Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 01:37 AM

163 posts, read 774,280 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, made the drive out to Denver on Thursday and so yesterday and today (Sat) were my first two days in town! I'm currently staying at a cheap motel until I find a place.

I've grown up and lived my life so far in Northern California and was just living in Sacramento for the past 4 years.

So how is Denver so far....? Freakin' awesome! Love it! The only real downside is it is completely out of my comfort zone (Nor Cal) and away from everyone and everything I know, aside from that I think I'm gonna really like it here. So for anyone else considering the move, here it is from my point of view...

The City - Beautiful! Denver is 10 times the city Sacramento is. I can really say that all my expectations have been blown away (based on seeing hundreds of pictures and reading everything I could on Denver before coming out) so far. The pictures are great, but when you're actually here on the ground and driving around, everything is much, much bigger. I don't know what people are talking about or what they're comparing it to when they say Denver doesn't feel like a big city or that it isn't urban? Downtown is great! Very lively and urban. In California the only thing to really compare is S.F. and maybe San Diego. I love how there are so many downtown neighborhoods and then many more surrounding downtown. There is construction everywhere, so obviously there will be many more people living in the central city. LoDo is cool (only walked it a little and drove around), 16th St. Mall is real cool (reminds me very much of a mini Market St. in S.F.), then there is the river park, stadiums, Six Flags, etc.etc. that I haven't even been able to experience yet. Freeways are awesome and well laid out. Makes getting around easy enough. Say what you want about driving and freeways and too many cars, but some cities could really use a better freeway system or add more to make getting around easier and make more sense.

The mountain views are excellent! We had the Sierra Nevada right there in Sacramento too but they weren't quite as close and didn't really matter because you cannot see that far most of the time because of the smog

Love how the terrain has some rolling hills through out the town to make it interesting. Sacramento is flat as a board.

Love all the old buildings and architecture! Sac has afew neat old neighborhoods and an area of victorians, it seems Denver has a good many times that of Sacramento. Endless blocks and blocks and blocks of cool old neighborhoods. It just gives the city more character.

Love how so much effort has gone into making the city and downtown nice and clean. Little things like attractive street lamps all over downtown and public art all over the place, all the parks, the river front park area, etc. etc. Don't see much city pride or beautification in Sacramento or many other places.

The Weather - So far it's been great. Sunny and warm! A little snow on the ground when I got here but no big deal. Love the blue sky too!

I'm also really looking forward to getting out and hitting them slopes! Can't wait to hike, camp, bike as well when spring comes round!

Anyway, it is late and just wanted to give a first impression of Denver for everyone else out there thinking about moving. If ya got any questions just ask...

Tim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 01:55 AM

1,048 posts, read 4,346,709 times
Hi Tim,

Thanks for posting. I am glad to hear that you are having a good time and like our city. Keep us posted on how things will go. For how long will you be here? What do you plan to see/visit?

Old 01-06-2008, 02:06 AM

I'm here for good! I moved in (well....into the motel 'till I find a more permanent place).

I plan on staying as long as it all works out. So far I like it a lot, only thing I am missing is a good group of friends, so I gotta get to work on that.

Oh yeah, see and visit? I don't know yet. But that's one more thing I like is that there is so much more to do and see than back home. From the museums, to the local sports to attend, to the parks, to the mountains, etc. etc.

Would like to see a show at Red Rocks (walked around there yesterday...amazing!), would like to see some Rockies, Nuggets, and Broncos games. Elitch Gardens, check out the local ski resorts, etc. etc.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 01-06-2008 at 08:24 AM..

Old 01-06-2008, 02:28 AM

1,048 posts, read 4,346,709 times
Then Welcome Aboard! I thought you were just visiting us, sorry!

Then you have plenty of time to see all of this. Wait till spring time and Summer, I think you will love it even more (and hate it because of the heat :P ).

As for the mountains, once RMNP (Rocky Mountain National Park) is open it is must see place. I visit it every year and love to to take photos, hike, meet people. It is really fun! Also, Mount Evans is a must see as well - 14,258 feet. I posted photos of Mount Evans few weeks ago here. Both of these are mostly closed for the "best places" (due to snow). RMNP has only the lower parts opened.

Oh and as for Friends, it takes time. You just moved in 2 days ago. Do you know anyone here?

You are welcome to contact me if I can be of any help (e-mail or direct message).

Last edited by Mike from back east; 01-06-2008 at 08:23 AM..

Old 01-06-2008, 10:31 AM

5 posts, read 17,899 times
hey tim im seriously considering the move from crappy new jersey. yo denver.... i was there 4 years ago interviewing and house lookin.... man i loved it then,, just timing not right for me and family,,, but they may be changing... im so jealous.. man your lucky... congrats

Old 01-06-2008, 10:57 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,420,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Currie View Post
......Love all the old buildings and architecture! Sac has afew neat old neighborhoods and an area of victorians, it seems Denver has a good many times that of Sacramento. Endless blocks and blocks and blocks of cool old neighborhoods. It just gives the city more character.....Tim
it is said that Denver has the greatest collection of Victorian homes between San Fransisco and new York.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 01-07-2008 at 08:34 AM..

Old 01-07-2008, 11:08 AM

102 posts, read 120,017 times
tim,

go to any sports stadium, you will see the fun crowd there. it is indeed a great city. it may snow, but snow wont last too long. sun is always bright and shinning.

have a good time

Old 01-07-2008, 11:38 AM

10 posts, read 24,103 times
Thank you for your post Tim!

I currently live in SLC which is a nice place but I am ready to move and Denver is the place I've decided on . Hearing your input really helped.

Finding living arrangements for a bit is what was holding me back but I could always do what your doing and stay in a motel!

Any input you have would be great!

Thanks

Old 01-07-2008, 11:48 AM

jena,

Yeah I figured it would be a lot easier to find a permanent place once I was already here. I've been looking at craigslist and of course there is a ton of stuff there whether you want a roomate or just need your own rental.

I went with Best Inn Denver because they had the cheapest rates for long term and have a kitchenette in the room. The motel is pretty crappy though and in a industrial/truckstop part of town, so I don't want to stay here for long. But it's fine to sleep in while you're out in about looking for a place and meeting people.

Also, when you're actually here it is much easier to just get out and drive/walk through the areas you're interested in living. And so you get a much better feel for the different neighborhoods then you would just using the internet or this website for instance.

If you have any questions or want someone to show you around once you're here just let me know!

Tim

Old 01-07-2008, 12:05 PM

676 posts, read 2,797,921 times
Its nice to hear from someone new about a positive experience. It gives those of us who've been here a while a refresher about why we live in an awsome place like this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver