Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 08:11 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,557,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Lucky Pie in LoDo, excellent pizza and good brew too. I'm a native Bostonian so I understand the OP's frustration, but having visited Denver a number of times, this joint is the first memorable place I've eaten at in Denver and highly reccommend it. It's got mostly good reviews on urbanspoon and yelp as well.

Lucky Pie |
Agree!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
I take ot you've never had New York pizza or a bagel from the East Coast.

It's hard to explain in words.

I got some bagels at a place in Charlottesville Virginia and they were so fresh and good out of the oven, they didn't even need to be toasted.

I think it's an altitude thing.
The Bagel Bakery on Monaco. Hands down best in town

Old 03-19-2013, 08:18 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,819,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
Its not in denver, but high mountain pies in Leadville (!) beats anything in denver and can hold its own against most east coast joints.
Best meatball pizza I've had was there at High Mountain Pies in Leadville (they make their own meatballs too). I ate there after hiking Mt. Elbert one day, very satisfying!

Old 03-19-2013, 08:40 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,819,647 times
I think the some of the ones complaining here arn't looking hard enough. Some I imagine drove down one strip mally boulevard in the burbs and saw the array of Domino's, Papa Johns, and Papa Murphy's and perhaps decided that this is what Denver has to offer for pizza. Some need to accept the fact that they are not going to find the 3rd generation neighborhood pizza joint on the corner in Brooklyn to magically appear in Denver. Also the ONLY place I've ever had good Chicago style pizza is IN Chicago, that's just the way it is though I could be wrong and I probably am, and I'd be willing to try it somewhere else.

Dining out can be trial and error, and I've had both good and bad pizza in the sacred pizza havens of Boston, Providence, and New York City. Imagine having lousy and overpriced pizza in New York? That is a bitter experience let me tell you, and it happens. So just because it happens in Denver doesn't mean that great pizza can't be found in Denver, I've found it! Get out there and look, try harder, get reccomendations. There are plenty of NY'er yelpers out there that have experience in dining out in Denver, and enough transplants from pizza haven cities that have made a difference. If you have had some bad or mediocre pizza experiences in Denver and then you have written off pizza completely in the whole metro area based on a few experiences or repeating the same medicore experience instead of looking for something new, then that's your own fault and you're impossible to please.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:08 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,616,175 times
When I eat pizza, which is rare, I go to Anthony's, Big Bill's or Parry's. They all taste good to me and are New York style.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:28 AM

I drunkenly crushed a slice of Two Fisted Mario's on Saturday night after a long day of St. Patrick's fun. There is nothing better than Mario's at two in the morning.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:37 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,833,781 times
Basil docs

Old 03-19-2013, 10:56 AM

833 posts, read 1,712,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
On the other hand, Mexican food in Chicago, New York, and Connecticut really sucks.

I guess it all balances out.
Aww, c'mon, my family in Illinois LOVES Chi-Chi's for their Mexican food; don't tell me it gets any better than that!

Old 03-19-2013, 11:01 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
I think the some of the ones complaining here arn't looking hard enough. Some I imagine drove down one strip mally boulevard in the burbs and saw the array of Domino's, Papa Johns, and Papa Murphy's and perhaps decided that this is what Denver has to offer for pizza. Some need to accept the fact that they are not going to find the 3rd generation neighborhood pizza joint on the corner in Brooklyn to magically appear in Denver. Also the ONLY place I've ever had good Chicago style pizza is IN Chicago, that's just the way it is though I could be wrong and I probably am, and I'd be willing to try it somewhere else.

Dining out can be trial and error, and I've had both good and bad pizza in the sacred pizza havens of Boston, Providence, and New York City. Imagine having lousy and overpriced pizza in New York? That is a bitter experience let me tell you, and it happens. So just because it happens in Denver doesn't mean that great pizza can't be found in Denver, I've found it! Get out there and look, try harder, get reccomendations. There are plenty of NY'er yelpers out there that have experience in dining out in Denver, and enough transplants from pizza haven cities that have made a difference. If you have had some bad or mediocre pizza experiences in Denver and then you have written off pizza completely in the whole metro area based on a few experiences or repeating the same medicore experience instead of looking for something new, then that's your own fault and you're impossible to please.
Great post!

I agree - it is trial and error. And, sometimes may require stepping outside our comfort zones and taking a chance at the "hole-in-the-wall" that we may walk past on a regular basis.
A quick look on Travel Advisor, for example, shows a lot of places that offer pizza in Denver. Sure, it may not be considered a "mecca" like some other places, but, there clearly is demand here and I know, based on my preferences, that it isn't all bad, in fact, some is very, very good.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:11 AM

833 posts, read 1,712,559 times
Anyone have thoughts about Pantaleone's in SE Denver (Monaco & Evans area)?

It's been years, but I recall it was an above average pizza; maybe not NY good, but better than most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver