Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 07:08 PM

86 posts, read 126,993 times

Advertisements

I have to admit I am not opposed to a residential/suburban setting. Keeping in mind that I consider Brooklyn residential. We live in 500 sq foot 2 bedroom, which was a massive upgrade on the 200 the wife and I had before. Something with a backyard, two floors, and that isn't a fourth floor walk up is going to feel immense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 07:17 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,060,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owain1 View Post
I have to admit I am not opposed to a residential/suburban setting. Keeping in mind that I consider Brooklyn residential. We live in 500 sq foot 2 bedroom, which was a massive upgrade on the 200 the wife and I had before. Something with a backyard, two floors, and that isn't a fourth floor walk up is going to feel immense.
Good grief, 200 sq ft? 500 sq ft?

When you get here you're gonna think you've found the promised land. My Jewish buddy in FL grew up in Brooklyn in the 40s and 50s; he calls it the "old country." Emigrate from there and come live decently, breath CLEAN air, see the mountains, and enjoy the vastness of the west.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:03 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Default I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
I am not a fan of DPS. Some of the elementary schools are good, but those darn kids just keep growing up and before you know it, they are in middle school.
Infant son.
Slavens is K-8.
They buy and then have to move in 13 years! OMFG! They can't spend more than 13 years in the house before the cooties take over.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:26 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,184,279 times
If schools are top priority and walkability is also high on the want list, I'd suggest living in or near downtown Littleton. It will be much quieter then anywhere in NYC but it does have a walkable downtown with direct light rail access to downtown Denver as well as excellent schools, K-12 and it's more affordable then many, if not most of Denver's walkable neighborhoods.

I agree with what others have said about DPS. There are some great options for Elementary in DPS but once the kids get to middle school the list of good options drops off to just a few and that makes getting into those few schools very difficult so the option then becomes to risk it or move. You never know though, a lot could change between now and when your child starts middle school.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:11 AM

Hi, I see that there are town homes that seem affordable in Cherry Creek. Will it be hard to get my child into Steck? That area seems great for public transit, shops, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
This should be easy as you are the only people in greater Denver who want these attributes. Just kidding.

1. Walking distance to restaurants and shops means (in descending order of affordability):
Cherry Creek North (way too expensive)
Wash Park
Congress Park
Platt Park (South Pearl Street)
West Highland
Hampden South
Downtown Littleton
Downtown Englewood (the schools are weak)

2. Locations south of these are all auto-dominated.

3. I would give up walking to restaurants and look at schools first. Colorado has state-wide choice, but preference is given to those students who live within a school's boundary area. This is really important for highly-rated schools. If you pick a house because of a school area, then contact the school before making an offer. Just to be sure. And, don't trust a real-estate agent to know.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:18 AM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Default Live within the Steck area

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owain1 View Post
Hi, I see that there are town homes that seem affordable in Cherry Creek. Will it be hard to get my child into Steck? That area seems great for public transit, shops, etc.
Quote:
Neighborhood Applications must include:
Current lease and Notarized Steck Elementary School Resident Renter / Lessee Registration and Verification of Residency form (Click Here) – only for new applicants to Steck Elementary
OR
Current mortgage statement with property address and Notarized Steck Elementary School Resident Owner Registration and Verification of Residency form (Click Here) – only for new applicants to Steck Elementary
AND
Current utility bill (Comcast, Xcel, Denver Water) with service address (no phone bills)
Enrollment » Welcome to
Guaranteed IFF you live in the Steck area.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:55 PM

Default One last question and thanks for all the fishes.

Ok Folks, I've lurked on here for months now. I have one last question that may be qualitative though I think some of you will have a quantitative answer.
-As a healthcare\insurance finance guy which is a better bet career wise, Washington DC or Denver, Co?
Thanks for all the advice I have received on this forum!

Old 04-09-2013, 06:58 PM

11,828 posts, read 34,444,869 times
What are your goals? Do you like fast paced or medium? Do you like mountains or Ocean? Do you like a large vibrant city or a small city that sleeps after 2 am? Do you enjoy the high pressure, or would you like to take a snow day in the mountains?

Old 04-09-2013, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
What are your goals? Do you like fast paced or medium? Do you like mountains or Ocean? Do you like a large vibrant city or a small city that sleeps after 2 am? Do you enjoy the high pressure, or would you like to take a snow day in the mountains?
-I've lived 'fast paced' my entire life. I could deal with medium for once. My HBP might thank me.
-I like to think I am an ocean person but I spend more time in the mountains (or what we call mountains on the east coast).
-This one is hard. I want to be at the top of the food chain which has always meant high pressure.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:43 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,060,172 times
DC has a lot more high income folks than does Denver, also higher prices, serious road gridlock.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver