Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 09:52 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,120,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leosmama View Post
My father in law does this commute daily. It takes him between an hour and 75 minutes.
Really? What time does he leave? What route does he take?

It takes me 60-75 min for this commute only during a bad snowstorm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 02:43 PM

75 posts, read 149,529 times
I have no idea, that's just what he says. He's actually really pleased with his commute, as his commute when he lived in South Brooklyn and worked in Manhattan was 2+ hours, so I guess it's all relative. I'll ask him next time I see him, I'm sure he'd appreciate an alternative route. Happily, I do not live down there and do not commute at all.

Old 07-04-2014, 10:13 AM

130 posts, read 163,448 times
Default Commute question: home in Ken Caryl Valley, work in DTC

Hi, this is related to my other thread about commuting from Golden to DTC. Now considering Ken Caryl Valley (west of 470). What's that commute like to the Tech Center? As far as I can tell, the 470 has issues at rush hour. Is this commute as bad as the Golden/DTC commute? Not as bad, but still bad? Not bad at all?

Any route suggestions (besides just 470-25) also welcome. Thanks!

Old 07-04-2014, 02:33 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,660,633 times
I don't know why you keep looking west when your job is in the Tech Center. One problem is that you will always (both morning and night) be driving with the sun in your eyes. I feel that there are plenty of really nice neighborhoods in really good school districts within a very easy commute to the DTC.

As others said before, Englewood, Littleton, Greenwood Village, Arapahoe County, Parker and Centennial should be considered. You can find all sorts of different kinds of housing ranging from apartments to townhouses to single family homes to huge mansions. There are older homes in established neighborhoods and there are brand new homes. And there are plenty of parks and trails scattered throughout.

Old 07-04-2014, 02:42 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
OMG, don't do it! I know how inviting Ken-Caryl is -- really, I do -- but that commute will make you miserable if you must make it every day. If you can work at home regularly, only then should you consider it.

Old 07-04-2014, 03:46 PM

OK, thanks. We won't consider it—now that we know. That's why we're asking the questions.

Part of why we're moving to Colorado is to live a bit of the mountain life. Some of the suburbs feel like they could be anywhere in the U.S. In Golden and Ken Caryl, you get a bit of the mountains without being deep in them (though, apparently, you might as well be deep in the mountains if your work is in the Tech Center). We also like the close-in Denver areas (Wash Park, Platt Park, etc.) but they are simply way overpriced. Beginning to wonder why, other than the mountains, we left San Diego, considering real estate here is not really much more of a bargain.....

In any case, thanks as always for the responses. Seems like Centennial is the way to go for us. At least you get a nice mountain view there from many of the thoroughfares.

Old 07-04-2014, 03:52 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
Smoky Hill Ridge in Southeast Aurora sits at 6100 feet. It's pretty cool looking down on downtown from out on the plains. The commute from out here to the tech center isn't bad and the mountains are still relatively close by.

Old 07-05-2014, 11:33 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,120,696 times
I am a big believer in living where you work, however, I do the Ken Caryl - DTC commute because I believe it is a better quality of life.

Like everywhere else, your commute will depend on the time of day and time of year. Commuting before 6:30 am means the trip takes 30 - 35 min. (I commute to I-225 and DTC Blvd ). Commuting after 6:30 am means a commute of 40 -45 min for me. Arapahoe and I-25 would be 5 min shorter. There will be periods during the year when the commute slows down because you will be driving into the sun, but it adds only a few minutes.

If you live out in Centennial, traveling on Arapahoe Rd from Quebec to Havana can take 15 - 20 min for the 3 mile stretch because there are 8 lights that you must contend with in that area. Furthermore, the traffic is so congested much of the time that it will take longer to do your everyday tasks because you must drive everywhere.

I leave at 6:30 am to be at work by 7:00 am. Many people where I work live in Centennial and they must leave at 6:35 - 6:40 am to be at work by 7:00 am. They only save a few minutes every morning.

Old 07-06-2014, 01:43 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,618,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoCO View Post
Is the commute from the Ken Caryl area of Littleton to the Tech Center rough? Does anyone do this drive on a regular basis? My husband generally leaves for work before 7 am and returns around 4 pm or so. We love that part of Littleton because it is closer to 285 and the mountains but are hesitant because of his drive to work. He wants less than 30 minutes.

Drove it everyday up until Thursday (new job in Downtown). Wasn't bad...about 30minute commute C470 is your best bet...straight shot..because you will merge onto I25. My job was off of I25 and Arapahoe.

Old 07-06-2014, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
If you live out in Centennial, traveling on Arapahoe Rd from Quebec to Havana can take 15 - 20 min for the 3 mile stretch because there are 8 lights that you must contend with in that area. Furthermore, the traffic is so congested much of the time that it will take longer to do your everyday tasks because you must drive everywhere.
Centennial covers a wide area both west and east of I-25. The house we are considering is west of I-25 (Willow Creek neighborhood), and close enough to my office (Arapahoe & 25) that I can probably ride my bike. At the very least, I won't need to even get on the highway.

But now I don't know what to think. That's two responses that make it seem like a reasonable commute from Ken Caryl, with several other responses above that call it a commute from hell. You can't all be right, so who do I believe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver