Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 10:19 AM

47 posts, read 92,990 times

Advertisements

After reading some of these threads, I'm surprised by the comments about animosity from native Coloradans. As a native, I recognize that the growth in Denver is bringing more jobs, more diversity and more access. It's worth the uptick in COL and extra traffic. Thanks for moving to CO, and I'm sorry the disgruntled natives have been so rude to so many!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 10:36 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,611,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ageinco View Post
After reading some of these threads, I'm surprised by the comments about animosity from native Coloradans. As a native, I recognize that the growth in Denver is bringing more jobs, more diversity and more access. It's worth the uptick in COL and extra traffic. Thanks for moving to CO, and I'm sorry the disgruntled natives have been so rude to so many!
I love you.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:21 PM

9 posts, read 29,190 times
I agree with this post - as someone who is not a native I have sometimes considered whether it was worth posting, since I would likely get a number of helpful answers, but generally some obnoxious posts as well. I would expect that given the purpose of the forum, people who regularly make snotty posts would be hounded out of the place.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:48 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,217,084 times
Don't want to kill the sentiment, but let's not forget the other half of what growth brings, as well. If we all agree to manage it responsibly, we might be able to make it for a while, but water issues, higher cost of living, increased pollution, higher housing costs (personal issue for me) and changes to the very things that brought the *last* batch of people here (or to the very things that the "natives" grew up with and are the reason they are still here).

Come to Colorado for what it is, not for what you wish it would be. Be ready to help manage our future problems and enjoy the natural beauty that's there without judging it against somewhere else. "Become" a native, and welcome =)

Old 02-17-2013, 07:09 PM

434 posts, read 1,117,913 times
My husband and I (with two little kids in tow) just finished a 48 hour whirlwind tour of Denver to see if we can give a preliminary yes to an offer to move there.

While I didn't find Denverians to be overly friendly (nobody smiled and said hi at the playground unless we approached them first), I did find them very approachable and friendly I said Hi and asked them if we could ask them a couple questions. I chatted up a mom & teenager in a pizza place, a children's librarian, a parent at a playground, a front desk guy at a hotel, and a building maintenance guy at another hotel. All were very happy to chat about how much they loved living in Denver and give advice.

Overall, I thought it was a fairly friendly place - other than the dirty teenagers hanging out at the 16th street mall, bless their hearts.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:14 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,055,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ageinco View Post
Thank you! Folks like you are the reason we have moved back to Colorado three times, hopefully to stay this time.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:54 PM

26 posts, read 66,578 times
While I too have been somewhat surprised by some of the less than friendly responses, they are not completely unexpected. As a transplant who will be moving to Denver from CA, I should be the one to adapt to the native lifestyle, not the other way around. I believe this to be true on a local, state, national or international level. One of the aspects of Denver that my wife and I are looking forward to is the feeling closer to our midwest roots (WI and IL).

Another area of frustration frequently expressed in many threads is when people spend no time trying to research their own questions before asking someone to answer it for them. Again, understandable. As I continue to follow this forum, I have and will in the future get great insight and direction from many who have more knowledge than I on many subjects. For this I am grateful. The few comments from those who may be less understanding is a small price to pay and should be taken with a grain of salt. Sometimes people are just having a bad day. Thanks to all who take the time to offer advice, I have found it extremely helpful.

P.S. Please forgive me if I have offended anyone by posting this reponse.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:51 PM

21 posts, read 38,677 times
I don't mind the cautionary posts from natives. At least they're saying what they believe to be true over what they think that others want to hear. If I were going to move to a place going down the tubes, I would want to be warned as well.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:32 PM

62 posts, read 76,913 times
The whole native/non-native distinction is absurd and arbitrary. Why should it matter if you were born in Colorado? That's merely an accident of birth that you had no cause in creating. And why draw the line there? Were your parents born there? Why not arbitrarily say you have to go 5 generations back to claim "native" status?

In fact, I could argue that if your reason for living in Colorado is because you were "born there" rather than, say, you love the great outdoors, then your claim to Colorado turf is inferior.

What it boils down to is you're either a good citizen of the state or you're not, and the state you were born in has no impact on that. I think Coloradoans are nicer than the average folk, but I agree with the OP. Seriously, this nativist garbage is really puerile.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:55 PM

9,338 posts, read 7,106,572 times
Great post OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver