Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2013, 07:41 PM

2 posts, read 8,250 times

Advertisements

My wife may be transferred to Denver in the next few months which has us scrambling to figure out where to live if it happens. If she does get the job in Denver it will be near the airport.

We currently live in Rochester, NY. Neither one of us have ever been to Denver and although we will definitely visit before we decide to take the plunge, I'd still like to do some research beforehand.

Although we're open to nicer city neighborhoods, we've always lived in the suburbs and will probably be most comfortable there. We have a 2 1/2 y/o son so daycare/schools are important to us, as is safety/low crime. We'd rather not rent if we don't have to and are looking for single family homes in the $150k price range.

All opinions/advice are appreciated as well as the occasional brag about how awesome Denver is.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 08:56 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,546,884 times
Boy that price is tough. Denver is a very different real estate market than where you are coming from. I just looked at Rochesters average listing price on a home and it's $130K. The city of Denver is around $400K right now. Even outside of the city in the suburban areas that is not going to buy very much.

If you want to be close to the airport, this is probably a good bet for a neighborhood. This is an incredibly inexpensive area for Denver so you get some of the baggage that comes with that. Denver, Green Valley Ranch real estate overview - Trulia.com

Last edited by SkyDog77; 02-16-2013 at 09:10 PM..

Old 02-16-2013, 09:44 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,120,115 times
I am going to second SkyDog's post. Finding something for $150k will be very hard.

Go to a real estate site like recolorado.com and type in your requirements.

When the listings appear, click on the map view tab.

DIA is in the Northeastern corner of the metro area. You can click on the houses to see what they are like.

When I searched, the nicest houses were actually row houses in a newer part of Commerce City.

If you want good schools, I would avoid Denver Public School District and Aurora Public Schools.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:44 PM

3,125 posts, read 5,045,940 times
Well...Green Valley Ranch does have a bit of a reputation for crime and the last time I looked the statistics bore that out so I don't know if I could recommend it for the OP.

This area of Thornton might be a nice compromise. It is a little farther to the airport but not bad.
3561 E 122nd Ave, Thornton, CO 80241 - Zillow
Schools are middling in the 6s at GreatSchoolsRating.com. Crime is probably loads better than Green Valley Ranch. Modest single family homes can be had in the OPs price and it is a nice area.

Some of these attached home (duplex) neighborhoods can be quite nice because the association keeps the outsides up so they don't get as run down as the other low priced areas.
13066 Harrison Dr., Thornton, CO 80241 - Zillow

Here is another Thornton home.
12598 Elm St, Thornton, CO 80241 - Zillow
Schools a little less rated.

Reunion is very close to the airport and very new. It is also probably the safest option. But in OPs price range would likely be a town home.
18052 E 104th Pl, Commerce City, CO 80022 - Zillow
However the schools are poor-mediocre per the ratings.

Old 02-16-2013, 11:04 PM

2 posts, read 8,250 times
Thanks for the info everyone. Guess we have a few decisions to make as well as a few visits. I didn't expect Denver to be like Rochester, but the home prices definitely surprised me. Now that I'm more aware of the market out there, I'll revise my search criteria.

I've been looking at a few MLS sites and they show lots of homes in our range, but I'm guessing there in less than desirable areas or foreclosures.

I wouldn't think twice about the jump if we were childless, but there's lots more to think about when you have a family. I guess we'll wait to see if she is offered the position then take it from there.

Glad I found this forum, thanks again for such quick, honest replies.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:56 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,943,582 times
I'm a little farhter into the process, and this map helped me find areas with better schools.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:12 AM

17,704 posts, read 29,791,770 times
Default Big weakness to map

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
I'm a little farther into the process, and this map helped me find areas with better schools.
Thanks for the link to that map. I had never seen this before.

But, in some respects, it is useless.
For example, it does include a single school in the Stapleton area.
For example, it shows East High School as average. Which is true for the entire building, but East is really 2 schools in one. The X-Track is above average and the rest is probably below.

It is weak in not indicating schools that are failing.
For example, the Francis Day Elementary in Adams 50 is orange when it should be red.

It is very good at showing the overall picture.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:14 AM

17,704 posts, read 29,791,770 times
Default Read the data and weep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpic View Post
looking for single family homes in the $150k price range.
25th, Median (50th) and 75th Percentile Asking Prices for Denver Colorado

Old 02-17-2013, 08:41 AM

618 posts, read 1,365,535 times
Hi there, Denver is super-awesome!

If you can raise your search to $200K, you'll have many more options nearby. It's possible that you could find a place in SE Aurora near 470 in the Cherry Creek School District, which is excellent. Reunion is also nice and close to the airport, but schools are merely average. I'd also consider north Thornton. My favorite neighborhood is Stapleton (the old airport), but at $200k, you could only afford a small townhome or condo.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:26 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,120,115 times
Default I like this map, BUT...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
I'm a little farhter into the process, and this map helped me find areas with better schools.
The data found on this map for each school is 5-7 years old. It is mostly accurate, but things change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver