Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 09:42 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,558,348 times

Advertisements

I do love living here. So much to do in my opinion. The only element that bugs me is the elitist "Native" attitude to us transplants. I am not saying all the "Natives" are like that but there are some angry ones out there. Even after living here for 14 years I still get comments when some people find out I am a transplant. I love talking to them because I learn about Colorado and it's rich history. Can't we all just get along?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 11:03 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,096,650 times
I would say Denver is more like a miniature L.A. than Seattle. It has a large downtown, but most people live in the sprawling suburbs, and commuter either to the city or other suburbs. It is always sunny, and you don't have to look far to find BMW convertibles or boob-jobs.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:38 AM

704 posts, read 1,785,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
I think Denver can be a good place to live, but it's also overrated in pretty much every category. I don't subscribe to the "Denver is paradise" religion that a lot of the locals here believe in. Tekkie mentioned the cost of living. The cost of housing here, whether you rent or you're looking to buy, is increasing much faster than the national average. And yet at the same time the quality of life here is not getting one iota better.
I'm a native, and were that not the case, I doubt I'd continue living here. But having roots, family, etc. makes sort of tilts the scale, as it were.

I am constantly amazed by the hype over this city that I find, most especially right here on City-Data. The place is a generally overgrown, suburbanized, western cowtown with a strongly midwestern vibe. If you're looking for culture, I can think of several other similarly situated cities--Twin Cities, Seattle, Dallas, St. Louis--that would be better. If you're looking for the outdoors, especially considering I-70 weekend traffic, then there's no doubt that Salt Lake or Portland would be better. If you're looking for city life, then, unless you're from Cheyenne or Wichita (which, of course, is where so many Denverites seeking an "urban" lifestyle do indeed come from, finding the place to be a virtual Manhattan compared to where they are from), it's not a great place.

I still contend that what attracts people most to Denver are nice suburbs with young families, a low tax rate, a somewhat hopeful economic outlook, and apparently decent schools (though that certainly depends on where in the suburbs you live). When Denver tries to position itself as some oasis of cultured urban life, it fails.

All of that said, the quality of life here is definitely getting worse. But I'm sure that people in Dallas, Houston, Austin, and Salt Lake, and other fast-growing cities, might say the same thing about their hometowns. I honestly don't know. What I do know is that the pressure from a good number of people here to paint and sculpt Denver as something other than the congenial cowtown it's always been is a perpetual temptation for city leaders and maybe residents, and I don't see much good to come from it.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:39 AM

704 posts, read 1,785,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_reino View Post
I would say Denver is more like a miniature L.A. than Seattle. It has a large downtown, but most people live in the sprawling suburbs, and commuter either to the city or other suburbs. It is always sunny, and you don't have to look far to find BMW convertibles or boob-jobs.
Denver is a mix of LA and Kansas City. Or maybe Minneapolis and Phoenix. People try to compare it to various West Coast cities, but it's not really especially like any of them.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:56 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,793,084 times
After living in Ashville NC , Lexington KY.San Antonio TX, Columbia SC, Aspen, Arvada, Boulder, Fort Carson (Springs). Malibu,West Hollywood, Newport/Laguna, spent a ton of time in rural kansas and been to every major US city..I can honestly say Denver is absolutely one of my favorite cities; this comes from someone who couldn't get out of the metro area fast enough referring to Denver as Denvoid. Most of my native CO.buddies live in Seattle, LA.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:56 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,096,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post
If you're looking for culture, I can think of several other similarly situated cities--Twin Cities, Seattle, Dallas, St. Louis--that would be better. If you're looking for the outdoors, especially considering I-70 weekend traffic, then there's no doubt that Salt Lake or Portland would be better. If you're looking for city life, then, unless you're from Cheyenne or Wichita (which, of course, is where so many Denverites seeking an "urban" lifestyle do indeed come from, finding the place to be a virtual Manhattan compared to where they are from), it's not a great place.
Right, but if you're looking for a great COMBINATION of all of the above traits, then there is no better city than Denver.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:25 PM

7,138 posts, read 10,979,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_reino View Post
Not surprising, because 2/3 of the Denver Metro population is made up of former Los Angelenos who have moved to Colorado. 50 years ago, the City and County of Denver was about the same size it is now, with a ring of very small almost irrelevant suburbs. People lived and worked in Denver, and had a short drive or bus ride to work.

Which just goes to show that when a large number of people move from one place to another, and take their lifestyle with them. The place they are moving to starts to look like the place they came from.

Old 02-14-2013, 01:04 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,119,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Not surprising, because 2/3 of the Denver Metro population is made up of former Los Angelenos who have moved to Colorado. 50 years ago, the City and County of Denver was about the same size it is now, with a ring of very small almost irrelevant suburbs. People lived and worked in Denver, and had a short drive or bus ride to work.

Which just goes to show that when a large number of people move from one place to another, and take their lifestyle with them. The place they are moving to starts to look like the place they came from.
I moved here from Orange County, CA. I just wish we could do something about the winter... and get some palm trees in Denver. Oh well, maybe after Trader Joe's opens up, I'll get my wish

Old 02-14-2013, 01:41 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,558,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I moved here from Orange County, CA. I just wish we could do something about the winter... and get some palm trees in Denver. Oh well, maybe after Trader Joe's opens up, I'll get my wish
I do miss the palms.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:12 AM

7,138 posts, read 10,979,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
LOL. I got the hell out of Denver to get palm trees, and get away from the 60 inches of snow a year. I'm very satisfied with my decision. My only reservation was the cost of living here in California. But now that it looks like the cost of living n Colorado is fast becoming the same as it is in California, thats not even an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver