive a black BMW, used to live in DC (Northern VA suburbs) and now reside just outside of Snottsdale. I sure hope I'm not pretentious.
My wife drives a black BMW and she isn't pretentious. Great car.

I moved here from San Diego. The transition was easy and I found both cities similar in pretentiousness. I love how laid back both cities are. I work in the IT industry and I go into work with jeans on every day. If I could wear shorts to work I would.

Old 11-06-2012, 09:58 AM

1,225 posts, read 3,220,208 times
Quote:
I lived in Atlanta for 8 years and never did I see the Atlanta police clocking drivers during morning rush hour like I have seen here in Denver. Also, in Atlanta, the speed limits make sense. Here in Denver the major thoroughfare through the city (Speer rd) is 6 lanes total but has a speed limit of just 30mph. In Atlanta, a common 2 lane road has a speed limit of 35-45mph, and a 6lane road is 45mph typically. I drive a cheap economy car and I'm scared to death to take it above 2nd gear. I can't imagine anyone with a Porsche ever going past 1st gear here in Denver with all the cops hiding behind the bushes in the rich white neighborhoods instead of growing some balls and fighting real crime.

Secondly, you have to have money to be pretentious in the first place. There isn't as much money in Denver because companies don't want to relocate to a slow-paced city.

That is why Atlanta has 3rd or 4th highest Fortune 500 presence in the U.S. and why Denver is just a little pitstop for vacationers on the way to the slopes, combined with old equity locust retirees from California who have nowhere to get to on-time.

Third, as a business owner, I would rather be around people who like to spend money than frugal cheapos who don't.

BUT, positive note for Denver is that the drab sense of style of the people here makes me feel like a rich cosmopolitan supermodel. In fact I see on a daily basis that cars that I didn't even know still existed on the roads because they were decommissioned 15 years ago in the rest of the country. I find myself constantly taking photos of these old cars and posting on facebook because it's so funny how far behind everyting is here!
Denver is much more than a pitstop for vacationers, cityfilms. There are many major companies in Denver. In fact, the Denver metro area is home to 9 Fortune 500 companies while Atlanta is home to 13. Considering that the Atlanta metro area is almost twice as large as Denver's I'd say that we're doing pretty well. Denver's unemployment rate is also lower than Atlanta's at the present moment.

There's alot of money in the Denver area. Denver's median household income is 10th highest of US metropolitan areas (Atlanta is 8th). Douglas County in suburban south Denver is the 9th wealthiest county in the United States. No county in GA even made the top 20. Forsyth County is the 30th wealthiest county, however.
Highest-income metropolitan statistical areas in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
List of highest-income counties in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

One thing that I admit is frustrating about Denver is the higher cost of living. It seems to me that your money would go much farther in Atlanta. I feel that salaries here have not kept up with the crazy cost of living increase that has occurred over the last decade or so.

To answer the OP's question, there are plenty of pretentious people here. I've found many people here to have a standoffish and snobby demeanor, but that certainly doesn't apply to everyone. There are plenty of friendly, down to earth people as well. I believe that people are people regardless of their geographical location.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:50 PM

13 posts, read 15,807 times
Quote:
what's wrong with black bmw's (i have one)?

::dunno::
I wanted to know too, and my license plate is TX. I'm doomed in this case, I guess. :/

Old 01-04-2013, 11:05 PM

86 posts, read 126,347 times
Quote:

They always say not to feed the trolls.. But I live in NYC, work for a fortune 50, and would rather blow my brains out than live in Atlanta. Denver on the other hand seems great.
30 mph is believed to be the boundary between death and life for a pedestrian hit. Using cars and speed to show off is ridiculous. I would love to live in a city where the biggest problem is speeders and not murder.
Oh and Atlanta is a hot bed of trend and business? I've only ever, unfortunately, seen it on terrible reality tv shows.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:56 PM

23 posts, read 38,027 times
The style of denver isn't pretencious, but the peoples attitudes certainly are and this topic proves it. Denver is nowhere near miami or dallas level. Both those cities metros are more than twice denvers size and miami is quite possibly the most diverse international city in the world. The people I have met in and from denver like to dress and drive cheap low quality stuff, but they like to act like there gods greatest gift to mankind and the greatest supior ra from the wolds greatest place. Houston, atlanta, dallas, & even miami from my experience as a whe have much more humble people. They simply have more style.o
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver