Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 09:08 AM

17,708 posts, read 29,804,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettE View Post
...Denve...newer suburbs looks like they were desolate wastelands where someone decided to build some houses close together. I live in southwest Ohio right now, and everything here is lush and green. I live on a .25 acre lot, but I have so many trees that I can barely see my neighbors houses.
Annual precipitation
Denver 15.81 inches (What is the average annual rainfall in Denver, Colorado?)
Cincinnatti 42.6 inches
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 09:06 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,776,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettE View Post
I'm thinking about taking a job in Denver, but looking at houses on realtor.com makes me hesitant. All of newer suburbs looks like they were desolate wastelands where someone decided to build some houses close together.
welcome to the southwest.

Quote:
I live in southwest Ohio right now, and everything here is lush and green. I live on a .25 acre lot, but I have so many trees that I can barely see my neighbors houses.

Is there anywhere within a reasonable distance (30 minutes would be great) from Buckley AFB where I might be able to find something more than .25 acres and maybe some trees? I can spend up to about $500k.
The older neighborhoods in denver are the ones with the trees. you'll have look not in the suburbs but in the central parts of the city

Old 12-16-2012, 09:35 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post

The older neighborhoods in denver are the ones with the trees. you'll have look not in the suburbs but in the central parts of the city
Disagree with the above a bit. It's true the older neighborhoods have the trees, but those 'hoods are not just in Denver. Many suburbs have older areas with trees. Anything more than about 20 years old will have mature trees. Lots are small out here, for the most part. .25 acre is a pretty big lot in most of the suburbs.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:12 AM

230 posts, read 408,822 times
so I have two questions...

does everyone plant lawns in the suburbs just to water them? Are there alternatives?

Which ARE the neighborhoods with the best views of the front range - NW of denver, within a reasonable distance from Boulder?

Old 12-17-2012, 10:14 AM

8 posts, read 12,687 times
BrettE, I went to college in Ohio and then moved back out west afterwards. Unfortunately there is nothing out here that will match the lush green neighborhoods that you are used to living in. You may want to consider living in one of the older parts of town if you want street that are more heavily treed. Possibly the Gov Park, Cherry Creek area, ect but living costs will be higher.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:23 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,220,012 times
Denver is not a wet, humid area, so "forest" doesn't just sprout up if you leave a plot of land alone like it will in Ohio (or pretty much anywhere east of here). And if you have a large lot, it's going to cost you a lot to water it all summer. It doesn't usually rain enough here to keep a lawn green and everything is irrigated by underground sprinkler systems.

I've lived in Denver and L.A. for the past 20 years of my life so when I go back East, the trees seem odd, if not annoying. It feels almost claustrophobic because you can't see very far.

But rather than looking for the exact same thing you have in Ohio, why not embrace Colorado for its own unique qualities?

Old 12-17-2012, 10:32 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,382,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody74 View Post
BrettE, I went to college in Ohio and then moved back out west afterwards. Unfortunately there is nothing out here that will match the lush green neighborhoods that you are used to living in. You may want to consider living in one of the older parts of town if you want street that are more heavily treed. Possibly the Gov Park, Cherry Creek area, ect but living costs will be higher.

I fully agree that nothing will match the lush green of the midwest and east.
Denver is desolate looking for a reason, it's built on a treeless desert.

Finally after twenty plus years of brown, treeless landscapes I moved back east where once again I'm surrounded by the lush green I so desperately missed.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:57 AM

26,210 posts, read 49,022,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmiller91 View Post
... does everyone plant lawns in the suburbs just to water them? Are there alternatives? ....
Short version: HOAs typically have specified at least ~50% grass and the rest xeriscape (rocks, native grasses, etc) but COLO state law has changed and people now may plant zero grass if they choose. The grass does require watering and is a growing expense as water rates rise.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:29 AM

230 posts, read 408,822 times
I just think growing grass in a low water area seems lame. I personally wouldn't want to use my water that way. Here they regulate you and make you plant grass in certain subdivisions. It's nice to have the option to have a native yard = brown

Old 12-18-2012, 06:32 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,928,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmiller91 View Post
Which ARE the neighborhoods with the best views of the front range - NW of denver, within a reasonable distance from Boulder?
It depends, do you want a close-up, or a panorama?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver