Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2013, 04:20 PM

216 posts, read 438,196 times

Advertisements

I have been considering applying for an enticing job in Denver. I have visited the city once and would absolutely consider moving there should the job pan out.

I am a very active, athletic 30something. I had no problems with the altitude when I was there for a few days. However, I have concerns about my folks (in their 60s) being able to come and visit me if I was to move there. My dad, in particular, has a mild heart arrhythmia which he treats with medication. I know that I could not consider moving to Denver if my parents would be precluded from visiting me.

Does anyone have any experience to share on this issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 04:59 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,550,461 times
I ski patrol on the weekends and have received a bit of training with regards to high altitude sickness. High altitude sickness in Denver is extraordinarily rare. Once you get above 10,000 feet, it becomes much more common. Given that your father has a medical condition, he should ask his doctor if he thinks it will be a problem for him. People with COPD can be affected at a much higher degree than regular people. I would guess that he may be a little bit more out of breath than others and probably not able to go to the high country, but again check with his doctor.

An interesting thing to note since you mentioned your personal conditioning: A person's conditioning has not been found to have a positive affect on your tendency to get Altitude sickness. People in very good shape are just as likely (and in some studies actually more likely) to get it.

Old 01-19-2013, 05:14 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,709,569 times
Default Getting accustomed to altitude

When I moved to Denver in 1990, I became ill about four weeks after arriving. Visited a doctor who took a blood sample to analyze while I waited. He came back in the examination room and asked, "You're not from here are you?" I said no, I had just moved in from Kentucky and asked how did he know that. He replied, "People who live here have about 15% more red blood cells than flatlanders do. It's the body's natural response to being able to receive less oxygen through the lungs. It takes about six months to get acclimated."

So, even though you are in good condition, you won't be at your best until you've been there awhile. I would suggest that you do what I did for my parents. I got an oxygen bottle and learned how to use it, just in case. If your father doesn't try to be too active or walk too far, he should be okay. Just keep the oxygen with you in case there is a problem.

By the way, my dad visited us last in Colorado in July, 2005 (we left in 2010). He was pushing 86. We didn't know it then, but all of his arterial junctions were occluded by at least 50%. One was 80%. I did notice he seemed to "nap" frequently. He was near the end of his life, but didn't pass until February, 2006 in as flat a land as you can get---Mobile, Alabama.

So my belief is that even with heart problems, it's not likely that Denver's altitude alone would kill anyone. But then again, I'm not a doctor.

Good luck.

Old 01-19-2013, 06:37 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Agree about the altitude sickness not kicking in until about 8000 feet, but people with compromised respiratory systems can have problems at 5280 feet as well. OP, as long as your parents don't have emphysema or some other chronic lung disease, they should be able to visit you w/o problem.

Old 01-19-2013, 06:52 PM

930 posts, read 1,654,041 times
Check their doctor. I have two personal stories- my grandmother visited me (from Michigan) when we lived in Casper and had a heart attack (no prior known heart issues); additionally, my grandfather-in-law (from Texas) had bad heart issues and died shortly after visiting us.

We can't, obviously, make a correlation for altitude and heart issues, but it's made me very wary to encourage those with heart issues to move to higher altitudes.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:42 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,663,767 times
Agree on checking with your parents' doctors. Every one of us can give you our personal experiences, but your parents need to make their own decisions. My Mom couldn't come visit me in Denver as she got older because her doctor told her not to because of heart condition.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:23 PM

2,075 posts, read 5,121,796 times
Everyone is different. There's no way to tell how the altitude will affect someone until they get here.
SkyDog is right, physical conditioning is no indicator of how the altitude will affect someone.
I live in the mountains @ 8300'. My mom visited us until she was 85 without any issues whatsoever. We took her on drives over 10,000' with no adverse effects. My overweight smoking brother-in-law has had no problems at all.
On the other hand, a woman visited us - she was in her early 40s in excellent physical condition (marathon runner) - and felt mild altitude sickness on a hike at 9,000' ( headache, nausea, shortness of breath).
By the way, several of our neighbors at this elevation are in their 70s and one of them is a smoker.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:47 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,433,334 times
I was wondering about this very thread. My Mom came and visited me last week (with dad). She had heart issues last year but was medicated. Anyway she arrived on Wednesday. She complained of a headache, and we told her to drink lots of water.

The next morning about 4am she collapsed. She slurred her words and collapsed on her way back from the rest room.

CPR and EMTs were not successful at reviving her, and . . .well now I have to wonder if her visit to me killed her.

Old 04-25-2014, 10:06 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,988,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
I was wondering about this very thread. My Mom came and visited me last week (with dad). She had heart issues last year but was medicated. Anyway she arrived on Wednesday. She complained of a headache, and we told her to drink lots of water.

The next morning about 4am she collapsed. She slurred her words and collapsed on her way back from the rest room.

CPR and EMTs were not successful at reviving her, and . . .well now I have to wonder if her visit to me killed her.
Wow, I'm sorry for your loss. Did they determine what the cause of death was? It sounds like she had a stroke or heart attack.

Old 04-25-2014, 04:17 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,433,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
Wow, I'm sorry for your loss. Did they determine what the cause of death was? It sounds like she had a stroke or heart attack.

no. .at that age, when your heart stops and you stop breathing I guess they don't ask a lot of questions

leaves me wondering. . .
  • stroke
  • heart attack (had heart arrhythmia)
  • overdose (taking narcotics/etc due to Ankle arthritis really bad)
  • 5,280 oxygen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver