Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 07:26 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,680,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
Another cool thing about the west line is the bike path which will run from denver to golden- Bicycle/Pedestrian Path

If you are physically able, why pay $4.50 for a train ride when you can hop on your bike?

So I checked out the West Rail Bike Path this weekend and here are my thoughts.
First, 10 degrees is too damn cold for a bike ride, wait until spring (going to be 50 this week).
The first two miles from the Platte River to Sheridan are a nice, new bike path that winds along Lakewood Gulch thru Rude Park, Sanchez Park and Lakewood Gulch Park. The best part of the trail.
From Sheridan to just West of Kipling it is a straight shot with a mix of new path and on street (13th). Follows the Light Rail in a quiet residential neighborhood.
At Simms St. the bike route (not trail) leaves the light rail where the train heads south to the Federal Center. The unmarked bike route follows 8th, 7th, Moss and 10th thru the ironically named "Pleasant View" area to Golden, where the West Rail ends. Although this section is on low traffic roads, there are portions that are two lane with no shoulder and other parts with a bike lane. Did discover a nice park on this section, Welchester Tree Park on 8th.
I will probably ride the Lakewood Gulch section as a side trip on my Platte River rides. For Golden to Denver, I prefer the Clear Creek trail to Crown Hill to Sloan Lake to the Platte. More scenic and less long straight shots on streets. YMMV!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 08:17 PM

556 posts, read 1,200,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
I will probably ride the Lakewood Gulch section as a side trip on my Platte River rides. For Golden to Denver, I prefer the Clear Creek trail to Crown Hill to Sloan Lake to the Platte. More scenic and less long straight shots on streets. YMMV!
Thanks for the scouting report. I haven't ridden west of the perry station but hopefully they will fill in some of the gaps.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:36 AM

2,491 posts, read 2,680,059 times
West Rail Line opens this Friday (4/26).
It is free on Friday & Saturday with some events at various rail stops.
Wish it came all the way to Golden!

Old 04-23-2013, 05:52 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,702,783 times
Quote:
Wow, this came up faster that I though it would! I saw some elevated tracks going towards the airport a few weeks ago. Glad to see the light rail is moving along.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:03 AM

1,627 posts, read 4,218,209 times
Quote:
Gonna be there for sure. The line goes nowhere near me, but homes and jobs change, and it's exciting to have a whole new set of options in the Denver area.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:19 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,702,783 times
The new line opens today!

Old 04-26-2013, 09:30 AM

22,333 posts, read 29,427,518 times
Lol I've never been on a light rail so I think Sunday the Bf and I are going to hop on it and head into Denver from Lakewood. Just doing some exploring. Wonder if we should buy passes??

Old 04-26-2013, 09:46 AM

48 posts, read 101,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Lol I've never been on a light rail so I think Sunday the Bf and I are going to hop on it and head into Denver from Lakewood. Just doing some exploring. Wonder if we should buy passes??

W Line is free today(Firday the 26th), and the entire RTD Light Rail system is free on Saturday. Enjoy the ride.

RTD passes are very good deal if you can get them thru work or school, if your employeer offers or you are a student of course.

Old 04-27-2013, 03:21 PM

22,333 posts, read 29,427,518 times
Can anyone tell me if this goes anywhere near Cherry Creek Mall? Thanks

Old 04-27-2013, 04:06 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,123,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Can anyone tell me if this goes anywhere near Cherry Creek Mall? Thanks
Not even close.

The train goes downtown like all the rest. Cherry Creek Mall is 2.5 miles from the nearest light rail station (Alameda Station), which is served by the Southwest and Southeast lines, not the West Line.

Last edited by davidv; 04-27-2013 at 05:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver