Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 08:39 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times

Advertisements

@davidv and others: Some friends and I were having a conversation about this "wealthiest county in Colorado" issue. Actually, it came up while I was in DC visiting a friend, and Dougco was listed as one of the wealthiest in the US. I said it's not because there are so many rich people in Dougco, but b/c there are few poor people there. DD and her husband live there, both making professional salaries. But they're not "rich". The same applies to their neighbors. The homes in their neighborhood are modest.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:48 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,610,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
@davidv and others: Some friends and I were having a conversation about this "wealthiest county in Colorado" issue. Actually, it came up while I was in DC visiting a friend, and Dougco was listed as one of the wealthiest in the US. I said it's not because there are so many rich people in Dougco, but b/c there are few poor people there. DD and her husband live there, both making professional salaries. But they're not "rich". The same applies to their neighbors. The homes in their neighborhood are modest.
I believe the median household income in Douglas County is over $90k a year.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:09 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,120,115 times
Quote:
Lack of poverty IS wealthy. One of the issues with the US today is the fact that we have these counties where the people are so insulated from poverty, that their lifestyle becomes what they perceive as "normal" when it is, in fact, far above normal.

Just because they don't "feel" wealthy doesn't mean they aren't wealthy.

Most people in the US cannot buy $40,000 cars or pay $280/month for the entire family to have iPhones (which cost an additional $200 apiece).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
I believe the median household income in Douglas County is over $90k a year.
The median household income for Douglas County is nearly $95,000 per year (or $7,900 per month).

The median household income for metro Denver is $59,000 per year ($4,900 per month/62% of the median DC income).

The median household income for Colorado is $55,000 per year ($4,600 per month/58% of the DC median income).

The median household income in the US is about $50,000 per year ($4,200 per month/53% of the DC median income).

Anyway you slice it, when your income is nearly twice that of the rest if the US, you are wealthy.

When you have that kind of money, and you refuse to invest it in better schools, you do your children a disservice.

Here is an interesting perspective of the matter. While he did well, it is quite clear that things have changed. What happens when a group of kids goes from 1st grade through 12 grade in this environment?

Old 01-26-2013, 01:37 PM

6,774 posts, read 9,327,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
When you have that kind of money, and you refuse to invest it in better schools, you do your children a disservice.

Disagree. I voted against the tax increases for Denver Public Schools even though I could/can afford them. The reason is not because I hate children or schools, it's that I have NO CONFIDENCE in the administration and I don't believe that the extra ~$200/year from me is actually going to produce any results or make the school system better.

With that said, I think Douglas County Schools are decent, based on people I know who have their kids in the system. It really comes down to parental involvement.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
Disagree. I voted against the tax increases for Denver Public Schools even though I could/can afford them. The reason is not because I hate children or schools, it's that I have NO CONFIDENCE in the administration and I don't believe that the extra ~$200/year from me is actually going to produce any results or make the school system better.

With that said, I think Douglas County Schools are decent, based on people I know who have their kids in the system. It really comes down to parental involvement.
So what does DPS waste their money on? Can you point to an instance of waste and fraud? Are you afraid that they might go out and put money into schools so they can be upgraded (what do kids need air conditioning for anyway?)

DPS is not a great district, but it is making strides. You don't turn around failing schools and districts in a couple of years. There was a long period of decline that put DPS in this mess, it will take a long period of time to bring the district back.

Old 01-26-2013, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Lack of poverty IS wealthy. One of the issues with the US today is the fact that we have these counties where the people are so insulated from poverty, that their lifestyle becomes what they perceive as "normal" when it is, in fact, far above normal.

Just because they don't "feel" wealthy doesn't mean they aren't wealthy.

Most people in the US cannot buy $40,000 cars or pay $280/month for the entire family to have iPhones (which cost an additional $200 apiece).

The median household income for Douglas County is nearly $95,000 per year (or $7,900 per month).

The median household income for metro Denver is $59,000 per year ($4,900 per month/62% of the median DC income).

The median household income for Colorado is $55,000 per year ($4,600 per month/58% of the DC median income).

The median household income in the US is about $50,000 per year ($4,200 per month/53% of the DC median income).

Anyway you slice it, when your income is nearly twice that of the rest if the US, you are wealthy.

Here is an interesting perspective of the matter. While he did well, it is quite clear that things have changed. What happens when a group of kids goes from 1st grade through 12 grade in this environment?
Poverty rate Denver:
24%
//www.city-data.com/poverty/pov...-Colorado.html
Poverty rate Douglas County:
3.2%
//www.city-data.com/county/Douglas_County-CO.html

A 24% poverty level can bring down the median household income quite a bit. A 3.2% poverty rate can elevate it by quite a bit.

Old 01-26-2013, 04:12 PM

17,704 posts, read 29,791,770 times
Default Pensions

Quote:
So what does DPS waste their money on?
1. Defined benefit pensions.
2. Then never fire anyone (almost).
3. There are many empty classrooms and semi-empty schools.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Poverty rate Denver:
24%
//www.city-data.com/poverty/pov...-Colorado.html
Poverty rate Douglas County:
3.2%
//www.city-data.com/county/Douglas_County-CO.html

A 24% poverty level can bring down the median household income quite a bit. A 3.2% poverty rate can elevate it by quite a bit.
I am not sure what you are trying to say. It seems to me that you are saying that Douglas County is not poor because few people who are poor live there. Well it would seem to me that if very few poor people live there, and half of the population makes more than $95,000 a year, then the area is wealthy.

I am not sure why you are trying to prove that Douglas County is not wealthy, I don't care if they are wealthy or not.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
1. Defined benefit pensions.
2. Then never fire anyone (almost).
3. There are many empty classrooms and semi-empty schools.
I vehemently disagree:
1. Defined benefit pensions are neither corrupt nor wasteful.
2. Prove that a) they never fire anybody, and b) the people who are not fired should be fired.
3. Enrollment has grown almost 15% since 2007.

Old 01-26-2013, 07:22 PM

Quote:
I am not sure what you are trying to say. It seems to me that you are saying that Douglas County is not poor because few people who are poor live there. Well it would seem to me that if very few poor people live there, and half of the population makes more than $95,000 a year, then the area is wealthy.

I am not sure why you are trying to prove that Douglas County is not wealthy, I don't care if they are wealthy or not.
Although you don't care, I'll explain it.

24% of the people in Denver live below the poverty line. Here is a table of incomes per family size.
Colorado Department of Local Affairs - Poverty Guidelines
The poverty level for a family of 4 is $23,050. Almost 1/4 of Denver's families make less than that, pushing the median income to what it is. In Douglas County, the number of people making less than that is practically negligible, 3.2 %. Of course DC's median income is higher. Ask one of your math teachers to explain this if you don't get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver