Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 03:54 PM

13 posts, read 15,887 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, I’m a new transplant from Houston to Denver with my company. I’m single girl, in my mid thirty. My work will be in downtown near world trade center. I’ve been living in Houston for 13 years, and don’t have driving experience in the snow. I’m also very bad at parallel parking. I’d prefer to find a decent apartment in Denver downtown to help solve the potential issue I might encounter with.

I’m complete new to Denver, and I really appreciate you help and advice which areas I should check out or void around downtown.

I did some apartment research on line, and had few in mind:
- 1220 Marion apartments seems offering an urban living vibe and very economic, but parking and wandering homeless beneath the window is a con. (saw from the rent review). Do any of you have some idea about that neighborhood?
- What about seasons of cheery creek?
- Anyone familiar with Uptown Square

I’d try to void rent those apartment complex have many early 20 some who smokes and parties a ton in the hall.

My budget is $1500 for studio or one bedroom, and prefer covered parking. Safety, lots to do in the areas and good mingle vibe for 30+singles are the plus. Any suggestions are welcome! Thanks!

Last edited by Mike from back east; 01-03-2013 at 04:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 04:50 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,404,810 times
The best apartment that you picked is the Season of Cherry Creek which is in a upscale neighborhood. You will find many amenities of restaurants, shops, Cherry Creek Mall and places to mingle all within walking distance. In addition, you can easily get to Downtown Denver with multiple buses, Route 1 and 3, and a quick express bus (3L) on 1st. Avenue that will take you to Civic Station in 10 minutes, so you will never have to drive or think about parking.

Public transit is something you should really consider as Downtown Denver is easily accessible by many buses and trains from locations all over the metro area. Many Downtown workers take public transit. So, there is no necessity to live downtown. Also, Downtown is connected with a free shuttle on the 16th Street Mall which goes to the bus stations (Civic and Market) with multiple stops and crosses the rail lines. In bad weather, public transit is even more popular. So, investigate our excellent public transit and make choices with that option in mind RTD

All the other apartments you have mentioned have grittier areas nearby and would not suggest them, especially the Marion. It appears from your choices that you have some desire to live in a urban environment and understand that culture. You can even choose to live farther out and near one of the rail station and get a quick trip downtown. There are also multiple express buses with fast trips downtown from many areas.

Livecontent

Old 01-03-2013, 05:21 PM

Livecontent,

Thanks a bunch! I think Marion is much like the Montrose/Richmond areas in Houston. The potential issue I have is like your said there might be little sketchy at night. A cool hippy place is fun to hang out during the day or night with friends, but not quite desirable to live at night afterwards.

I will be traveling a lot for this new job. Safety, comfortable and nice are important to me. I'm glad I was confirmed by you with my #1 choice with Cherry Creek is probably the most suitable for my situation. It's still quite urban, downtown life style right?

Oh, do I need to change a different car for Denver? I'm driving 2008 Bimmer 5 series with run flat tires. I believe it's rear drive. Will it be okay drive to the ski places once a while? My assignment with this job might last 2, most 3 years, means I won't be staying in Denver for good, unless I choose to by the end of the term. Is it worth to change a car?

Thanks!
Mayo

Last edited by mayo2510; 01-03-2013 at 05:37 PM..

Old 01-03-2013, 05:43 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,404,810 times
The Cherry Creek neighborhood of Denver is very upscale urban and dense. You will find it very suitable. It is close to Downtown and you will find great amenities of people and places nearby. If you can afford to live in that Apartment and that area-then you are fortunate.

You can drive to the ski places with that car. However, with a rear wheel drive car in winter driving, you best buy snow tires. Actually you are required to have snow or all season tires or chains for mountain driving in the winter :
Colorado State Patrol - Frequently Asked Questions

Or you can rent a more appropriate car for your trips.

Livecontent

Old 01-03-2013, 09:25 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Use padmapper.com to find rentals in specific neighborhoods.

Beware that many listings on craigslist are scams, so read and heed the warnings that craigslist posts.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:44 PM

Wardendresden,

Thank you. I understand.

I am not here to pick the argument, just a humble foreigner asking for some advise and help.

I hope Denver turns out to be a great city to live as what I expected.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:46 PM

Mike,

I appreciate your post! I will have an realtor show me around next week.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:56 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,689,514 times
The only one I'm personally familiar with is Uptown Square. I looked there, and pretty much ran out the door after the tour. The buildings we looked at smelled so severely of marijuana that I knew there was no way in heck I wanted to live there. I'd agree that the Cherry Creek option is best. I also probably wouldn't want to drive the rear wheel drive BMW.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiken View Post
The only one I'm personally familiar with is Uptown Square. I looked there, and pretty much ran out the door after the tour. The buildings we looked at smelled so severely of marijuana that I knew there was no way in heck I wanted to live there. I'd agree that the Cherry Creek option is best. I also probably wouldn't want to drive the rear wheel drive BMW.
Billiken,

Thanks! I read the reviews for Uptown Square as well. The concerns are the same. The major complaining is regarding to marijuana smoking in the hall way and parking situation. I'm leaning towards Cherry Creek. I also like to check out 1600 GLENARM PLACE, but it seems out of my pricing range. Maybe I should find a roommate.

Is there any other places similar like Cherry Creek nearby?

Thank you.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:33 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
Rear wheel drive isn't always the best for snow, but if you put snow tires on, you should be fine. Front wheel drive is better for snow and seems to be almost standard these days for cars. You don't need an SUV to live in Denver, which is what many "outsiders" seem to think. I drive a FWD Prius with traction control and it's great for driving in the snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver