Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 11:55 AM

33 posts, read 91,065 times

Advertisements

I know this is kind of a broad question (as well as a broad area!). We are looking to relocate to Colorado (from reading here - who isn't!?!) Anyway, looking near Denver but not in Denver. Suburbs of Denver might be OK, but think we would prefer to be a little farther out. We're looking from Castle Rock up to Fort Collins and over to Boulder (don't want to go east of Denver). My husband works in the medical field so we have options as far as where (don't just have to be in Denver).

One of our main reasons in moving from where we are now is schools for our children. So, my question is what school districts should we avoid. Thought this might help us narrow down our search since this is a top priority for us.

Thanks for your thoughts. (Also, should I also post this in the Denver section?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 12:12 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,055,772 times
There are great schools all over the Denver metro area. I know you said your spouse has many employment options, but it might be easier to start with finding a job/establishing a practice, and then narrow down your search from there.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:20 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Just what is it that you want to avoid? I'm not being snarky, just curious.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:47 PM

In most places there are schools that just aren't as good as other schools - whether it be the teachers, adminstrators, the quality of teaching lots of behavior issues at the school which intereferes with learning, etc. I'm looking for a school to challenge my son (looking for a good gifted program) and daughter and is an enjoyable place to attend. As a former teacher and administrator I know that there are schools that "people" would not want to send their kids to if possible. I'm also wanting to be welcomed as a volunteer at the school as well.

I know I could have worded this as what are the best schools but I've read a couple of threads about that and hadn't really seen a lot about districts I would want to avoid so I thought I'd ask.

So maybe I should ask what are the better districts in the area (from Castle Rock up to Fort Collins and over to Boulder - really looking to be a littler farther out of Denver).

Thanks for your responses.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:55 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Look'inCO View Post
In most places there are schools that just aren't as good as other schools - whether it be the teachers, adminstrators, the quality of teaching lots of behavior issues at the school which intereferes with learning, etc. I'm looking for a school to challenge my son (looking for a good gifted program) and daughter and is an enjoyable place to attend. As a former teacher and administrator I know that there are schools that "people" would not want to send their kids to if possible. I'm also wanting to be welcomed as a volunteer at the school as well.

I know I could have worded this as what are the best schools but I've read a couple of threads about that and hadn't really seen a lot about districts I would want to avoid so I thought I'd ask.

So maybe I should ask what are the better districts in the area (from Castle Rock up to Fort Collins and over to Boulder - really looking to be a littler farther out of Denver).

Thanks for your responses.
I think most schools would welcome you with open arms as a volunteer. The reason you don't hear about "bad" districts here is b/c there aren't many.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:55 PM

One thing to consider is that Colorado allows open enrollment. I live in a neighborhood that has an extremely well-regarded elementary school, and nearly a third of our students come from outside the district. You are not limited to your local school. As long as there's space for your children, they can attend anywhere.

Rather than looking for schools to avoid, it might be best to describe what you want, and then look for options. But, no matter what, you'll want to personally visit any schools that interest you, because test scores can be deceiving.

Also, unless you have unlimited money, some districts may be within reach, while others are not. It's worth considering your housing costs before you get your heart set on any particular school, even with the open enrollment option.

Other than a challenging environment, what else is important? Do you want a large or small school environment? How do you feel about charter schools? Are sports, music, or other extra-curricular activities important? Which ones? Would you like a particular focus, like science, math, arts, or technology?

Last edited by formercalifornian; 06-30-2010 at 10:17 PM..

Old 07-03-2010, 05:33 AM

Thanks formercalifornian for the input. As far as the school, I would think smaller (but not necessarily - currently my son attends a small private school but a larger school might be fine if it is a good fit). Mixed feelings on charter schools - think it just depends on the school. As for sports, music and extra-curricular my son is 7 so so far we haven't gotten into those areas alot yet - right now he just has choir at his school and we play sports such as soccer and basketball through the community programs and take piano lessons (although I do know that larger districts tend to offer these things sooner rather than later so I'm excited at that possibility). As for a particular focus - for my son it is definitely math and science and technology would be wonderful as well.

I read on another post where somewhere was talking about magnet schools (don't remember which district) and read something about a magnet school for math and science. Does anyone know anything about a school such as this?

Thank you!

Old 07-03-2010, 10:06 AM

That's good information, so now I think your next step is to focus on where in the range of possibilities you've mentioned you think you want to live. I'm familiar with the southern suburbs, more or less, but I have no idea what's available north of Denver. Can you narrow things down for us just a bit?

Will your spouse be establishing a practice? Or does he have a position lined up? Do you have a housing budget in mind? That information will help us make better suggestions that will keep your commute times reasonable.

Regarding extracurricular activities, I'd like to note that Colorado currently ranks near the bottom of the list when it comes to per student spending, and recent state budget cuts have put the kibbosh on many activities. Even some large affluent districts, like Douglas County, have slashed their budgets. That doesn't mean that Colorado has poor schools, not by any stretch of the imagination, but we're having budgetary issues just like everybody else.

What I can tell you is that of the southern public districts CCSD (Cherry Creek) seems to be in a slightly better position than others: their deficit is only $17 million.

Some of my friends in CCSD have sent their kids to Challenge School. I do not have any personal experience with the school; however, so I can only relay that they seem satisfied there. Last year I heard some noise about a science and technology school starting up somewhere in the area, but low enrollment has apparently delayed the opening.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 07-03-2010 at 10:30 AM..

Old 07-05-2010, 09:03 PM

36 posts, read 122,987 times
Greeley-Evans Weld 6, is hurting bad, and ranked low. (My son liked kindergarten in it, though.) I doubt you're looking all the way up here--but, um, if you are, think twice.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:56 PM

389 posts, read 777,218 times
I don't know much about the medical thing around Colorado despite the fact that my mother worked as a respiratory therapist @ National Juish hospital. I never really paid close attention to that field though.

But I know a lot more about the schools & the districts to avoid. For example, I went to 2 elementary schools as a child: Skyline Vista & Fairview. Both of those schools were in District 50, & I'd avoid that area. It's around Westminster CO, which is near Denver.

The 2 middle schools I went to are Pecos (which is now Niver Creek) & Rocky Top. Those schools are in District 12, in Thornton & Denver, & I'd say that district in general is your best bet in the Denver/Thornton CO area. Niver Creek is a horrible school, & I went there for 6th & 7th grade before my mother demanded I transfer to Rocky Top. Rocky Top is the best school in District 12, but you couldn't go wrong with Century Middle School either.

My high school was Horizon High in District 12, which is a pretty good school. It may have a little bit of a bad reputation, but it's not all that bad. It might've gotten worce since I've been there, though, so you'd need to look into it (same with the other schools.)

I hope that helped you. It hasn't been terribly long since I've gone to these schools because I've been in school through the 90s & I gratuated in 2003.

Let me know if you have any more questions about the schools or districts around the Denver area including: Thornton, Northglen, Westminster, & other places around there. Tell me if this was no help @ all too. haha

Jessie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver