U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 02:21 PM

557 posts, read 756,043 times

Advertisements

Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster. Been doing a decent amount of research, talking to folks, looking at various areas, etc. If you don't mind, I'd greatly appreciate you bearing with me, and providing any insight and answers you can.

My wife and I live near the Alabama coast (Mobile, AL), but are ready for a move. We frankly, just don't fit in down here anymore (I don't think we ever did really, but we've finally grown a pair and want to do something about it). We're tired of the area, tired of our jobs, tired of the mentality, and tired of annoying/disrespectful family near us. We both want to move to a larger metro environment, but not necessarily NYC big. We get that Denver is a "small big city," and we like that about it.

We've never been able to personally visit, but we've known several individuals who have visited, and have run into a person or two who have lived in the area, and all have had nothing but great things to say about it. We really like that crime is relatively low, the outdoor activities avaiable, the "small big city" vibe, our cost of living increase wouldn't be dramatic, and the availability of public transit. I remembering reading threads on here alluding to people's hopes and dreams getting too high only to move to Denver and maybe be somewhat disappointed. We are not disillusioned about what to expect, but rather, we just need and are ready for a change.

We are both early career professionals, myself in accounting and my wife in journalism (with a communications degree), having both graduated from college in the last 4 years. We got married and bought a house two years ago (because, after all, that's what you are supposed to do, right?). I have a federal government job, that frankly, I absolutely hate. Transfers are always possible, but you can wait 6-12 months for a response to an application, only to get one sole response simply stating that they made a selection. And my wife, while being employed in her field, is dramatically underpaid and feels that there would be plenty more opportunity in her field than what is present here.

So, we're thinking about making a big move. Given that we've only had our house for two years, it's impractical to sell right now, so we're thinking we'll get with a real estate company to handle the renting out of it. Not really worried about making money off it, just need to cover the mortgage, which I think we could be able to do as we do live in one of the better areas in the city, in a brand new house, in an area with good schools.

I've been applying for jobs for a while now, but of course, being so far away, not getting much response (frankly, none). There are plenty of jobs out there though that I qualify for that are near what I make now.

Would it just be ridiculously, stupid crazy to sell off our unnecessary items, furniture, etc., rent out our house, and move to Denver sight unseen without jobs lined up by the beginning of the year? We have some savings that we could use (maybe ~ $4,000), and have some room to take on some debt if need be. We'd be ok with eating ramen, and hotdogs, and mac and cheese for a few months if need be. We're thinking that we may also try to sell one of our cars seeing as how we'll actually have public transportation available. We're just ready. And, I'm afraid that if we wait much longer, we'll just continue to get more stuck, and find more excuses for why we can't do it, and wind up like the majority of the population here, and never leave the state.

Non-negotiable criteria for a move:
Safe area, first and foremost
Easy walking distance to public transit
High walk score, in general, would be great
Close (being relative) to the downtown area
We could make do in a small apt, but not really interested in roommates
Cheap(esque) rent - for example, a small, cheap apt here in a decent area would likely run around $500-600.

What say you, Denverites?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 02:35 PM

5,443 posts, read 6,211,566 times
I know this is a short quick answer, but I would try and have at least one of you have a job out here before you move.

I would hate to see you both quit and move out here and then not be able to find a job. Then you both will be royally stuck because you won't even have a job lined up back in Alabama.

Old 11-15-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
I know this is a short quick answer, but I would try and have at least one of you have a job out here before you move.

I would hate to see you both quit and move out here and then not be able to find a job. Then you both will be royally stuck because you won't even have a job lined up back in Alabama.

I've applied to at least 10 different positions that I am qualified for, and haven't gotten any response. It's going to be really hard to get someone to give me a chance 1,400 miles away I'm afraid.

It is definitely a big risk, but I'm fairly confident that I could at least get something lined up relatively quickly between accounting, payroll, hr, etc. I just don't know how to go about having something lined up ahead of time, from so far away.

Old 11-15-2012, 02:51 PM
hts

762 posts, read 2,022,913 times
One of you (you?) move out and find a job while she stays behind (gainfully employed) until you land something?

Old 11-15-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hts View Post
One of you (you?) move out and find a job while she stays behind (gainfully employed) until you land something?
Having our house kind of hurts that idea, and would seem to add onto our prospective costs. That is definitely an option though. Before any move, we would definitely have to get the house rented out as we simply can't afford to carry a mortgage and rent. Her mom does live about 45 minutes away, so there could be some kind of arrangement made I suppose. And I suppose we could try to sell the house, we just wouldn't make anything off of it.

As an fyi, we're only looking for a small 1bdr apt in Denver to start with, short term lease if possible. Saw something in another thread about 80220?

And also mentioned was "Aspen Arms in West Washington Park and Congress Park Terrace located in Congress Park." Thoughts on either location?

Old 11-15-2012, 03:02 PM

2,952 posts, read 4,460,599 times
It does sound like you need to move. But with your current plan you are teetering on the brink of disaster. What if you get in renters who don't pay and then you need to pay to evict them. Down goes your credit if you default on your home. Then how will you buy here later? Bad renters could pull you under without your having enough to cover the mortgage while you get them evicted.

I'd suggest you move out while your wife stays with the house. Rent a cheap room in someone else's home and apply like crazy for jobs. Hopefully you'll have something in 2 months. Have your wife put the house on the market and then move herself and you can both get an apartment.

Edit: Funny, I was typing my response when someone was suggesting the same thing.

Old 11-15-2012, 03:04 PM

352 posts, read 673,816 times
Your wife is gonna have a hard time finding a journalism job here. You, on the other hand, work for the federal government and can transfer.

So...put your house up for sale now, move into an apartment when it sells. Put in for a transfer to Denver and wait till that happens. Wifey in the meantime scours Denver from afar for a journalism job but isn't dependent on getting one the second you guys on impulse move out here. Hey, no solution is perfect.

Old 11-15-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
It does sound like you need to move. But with your current plan you are teetering on the brink of disaster. What if you get in renters who don't pay and then you need to pay to evict them. Down goes your credit if you default on your home. Then how will you buy here later? Bad renters could pull you under without your having enough to cover the mortgage while you get them evicted.

I'd suggest you move out while your wife stays with the house. Rent a cheap room in someone else's home and apply like crazy for jobs. Hopefully you'll have something in 2 months. Have your wife put the house on the market and then move herself and you can both get an apartment.

Edit: Funny, I was typing my response when someone was suggesting the same thing.
That is a good point, and it would be a big risk. I think you're right. Regardless of just being in the house for 2 years, we should lean towards trying to sell, and take a small hit if we have to.

Old 11-15-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushhournewb View Post
Your wife is gonna have a hard time finding a journalism job here. You, on the other hand, work for the federal government and can transfer.

So...put your house up for sale now, move into an apartment when it sells. Put in for a transfer to Denver and wait till that happens. Wifey in the meantime scours Denver from afar for a journalism job but isn't dependent on getting one the second you guys on impulse move out here. Hey, no solution is perfect.
I wish it were that easy to transfer. All too often they randomly pull announcements, don't reply after closings for 6 months only to tell you it's already been filled, etc. Frankly, it's not worth waiting anymore. I did apply for several accounting positions that just closed, but who knows when they'll get around to deciding anything on them. Or if they'll even fill them at all, especially with all of the looming budget issues.

Old 11-15-2012, 03:33 PM

16,977 posts, read 26,577,954 times
Default You need more money for rent

I think you need to up your rental budget.
Colorado apartment vacancies fall below 5% | Inside Real Estate News
"The metro Denver average rent, measured in a separate survey, was $986 during the third quarter."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver