Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 04:57 PM

3 posts, read 5,075 times

Advertisements

Hi, I've been browsing the site for some time now reading lots of helpful things. I searched through a bunch of the past threads but couldn't find specifically what I was looking for.
My wife and I (early 20's) are moving to Denver in June for my job located in downtown.
I have been looking at neighborhoods where we would like to live, and have a few in mind. I think we would like areas such as Park Hill, Wash Park, Baker, Berkely, Highlands... Places where we can walk the dog, walk neighborhood/shops and so forth.
I am looking for advice/help on what the rental prices are in these areas for a small 2 bedroom house with yard ? Our budget would be roughly 1100, is this possible in neighborhoods like the ones mentioned. (I have looked on craigslist/padmapper but wanted advice from you all).
Also, we are looking to come to Denver the end of March and walk some neighborhoods and look for rentals. Is this still to early if we want a place starting in June? Craigslist and walking neighborhoods still the best way to find rentals?
Any other areas to check out for that price range?
Thanks ahead of time, the last thing we want to do is end up in a huge apt complex....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 07:10 PM

47 posts, read 92,811 times
Default Housing

The areas you have mentioned are on the upper end of the rental market. It's very difficult to find a single family home for rent, and $1100 is definitely not going to get you there. I've seen some row houses/townhomes for rent in those areas with 2 or 3 bedrooms, but they are well above your price range. $1100 a month may get you a 2 bedroom apartment. When I left LoDo in October and had to move to the South suburbs (unfortunately had to relocate for my partner's job), we were paying $1700 a month for a 800 sq ft 2 bedroom. We're now paying $1100 a month for a 950 sq ft one bedroom. Rents are high in Denver and the surrounding areas, and are increasing rapidly. The areas that you might find a single family home for $1100 aren't generally the best, and you'll be hard pressed to rent a house for that even in the outer suburbs.

Right now the vacancy rate for metro Denver is SUPER low (see some of the other threads), so rentals move fast. March may be a little early to do some house hunting, as most tenants give notice between 30 and 60 days. Some other areas that might be worth checking out are Cap Hill, Arvada, Old Littleton, Englewood, Bel Mar in Lakewood, etc. Thoughts, anyone?

Craigslist, padmapper.com, hotpads.com and walking around are your best bet. There aren't a lot of "huge apartment complexes" close to Downtown, so if you do end up in an apartment, it will most likely be in an older building with only a few units - it may be an apartment, but it's not going to be cookie cutter.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:47 PM

75 posts, read 149,109 times
I have a couple rentals in Sunnyside, 1100 could get you a one bedroom easy

Old 03-05-2013, 08:57 PM

Yea, I thought my budget may not be enough for a house there. I have been looking at Capital Hill also. We may have to resort to an apartment if we find a nice one. Thanks for your thought!

Leosmama, when you say one bedroom, around what size? Small/large? Just curious...

Old 03-05-2013, 09:04 PM

75 posts, read 149,109 times
One half of a midcentury duplex, for example. Or an older, not overly updated bungalow. Sunnyside is doable in your price range. I'm trying to think of the square footage of mine, and I'm not sure, so I will guesstimate 1000 square feet.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:58 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,677,291 times
Single family house is pretty unlikely in that price range. You could probably find an older two bdrm apartment in that range, though, nothing fancy.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:14 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,427,320 times
For $1100, you'll likely be confined to an apartment, a 1BR in some areas, a 2 BR elsewhere. I'd look in Cap Hill for starters. That is probably where you'll find the cheapest rent near downtown, though let it be known, most of the buildings in the neighborhood are older. Otherwise, the farther away from the CBD you go, the more bang for the buck you'll get.

Glad to hear that you have a job already lined up, because the job market in Denver is very weak.

Old 03-06-2013, 01:14 PM

168 posts, read 621,163 times
Default Denver rentals

Hi - send me a DM and I'd be glad to recommend 2 property management companies I work with. they both tend to have rental inventory that's not on CList.

Thanks.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:52 PM

Thank you all for the replies, lots of info.
Realistically, about how far of a commute to downtown would it be from further out, say the Englewood/Littleton area?

sumisu - will do!

Old 03-06-2013, 07:02 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,427,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobelhs View Post
Thank you all for the replies, lots of info.
Realistically, about how far of a commute to downtown would it be from further out, say the Englewood/Littleton area?
Depending on which area, probably about 15-20 minutes during off peak hours. During rush hour, probably 45 mins to an hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver