Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2012, 10:46 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,346,400 times

Advertisements

Hiya All...

The SO has to work New Year's Eve, but will be off on New Year's Day. We're hoping to go out all day throughout Denver... breakfast, lunch/brunch, dinner, movie/theatre/museum. The problem is the 4 restaurants we've called for reservations are closed NYD.

I can continue to contact restaurants... we were looking at upscale places like Venice in LoDo & Briarwood in Golden... I think he said the latter is open for brunch, but we were hoping to do upscale for dinner. He also called a Chinese restaurant he likes & said they were closed. Since I'm new to town, I don't know where to begin. Is there a commonly known restaurant/s which would be open NY Day?

Also, I can call museums, etc. for times, but are there any special or commonly known places we can go on NY Day? If not, no worries... I'll make a nice lunch at home & then we can go for a long walk in a Denver park, 16th St. Mall, etc. It would just be nice to go from Wash/City Pk to a nearby place for coffee/dinner. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you & Happy New Year!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 03:08 PM

Just bumping once for possible ideas... no one has any suggestions for NYDay? We can't be the only couple not going out for NYEve & wanting to celebrate NYD instead... just wondering.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:39 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
The local papers will tell you what is NOT open. I heard on NPR this afternoon that the Boulder outdoor ice rink is open NYD. In general, a lot of entertainment/recreational stuff is open. Some restaurants will be closed, the city rec centers are usually closed, etc.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:11 PM

8 posts, read 13,955 times
I would like to inform you that in case of restaurants, book your table by today, otherwise you can not get any place during the new year night

Old 12-31-2012, 03:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,895 times
Just a couple ideas, but i'm not sure if tables are available or reservations.
Briarwood is only doing dinner this year, 4:30, $45-$65 per person.
Panzano brunch, 9-2, $33 per
Linger brunch, 10-3, $32 per
Sushi Uokura dinner sushi buffet (its really good, I swear), 5-8:30, $27.95 per
All the light stuff is open if you didn't get a chance, zoo lights, botanical. and that's all i have
Good luck

Old 12-31-2012, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The local papers will tell you what is NOT open. I heard on NPR this afternoon that the Boulder outdoor ice rink is open NYD. In general, a lot of entertainment/recreational stuff is open. Some restaurants will be closed, the city rec centers are usually closed, etc.
Sorry for the delay in replying, Kat... was having trouble posting.

Yes, we found it strange that some restaurants are closed & others opened. Most of the info we found was on NYEve rather than Day... seems it's assumed the partiers will be having quiet NYDay's and/or watching football games.

Happy New Year!

Old 12-31-2012, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baloop View Post
Just a couple ideas, but i'm not sure if tables are available or reservations.
Briarwood is only doing dinner this year, 4:30, $45-$65 per person.
Panzano brunch, 9-2, $33 per
Linger brunch, 10-3, $32 per
Sushi Uokura dinner sushi buffet (its really good, I swear), 5-8:30, $27.95 per
All the light stuff is open if you didn't get a chance, zoo lights, botanical. and that's all i have
Good luck
Great info BLoop, thank you very much. I'm going to research the places you've listed beyond NYE, as I'm not familiar with them & we really would enjoy a few upscale restaurants to visit at least every 2-3 wks.

Oh, I believe you about the sushi... the both of us adore it.

Goodness, we just didn't have time to check beyond what we've already done, but no problem as I can call before we visit anyplace tomorrow. We were just caught off-guard when trying to make reservations & found all places we called were closed. I'm used to living in larger cities, where so much is open (basically banks & gov't bldgs are closed on holidays)... never a problem to find more than a host of options on NYD & one is normally wandering around the streets with a large, but comfortable # of people. It's rather nice to be in the downtown area sans the usual bustle of weekday working hours. And, not all of us get bleary eyed on holidays... for goodness' sake, both of us together can't drink a full glass of champagne... haha

Happy New Year! I'll let you know how we enjoyed several of the restaurants you've suggested, as time goes by.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myselfrickey View Post
I would like to inform you that in case of restaurants, book your table by today, otherwise you can not get any place during the new year night
Wise advice Myself... we decided to have dinner at home (Cornish hens, a dozen veggies (to keep it simple) & champagne)... then, we'll figure out where to go. Seems so much is closed... I've gotten tired of calling around... every idea has been nixed so far with a 'Closed' sign. We decided that if worse comes to worse, we'll enjoy the day off just walking... perhaps drive to a nice park or someplace he mentioned, which has buffalo (forget the name of the town, but I believe it's 30-45min from Denver), bring a bit of food & hey, good time to use our Christmas gift, which was a flask... of course, one of us will be a designated driver.

Happy New Year!

Old 01-02-2013, 12:30 AM

Just found this Denver Eater site whilst searching & thought perhaps others might be interested:

Eater Denver : The Denver Restaurant, Bar, and Nightlife Blog

Thanks again to all for your suggestions & hope you all had a great New Year's Eve/Day.

Since the SO had to unexpectedly work until 4am, then return on NYD from 8am-noon he was quite tired & I'm glad we didn't have reservations & I had Cornish hens... but, no fear for those who posted... we will be visiting several places in the near future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver