Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 07:55 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
I even walked home once, as I live only 6 miles from Union Station
Six (6) miles!
That is like -- halfway across the USA.
Well, some people would think so.

6 miles of walking = 600 kcal
numerous food stops = 3000 kcal
Seems right to me.

There is a reason that many of us LOVE your missives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 04:50 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,107,581 times
I lived in Thornton around 136th when I moved here and drove downtown to work everyday. It sucked. It took me at least 45 minutes at best and over an hour at worst. I still would rather drive than take the bus. I liked having my car so I could leave if I needed to, run errands on the way home, and whatnot...now I live downtown and walk to work.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:11 PM

1,260 posts, read 2,044,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I lived in Thornton around 136th when I moved here and drove downtown to work everyday. It sucked. It took me at least 45 minutes at best and over an hour at worst. I still would rather drive than take the bus. I liked having my car so I could leave if I needed to, run errands on the way home, and whatnot...now I live downtown and walk to work.
To each their own, of course, but I absolutely detest driving downtown on a weekday morning. Bus is lovely, and I actually feel like I have more freedom (to read, to sleep, to stare out the window) than those poor drivers stuck going 25 miles/hour, while I zoom by in the HOV lane.
The bus that goes from Wagon Rd PnR is 120X (to Market st. Station) or 122X to Civic Center. I live in Boulder, so not usually taking that bus, but once I needed to go to Loveland after work, and leaving my car somewhere near I-25 seemed like a good idea. The ride from Wagon rd to Broadway took 25 minutes, as per RTD schedule. I'm actually somewhat envious to those who can ride 120X/122X - they have buses with 5-7 minutes intervals! Enough to not worry about the schedule at all. The only downside - they are peak-hour only buses, but if you have a regular work schedule that shouldn't be a problem.

Sorry, I normally don't promote something that people state they don't like (public transit in this case), but this was just classic from the standpoint of car vs bus argument, after you mentioned 45 min - 1 hour commute.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:58 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,107,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioToCO View Post
To each their own, of course, but I absolutely detest driving downtown on a weekday morning. Bus is lovely, and I actually feel like I have more freedom (to read, to sleep, to stare out the window) than those poor drivers stuck going 25 miles/hour, while I zoom by in the HOV lane.
The bus that goes from Wagon Rd PnR is 120X (to Market st. Station) or 122X to Civic Center. I live in Boulder, so not usually taking that bus, but once I needed to go to Loveland after work, and leaving my car somewhere near I-25 seemed like a good idea. The ride from Wagon rd to Broadway took 25 minutes, as per RTD schedule. I'm actually somewhat envious to those who can ride 120X/122X - they have buses with 5-7 minutes intervals! Enough to not worry about the schedule at all. The only downside - they are peak-hour only buses, but if you have a regular work schedule that shouldn't be a problem.

Sorry, I normally don't promote something that people state they don't like (public transit in this case), but this was just classic from the standpoint of car vs bus argument, after you mentioned 45 min - 1 hour commute.
I wish I could read in the car/bus/whatever but I can't. It makes me sick. I think I'm just weird but I like knowing my car is there and I'm in control and can come and go as needed. But to each his or her own. I definitely see why some people like it, but it just wasn't for me.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:29 AM

1,260 posts, read 2,044,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I wish I could read in the car/bus/whatever but I can't. It makes me sick. I think I'm just weird but I like knowing my car is there and I'm in control and can come and go as needed. But to each his or her own. I definitely see why some people like it, but it just wasn't for me.
I understand completely. One of my co-workers gets car sick even if not reading on the bus. He gets car sick on a passenger seat of a car as well - he needs to be driving himself to be OK. Not a good situation for him.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:39 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,401,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioToCO View Post

You have stated some of the great benefits of taking public transit. There are other benefits that are little known and not realized.

Many corporations provide eco-passes to their employees. One of the benefits is that it offers a Guaranteed Free Ride Home Program with a free taxi service in case of an unplanned schedule change, illness or emergency. That would help those who take buses which only provide limited peak time services.

Many employees commute to Downtown use the Park-n-Rides at the train stations, such that they can easily go back to their cars with the very frequent and fast service to these stations. Some park their car at these stations to save on Downtown Parking and most have eco-passes and compensated bus passes so their is no cost to use the bus and park. With the expansion of the rail system there will be more places that will provide these advantages.

Many employees have the advantage of commuting from Boulder and stops along I-36, so their is frequent all day and all evening bus service to the stops. There are commuters who live along major bus routes, as Broadway, West Colfax, East Colfax which even have more frequent and almost 24 hour bus service to Downtown.

Yet taking public transit is not only about measuring time but in the relaxing mode of transit that you have noted. It is also more about safety as it is much safer in a bus or a train than a private car on the road and more so the high speed highway. It is especially apparent in severe weather. Why then, do those who are resistant to public transit, crowd the buses and trains on those days. They arrive late at the Park-n-Ride and drive furtively around looking for a rare parking spot; they have that confused angry look and impatiently complain about bad public transit. Of course, they are not dressed for the weather, thinking that the bus and train is going to arrive and depart exactly on time and are shivering in their light coats. We experienced transit riders look on with a little chuckle, in our warm coats and hats; carrying our commuting bags filled with snacks, relaxing readings and media; accepting calmly; knowing the situation as a common event.

Many of us have, after our family and the house, our most valuable expensive possession--our automobile; some consider it their only valuable possession. I feel much better knowing that my car is not parked along the side of the streets or in the more risking parking lots of downtown but is in a much safer location in my garage. I feel more freedom from care when all I have when I go downtown is in my backpack. Also, I do not have to remember where I parked or--once I took the buses right to my home and I became panicky because my garage was empty, not remembering that I drove that day to the Park-n-Ride.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 01-09-2013 at 10:55 AM..

Old 01-09-2013, 10:50 AM

818 posts, read 2,171,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Six (6) miles!
That is like -- halfway across the USA.
Well, some people would think so.

6 miles of walking = 600 kcal
numerous food stops = 3000 kcal
Seems right to me.

There is a reason that many of us LOVE your missives.
Last time I walked six miles it took me 90 minutes

Old 01-09-2013, 04:20 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,123,489 times
One of the ways to gauge how bad the commute is from Thornton is to watch the morning news traffic reports for a while to get an idea of what is going on up north.

It seems every time that I watch, the traffic is most congested on I-25 south into downtown, and the drive is often backed up.

Old 01-09-2013, 05:11 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,401,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJaye View Post
Last time I walked six miles it took me 90 minutes
Good for you! Where were you when I went on those forced marches in the Army, when I just kept my eyes glued, through sweat dripping from my helmet, to the pack of the guy in front; shifting my own heavy pack and hoping that I would not pass out. 6 miles on those marches took much less time, I think about 45 minutes. It was more pleasant on "my march to feed" through North Denver without some Drill Sergeant screaming and pushing my butt.

Livecontent

Old 01-09-2013, 05:27 PM

3,127 posts, read 5,052,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
One of the ways to gauge how bad the commute is from Thornton is to watch the morning news traffic reports for a while to get an idea of what is going on up north.

It seems every time that I watch, the traffic is most congested on I-25 south into downtown, and the drive is often backed up.
Actually it is backed up on all the major arteries around the area. The population has outgrown the highway system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver