Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 05:59 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,027,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
San Francisco has 3 teams with a hockey team down the road in San Jose (But, really, does anyone really like hockey? How many people on this forum realize that the hockey season should be a month old, but the owners lockout has kept the season from starting?) The Bay Area as a whole has 6 teams: 2 baseball (NL and AL), 2 football (AFC and NFC), 1 basketball, and 1 hockey.
And they are losing the football team to Santa Clara. Having a team in another city 50 miles away, is not the same as having it in your own city. Otherwise by that logic, Colorado Springs is a four team town. Because people can drive to Denver to see them.

Quote:
The seasons aren't traditional, but they exist:
Spring is warm and dry (by SF standards)
Summer is foggy, overcast, and cooler
Fall is warm, dry, and sunny (best weather of the year)
Winter is rainy.
I don't think that is what most people have in mind when you say four seasons.

//www.city-data.com/forum/weath...n-climate.html

Quote:
Denver crime rate: 40 per 1000 residents
SF crime rate: 48 per 1000 residents (0.8% higher)
8% higher can be the difference between people feeling safe, or not.

Quote:
SF unemployment: 7.9%
Denver unemployment: 7.9%

Not as bad as you paint it to be.
I'll give you that last point. I'm not trying to paint SF to be bad. Personally I prefer the Bay Area. But I don't think its what the OP is looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 07:14 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,812,481 times
Default Idiots

Quote:
Quote:
Quote: Denver crime rate: 40 per 1000 residents
SF crime rate: 48 per 1000 residents (0.8% higher)
8% higher can be the difference between people feeling safe, or not.
48/40 is not 0.8% higher
48/40 is not 8% higher

I know that Barbie said: "Math is hard", but give me a break.

Both of you should be taken out the proverbial woodshed.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:24 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,027,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
48/40 is not 0.8% higher
48/40 is not 8% higher

I know that Barbie said: "Math is hard", but give me a break.

Both of you should be taken out the proverbial woodshed.
Thanks for pointing out my math FAIL.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:31 PM

818 posts, read 2,171,552 times
From your criteria it does sound like there are several places you can be happy. Just a quick question, in your career field (event planning), do you look for specific jobs (i.e. do a traditional job search), or do you contract? Sorry for my ignorance, but my point is that if you are doing a traditional job search, you could just search for jobs in several different cities where you know you can be happy and see which place produces the best opportunity.

If you do have to select a city first (and then look for clients/projects etc.), I would say your selection depends on some further explanation of your criteria.. and which ones are more important to you than the others.

Denver has a laid back, easy going vibe, all four sports teams, and a decent current economic situation. However, the four seasons are a little bit muddled, for instance, it snowed here in October, but the Weather Service is forecasting a high of 70 tomorrow. Cooler days in summertime and warm days (even in the 60s) in the winter occur fairly regularly. Getaway road trips are available, but not so much to other cities, but to more natural places like ski resorts, National Parks, etc.

Chicago also has all four sports teams, Cubs and Bears have great fan support. Definitely four distinct seasons, and there are a lot of good weekend getaways if you prefer weekend getaways to other cities and such. However, Chicago does have some high crime areas, and is not nearly as laid back. You would probably have some good career and social opportunities there, as it is the third largest city in the US and the largest in your consideration (LA has no season, and if you want laid back at all don't go to New York). However, if outdoor recreation matter to you, that is one area Chicago is lacking.

Plenty of people want all four seasons, but don't necessarily want winters as cold as those in Minneapolis. However, if you don't mind low temperatures regularly below zero and frequent days with highs below 20F, Minneapolis may be for you, as it has a good economy right now, all four professional sports and is pretty friendly and laid back.

With your laid back criteria, I would avoid New York, and Washington DC itself, but, as some other posters said, Boston or Northern Virginia could work for you. On the East Coast you will get less extreme seasons due to the proximity of the Atlantic Ocean, but you will get seasons there. Boston has die hard sports fans across the board, and a little of both world when it comes to weekend getaways (Natural beauty, ski mountains, etc., but you can also visit NYC for a large city getaway). I don't know much about their singles scene and career opportunities though. Northern Virgina would have significantly less winter, and a somewhat different culture. However, with access to DC may be good career opportunities.

Finally, if you are willing to travel a little bit for one or two of the four major sports, that opens up some other places; specifically in the Midwest, where Pittsburgh, Ohio's 3Cs, Indianapolis, and possibly even Milwaukee could work. I think both Saint Louis and Kansas City have fairly high unemployment rates right now. KC has some real well off suburbs on the Kansas side, but that would provide little opportunities for singles scene/ meeting people.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:53 PM

108 posts, read 274,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJaye View Post
From your criteria it does sound like there are several places you can be happy. Just a quick question, in your career field (event planning), do you look for specific jobs (i.e. do a traditional job search), or do you contract? Sorry for my ignorance, but my point is that if you are doing a traditional job search, you could just search for jobs in several different cities where you know you can be happy and see which place produces the best opportunity.
Yeah, and I like a lot of cities but I haven't been to any of them except Denver. And I'm not exactly in the field yet, but I want to work for a big hotel. Like the Four Seasons or The Fairmont. I have looked for event planning jobs at the hotels I want to work for and none of them are hiring for event planning. And I don't know if they do or not? I've also thought of being an event planner for a sports team? Or doing something in sports but everywhere I look online about careers in sports without being an athlete is all negative.

Quote:
If you do have to select a city first (and then look for clients/projects etc.), I would say your selection depends on some further explanation of your criteria.. and which ones are more important to you than the others.
I like to plan ahead, so I know what to do or what I need to do. To get to where I wanna be.

Quote:
Denver has a laid back, easy going vibe, all four sports teams, and a decent current economic situation. However, the four seasons are a little bit muddled, for instance, it snowed here in October, but the Weather Service is forecasting a high of 70 tomorrow. Cooler days in summertime and warm days (even in the 60s) in the winter occur fairly regularly. Getaway road trips are available, but not so much to other cities, but to more natural places like ski resorts, National Parks, etc.
I agree with you completely about Denver, which is why I kinda don't like it.

Quote:
Chicago also has all four sports teams, Cubs and Bears have great fan support. Definitely four distinct seasons, and there are a lot of good weekend getaways if you prefer weekend getaways to other cities and such. However, Chicago does have some high crime areas, and is not nearly as laid back. You would probably have some good career and social opportunities there, as it is the third largest city in the US and the largest in your consideration (LA has no season, and if you want laid back at all don't go to New York). However, if outdoor recreation matter to you, that is one area Chicago is lacking.
That's what turns me away from Chicago is all that crime, I know crime happens but it happens too much in Chicago for my tastes. I love nature but I'm not crazy about being in it like camping.

Quote:
Plenty of people want all four seasons, but don't necessarily want winters as cold as those in Minneapolis. However, if you don't mind low temperatures regularly below zero and frequent days with highs below 20F, Minneapolis may be for you, as it has a good economy right now, all four professional sports and is pretty friendly and laid back.
For some reason, I'm really attracted too Minneapolis and I can take the winters but I don't think event planning is big there. But the hotels I want to work for, don't have a location in Minneapolis.

Quote:
With your laid back criteria, I would avoid New York, and Washington DC itself, but, as some other posters said, Boston or Northern Virginia could work for you. On the East Coast you will get less extreme seasons due to the proximity of the Atlantic Ocean, but you will get seasons there. Boston has die hard sports fans across the board, and a little of both world when it comes to weekend getaways (Natural beauty, ski mountains, etc., but you can also visit NYC for a large city getaway). I don't know much about their singles scene and career opportunities though. Northern Virgina would have significantly less winter, and a somewhat different culture. However, with access to DC may be good career opportunities.

Finally, if you are willing to travel a little bit for one or two of the four major sports, that opens up some other places; specifically in the Midwest, where Pittsburgh, Ohio's 3Cs, Indianapolis, and possibly even Milwaukee could work. I think both Saint Louis and Kansas City have fairly high unemployment rates right now. KC has some real well off suburbs on the Kansas side, but that would provide little opportunities for singles scene/ meeting people.
Boston really fits what I am looking for in a city, and has the natural beauty I love. All I know about my career field in Boston is that, that is where event planners can make the most. New York is more of a place I would visit but I don't think I could ever live there, or LA.

I'm not really a fan of the Midwest except for Chicago or Minneapolis/Saint Paul.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:31 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
Here's a very prominent organization in the Balto-DC area that is into MAJOR event planning. It's listed as one of the best employers in that area.

It's in Columbia, MD, a very nice area s.w. of Baltimore and close enough to DC to commute by car or rail.

What do you think?
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Here's a very prominent organization in the Balto-DC area that is into MAJOR event planning. It's listed as one of the best employers in that area.

It's in Columbia, MD, a very nice area s.w. of Baltimore and close enough to DC to commute by car or rail.

What do you think?
That was a good article, and maybe working for a company who specializes in event planning would be better then working at a hotel. I never thought of doing events for the government. But I'm going to look into event planning companies, to see which industry I would like. But thank you for the suggestion, it really helped. And I'll also look into Columbia, MD.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:44 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,106,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikari616 View Post
Hello Everyone,

I'm trying to find a city I can make my home, I've moved a lot in my young life. I'm only 22. I was born in Newport, OR for 5 years but I was raised in Colorado Springs, CO for 10 years then we moved back to Oregon. I like to plan ahead because I think being prepared is very important. So I decided to make a list of what I wanted in a city, but I didn't know where to put it. So I put it in the Denver thread because I thought what I wanted matched up with the city. And I've been to Denver a lot when I lived there, but I haven't seen it since? So is it the same or has it changed? I've been on here enough to see that you have to be informative.

Here is what I want:

~Has to have sports (NFL, NHL, MLB, NBA).

~Has to have all four seasons.

~A medium to low crime rate.

~A medium to low unemployment rate.

~Has to have getaway road trips.

~Have to be able to get a job in Event Planning (what I want to do as a career).

~Make a good living in my career field.

~Have nice apartments etc. For a good price.

~Has a good singles scene.

~Has other ways to meet people besides bars (I don't drink).

~Has theme parks (I'm a kid at heart).

~Has a more laid back, easy going vibe to the city.

I hope this was enough information for you guys to help me, thank you.
I'm from Virginia, live in Denver, and spent a few days this past summer in Boston. Denver is nothing like east coast cities. NOVA can be a nightmare - some of the worst traffic in the country and it's crowded everywhere you go. The cost of living in DC and Boston is crazy too. I don't know how much money you'll make in your career, but that might be something to consider. I actually visited Boston because I was thinking of living there, but after seeing the cost of apartments...whew, I don't know.

My general opinion is I like the east coast because you can be so many other places in a short amount of time. Live in Boston and you can have weekends in DC, NYC, Philly, etc. Denver is isolated. You pretty much have to get on a plane to be in another big city. They all have 4 seasons, but Denver is sunny almost all of the time which I love. Also, I grew up a few hours away from the ocean and I miss it terribly. East coast cities are fast paced...Denver is more laid back. I like Denver because it has all the things I want in a city such as sports, great bars and restaurants, shopping, musuems, etc. but it isn't overwhelming.

I think you just need to spend a few days in each one and see how you feel. Good luck!

Old 11-21-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I'm from Virginia, live in Denver, and spent a few days this past summer in Boston. Denver is nothing like east coast cities. NOVA can be a nightmare - some of the worst traffic in the country and it's crowded everywhere you go. The cost of living in DC and Boston is crazy too. I don't know how much money you'll make in your career, but that might be something to consider. I actually visited Boston because I was thinking of living there, but after seeing the cost of apartments...whew, I don't know.
There is some things that I don't like about the east coast cities mainly the ones you mentioned, the cost and how it is super crowded. And those things are kinda what is turning me away from that area of the country. Maybe I want to live over there so badly, because I've never been there?

Quote:
My general opinion is I like the east coast because you can be so many other places in a short amount of time. Live in Boston and you can have weekends in DC, NYC, Philly, etc. Denver is isolated. You pretty much have to get on a plane to be in another big city. They all have 4 seasons, but Denver is sunny almost all of the time which I love. Also, I grew up a few hours away from the ocean and I miss it terribly. East coast cities are fast paced...Denver is more laid back. I like Denver because it has all the things I want in a city such as sports, great bars and restaurants, shopping, musuems, etc. but it isn't overwhelming.
That's one of many things that I like about the east coast, and how much easier it is to go to Europe (never been out of the country). I was born in Newport, OR but I was raised in Colorado Springs, CO for 10 years. But a couple of years ago we moved back to Oregon, so now! I love the ocean, I used to love the mountains. And I've also been thinking lately how it might be better to live somewhere warmer? Yeah, that is what is good about Denver. How its spread out, and I like that about Denver.

Quote:
I think you just need to spend a few days in each one and see how you feel. Good luck!
Yeah, your right and if I had the money to do that. I would! Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver