Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 12:03 AM

23 posts, read 38,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owain1 View Post
They always say not to feed the trolls.. But I live in NYC, work for a fortune 50, and would rather blow my brains out than live in Atlanta. Denver on the other hand seems great.
30 mph is believed to be the boundary between death and life for a pedestrian hit. Using cars and speed to show off is ridiculous. I would love to live in a city where the biggest problem is speeders and not murder.
Oh and Atlanta is a hot bed of trend and business? I've only ever, unfortunately, seen it on terrible reality tv shows.
I've spent considerable time in both denver and atlanta. I thought I would love denver, I hated it. I thought I would hate atlanta, loved it. The culture of denver from my experience is to be extremely fake and passive agressive, and the words style and denver do not go together at all. Everything there just seemed very backward to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 12:35 AM

15 posts, read 25,293 times
Default Welcome

Welcome to City-Data, BIGBILLYBADASS.

I think you'll find nothing says "I'm a badass" like chatting on sites like City-Data. Join the melee.

Old 01-05-2013, 02:32 PM

704 posts, read 1,792,297 times
It's a cowtown.

But it's a cowtown with beautiful natural scenery, nice suburbs, and enough sophistication to make it a pretty interesting place. There's a lot to boast about, but prancing around like you're Miami, Atlanta, Chicago, etc. is silly.

Old 01-05-2013, 03:08 PM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times
Default And, a lot to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post
It's a cowtown.... There's a lot to boast about
And, a lot to roast.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:31 PM

86 posts, read 126,954 times
Default Atlanta?

Miami is a tier 1 place. Denver earns that title because it is the gateway to the Rockies. But Atlanta? If people around the world don't know it it isn't exactly the place to be...

Old 01-06-2013, 12:37 PM

371 posts, read 1,211,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
Yes there are plenty of pretentious people in Denver and throughout the front range, however it is a different pretension. Instead of BMWs and top of the line clothing, it is what sports you are participating in, how much hiking/skiing/biking you are involved in, your zip code, what school your kids go to, and what kind of car you drive that many try to define others by.
This is so true! That's exactly what I was going to say. I will say that I used to live in Vail and it was SO much worse up there with the spots/hiking/skiing/boarding etc. The ironic thing is most people would describe themselves as "laid back" but I found them to be extremely pretentious and that's why I moved. By comparison, people in Denver aren't half as bad. The nice thing about Denver is that there are so many other transplants who don't have the typical Colorado attitude of being snobby about outdoor athletics. I've been here for about 6 months and found making new friends very easy here, because I mostly hang out with other transplants. I find the people to be very down to earth. The thing that cracks me up about the Denver natives is the snobbery about neighborhoods/what they think is "dangerous" or a "bad neighborhood." Denver's "worst" neighborhoods don't compare at all to truly bad areas of other cities.

Old 01-06-2013, 03:53 PM

670 posts, read 1,172,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
Is Denver less pretentious than other comparable cities such as
Dallas
Miami
Houston
How in the heck did you come up with those cities as comps?
Not even close.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:38 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,778,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
My wife drives a black BMW and she isn't pretentious. Great car.
There may have been a time in the past when a BMW had more prestige, but nowadays its firmly taken a place in middle class America. There's a lot of "non-pretentious" vehicles in the same $35k - $60k price range (crewcab pickup trucks, various SUVs) and when you consider that price range is not much higher than other more "typical" middle-class cars, its not a great leap of faith to see how it has become integrated into middle class life.

So our definition of "pretentitous" probably has to be updated to keep with the times!

Old 01-06-2013, 07:44 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,306,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison21 View Post
This is so true! That's exactly what I was going to say. I will say that I used to live in Vail and it was SO much worse up there with the spots/hiking/skiing/boarding etc. The ironic thing is most people would describe themselves as "laid back" but I found them to be extremely pretentious and that's why I moved. By comparison, people in Denver aren't half as bad. The nice thing about Denver is that there are so many other transplants who don't have the typical Colorado attitude of being snobby about outdoor athletics. I've been here for about 6 months and found making new friends very easy here, because I mostly hang out with other transplants. I find the people to be very down to earth. The thing that cracks me up about the Denver natives is the snobbery about neighborhoods/what they think is "dangerous" or a "bad neighborhood." Denver's "worst" neighborhoods don't compare at all to truly bad areas of other cities.
I agree. I find that the recent transplants here are a lot friendlier and down to earth than the "born and raised" natives and long-timers. And I say this as a Denver native.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:29 PM

37 posts, read 45,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
Yes there are plenty of pretentious people in Denver and throughout the front range, however it is a different pretension. Instead of BMWs and top of the line clothing, it is what sports you are participating in, how much hiking/skiing/biking you are involved in,
I have lived in Dallas and Miami...and yes this is spot on. Denver is not pretentious in that way, it's more about the notches you get from outdoor activities.

If you're a true city person, you won't fit in very well here. I meet people who do outdoor activities as well and seldom if ever extend an invitation to join. It's very closed in and with the same group of people they've always known.

What's funny is I live in a complex near the mountains and I rarely hear about people talk about going skiing, and the friends I know never talk about it either. So I really don't know who the hell are these people who are going. The ones who do, seem really insular about it and almost secretive.

Miami is not pretentious like that. You don't have to jet ski and waterboard to enjoy the beach. People make dates regularly just meeting up at the beach. It costs nothing. I went this past October and it was so much more accessible than any ski resort in Colorado. Because when you go to the beach, you don't have to go just to ski. You can shop, drink, stay in a hotel, bike, get a tattoo. You can bring a radio and cooler and talk about everything under the sun. You can't do **** all in Colorado mountain towns. If you're not there to ski you have no business being there.

Last edited by Fit4Fit; 01-06-2013 at 08:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver