Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2013, 12:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,315 times

Advertisements

Hi there!My boyfriend (23yrs) and I (22yrs) are planning on moving to the Denver area around the end of March from North Dakota. We should have around $5,000 in savings for the move. So I would love some help from you guys.

Jobs:
We currently don't have any jobs lined up, we are both working full time now in ND. My boyfriend has mechanic/ various car experience and is going to try and get into that field. I have over a year in experience as an office assistant. I would prefer another office job. I'm on the fence about apply for a job while in ND. I figured when we moved down there I would get in touch with a temp. agency. Would that be a good plan? Or should I be contacting businesses even though I'm not living there yet?

Housing:
We haven't applied to any apartments yet. Our budget is under $600 a month for rent and we only need a 1BR, no pets. Weir not picky, but using the www.padmapper.com website we've found some apartments in decent areas with great prices. Okay, would it be possible to get an apartment set and move-in ready up while I'm in ND? I don't know much about big city renting either. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Furnishing:
We are taking our two little cars and we can't bring major furniture (not like we currently have much anyways). Would it be feasable to rely on rummage sales/ craigslist and the like to get furniture to save money? ie. mattresses, desks, tables, couches, chairs.

If you need to know anything else just ask I'm very nervous about the move and I want as much planned out before hand as possible. Thank you so much for looking!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 12:38 PM

618 posts, read 1,362,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonodaumus View Post
Hi there!My boyfriend (23yrs) and I (22yrs) are planning on moving to the Denver area around the end of March from North Dakota. We should have around $5,000 in savings for the move. So I would love some help from you guys.

Jobs:
We currently don't have any jobs lined up, we are both working full time now in ND. My boyfriend has mechanic/ various car experience and is going to try and get into that field. I have over a year in experience as an office assistant. I would prefer another office job. I'm on the fence about apply for a job while in ND. I figured when we moved down there I would get in touch with a temp. agency. Would that be a good plan? Or should I be contacting businesses even though I'm not living there yet?

Housing:
We haven't applied to any apartments yet. Our budget is under $600 a month for rent and we only need a 1BR, no pets. Weir not picky, but using the www.padmapper.com website we've found some apartments in decent areas with great prices. Okay, would it be possible to get an apartment set and move-in ready up while I'm in ND? I don't know much about big city renting either. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Furnishing:
We are taking our two little cars and we can't bring major furniture (not like we currently have much anyways). Would it be feasable to rely on rummage sales/ craigslist and the like to get furniture to save money? ie. mattresses, desks, tables, couches, chairs.

If you need to know anything else just ask I'm very nervous about the move and I want as much planned out before hand as possible. Thank you so much for looking!
I would start applying for a job right now. You could get in touch with several temp agencies now and interview as soon as you arrive.

It is easy to find used furniture, but do not buy a used mattress - unless you like living with bedbugs.

Old 02-25-2013, 01:47 PM

17,692 posts, read 29,691,842 times
Default Really?

Quote:
Our budget is under $600 a month for rent and we only need a 1BR, no pets. ...padmapper.. .we've found some apartments in decent areas with great prices.
Really?
I didn't.
I found some in places I would not live.
I think your budget is too low.

Colorado Division of Housing: Slide show: Latest vacancy and rent data for metro Denver

Old 02-25-2013, 01:52 PM

356 posts, read 622,619 times
A lot of variables in your post. Your housing locations will be determined by your employment location (you don't want to live in a 'burb in the SE and commute to a job in the NE). I agree for an office job, there are several national temp agencies you can start to work who have have experience in securing a position for work in another State. Oh and I saw that Firestone was hiring on Arapahoe/Yosemite (DTC area).

Furniture is easy to get, Goodwill, CL, ARC, etc. For a mattress I would check out Ikea or Denver Mattress. Both will have affordable new options.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:23 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,088,952 times
600 dollars a month? In what "decent" areas? I didn't think you could get anything even close to decent for 600 dollars a month especially not anywhere near the city. I got my mattress from American Furniture Warehouse for about 500 dollars. So far so good.

Get your resume up to speed and start applying for jobs. You can note in your cover letter you'll be local as of whatever your move date is. No reason not to be proactive ahead of time.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:29 PM

55 posts, read 110,207 times
You may find a few problems with no jobs and a limited budget.

Very few agents will rent a property to you without you actually viewing the property in person as it is their "policy". It's something I am dealing with now. Some agents will allow you to send someone on to view the property on your behalf.

As you don't have a job yet, you will most likely need to pay some rent in advance or they may request you to have someone sign as a guarantor on the lease.

If I get there before you, I will gladly help you out on the viewings. I'm getting back into the "rental' business when I arrive. From what I have witnessed so far I'll give a better service than I have received

Have you thought of getting a U-haul or a cube for your stuff? Depending on the price of course.

Good luck with the move
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: