Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2012, 04:18 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,761,517 times

Advertisements

The Austin Mueller development is very similar in many respects to Stapleton. It too is a former central airport (just 3 miles from downtown) that has been redeveloped on new urbanist principles. Like Stapleton it is designed to be walkable (eventually close to shops/restaurants/entertainment/parks, etc.) has narrow streets, small lots, sidewalks, garages in the back on alleys, is centrally located (supposedly on future light rail transit, but we'll see if that ever happens), has a variety of housing and prices for diversity of residents, has commercial development component, lots of greenspace/parks/pools and future school, etc. They even kept the old air traffic control tower, just like Stapleton. The price range of homes seems very very similar to Stapleton and even shares some of the same home builders (though the master developer and planner are different).

It also has a very suburban section with Home Depot and other big box stores, like Quebec Square, - so it's not purely new urbanist.

There are some differences - notably Mueller is much smaller than what Stapleton will eventually be developed to - less than 800 acres as opposed to more than 4000.

Mueller is about 6 years behind Stapleton in development and I have no doubt that it has taken many cues off of Stapleton. It got off the ground just as the financial collapse hit and a lot of the mixed use development is just happening now - a town center with shops/restaurants/entertainment, etc. appears to be just around the corner (development starting now). Mueller appears to be about 25-30% developed.

To those of you who have been at Stapleton for a while, what would you guess the next 5 years or so will be like for Mueller as the older parts of the neighborhood begins to mature while the newer sections get built out? Have you been happy with the progress so far at Stapleton? Has the neighborhood, or the older parts, begun to look more established (larger trees, more variety in look of houses, etc.) Any disappointments or things that you wished had happened differently?

Last edited by Komeht; 11-29-2012 at 05:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 07:21 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Default All developers are liers

I surfed to New homes in Austin, TX | Mueller Austin and my first conclusion was: all developers lie.
Some more than others and some less.

You have to nail their feet to the floor and make them deliver on their promises.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
I surfed to New homes in Austin, TX | Mueller Austin and my first conclusion was: all developers lie.

You have to nail their feet to the floor and make them deliver on their promises.
Seems to be true. There is a pretty active group and the neighborhood is closely watched by a ton of stakeholders including the neighborhood association, surrounding neighborhoods, not to mention the City of Austin. I think there's been some angst over delays due to the financial downturn in getting the town center built.

Have there been particular problems with the Stapleton developer not delivering as promised? I take it just from a few google searches there has been some concern over development North of I70 before the sections South of I70 have been complete. How have those issues been resolved (or have they)?

Old 11-30-2012, 08:46 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Default Town Center

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
some angst over delays due to the financial downturn in getting the town center built. Have there been particular problems with the Stapleton developer not delivering as promised?
Big empty hole where the master plans showed a grocery store, etc was supposed to be.

This should be helpful The Stapletonion: Think Globally, Laugh Locally

Old 12-04-2012, 10:48 AM
WiW

167 posts, read 577,835 times
We are new to Stapleton, and while researching it, the biggest disappointment we found was the one Dave Barnes speaks about above. Forest City's failure to attract businesses to the East side.

The older parts of Stapleton are 10 years old now and look very nice. The trees have grown, the homes are well maintained, the sidewalks are in good shape and the town center is flourishing.

Stapleton is on the same street grid as the rest of Denver and the streets are about the same size.

The big draw for us, besides the energy efficient new homes with small yards, was the sense of community that Stapleton has. Neighbors seem to be interested in knowing each other and we have found that to be true on our street. There are a lot of planned activities that draw the community together. I think once a community gets that reputation, other like minded people move there and perpetuate it. Will the Austin community have that? I don't know how you predict that in advance.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:44 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times
Quote:

All new development (across the line) today is designed for one purpose and one purpose only. To maximize the developers profits, and give the buyer as much "perceived" value as possible. Which means biggest, cheapest houses possible on the smallest lots possible. Anything to the contrary, is a lie, plain and simple.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:31 AM

977 posts, read 1,328,401 times
Quote:
Big empty hole where the master plans showed a grocery store, etc was supposed to be.

This should be helpful The Stapletonion: Think Globally, Laugh Locally
One of the rumors is that King Soopers nailed Forest City into a contract whereby they could be the only grocery store in Stapleton for x number of years, I think it may have been 10. It is a plausible explanation for the lack of a grocery store centered retail development on the east side.

I'd think that Whole Foods would be chomping at the bit to get in this sub-market and that there has to be another factor as to why they haven't yet brought their overpriced goods to this enclave of yuppies.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiW View Post
We are new to Stapleton, and while researching it, the biggest disappointment we found was the one Dave Barnes speaks about above. Forest City's failure to attract businesses to the East side.

The older parts of Stapleton are 10 years old now and look very nice. The trees have grown, the homes are well maintained, the sidewalks are in good shape and the town center is flourishing.

Stapleton is on the same street grid as the rest of Denver and the streets are about the same size.

The big draw for us, besides the energy efficient new homes with small yards, was the sense of community that Stapleton has. Neighbors seem to be interested in knowing each other and we have found that to be true on our street. There are a lot of planned activities that draw the community together. I think once a community gets that reputation, other like minded people move there and perpetuate it. Will the Austin community have that? I don't know how you predict that in advance.
The Community seems to have attracted a lot of like minded individuals (still of diverse background) who share common interests in living centrally, in a connected environment that is part of the city, not a walled off enclave. There appears to be sufficient disagreement to keep things interesting. People who moved here also prefer the idea of smaller more efficient homes, less yard space to maintain but more shared green space nearby to be enjoyed publicly. The Mullerites are anxiously awaiting the see of the town center can get off the ground and flourish - that and an addition of a school seem to be the biggest wants not yet fulfilled (grocery store to open in summer)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver