Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 09:39 AM

260 posts, read 1,436,890 times

Advertisements

Without much humidity, our lows are not as chilling and our hots are not as roasting.

I've been wearing a light jacket in the mornings that can usually be removed by the time I get to work.

Remember, people in CO often wear shorts in 50 or 60 degree weather, while others must adorn sweats. It is always best to layer, so you can strip down to the outfit your most comfortable in during the day, or add back after dark.

The one thing you'll notice, esp. in the summer months -- we actually cool down every night or most nights. Its not chilly, but in the summer, even on hot days -- it gets real nice by 9pm ... try that in FL in July!

I actually had snow a couple weekends ago in Castle Rock, almost 10" ... it was gone 2 days later ... and we've been in the mid 70's most of the last week. It will drop 20 degrees by tomorrow, since Halloween here is almost also cold and/or snowing. This year will be relatively wonderful at 50's and no rain or snow.

If you don't like the weather in Colorado, wait a couple days and you'll get something new. I love the change. Never boring. Yes, you'll need some jackets ... but there will still be days in December when you won't need to wear them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 10:09 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,475,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Averie-Jay View Post
Sometimes ignorance is bliss, if you ask me!
You may not last long here, with that outlook! You may come here, only to leave, saying, "I never knew they had tornadoes, windstorms, hailstorms, etc."

Old 10-30-2007, 10:18 AM

456 posts, read 1,574,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoRuMRideR420 View Post
nice ill send you a message! where did you move from?
Chicago!

just msg'd you back.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:41 AM

355 posts, read 1,402,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
You may not last long here, with that outlook! You may come here, only to leave, saying, "I never knew they had tornadoes, windstorms, hailstorms, etc."
tornados are very rare in denver ....east of denver maybe not so much

Old 10-30-2007, 10:42 AM

I have lived here 27 yrs, I have seen a few good ones. And there are warnings every year. I live in Boulder County.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:45 AM

237 posts, read 1,079,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
I think you're taking my comments too literally. But, I don't base the pleasure of living in a particular city solely on its weather conditions.

If a person were to focus only on what could go wrong when moving to Denver (or anywhere else) they'd scare the living poo out of themselves! And probably never venture over the county line! But, then they'd also miss out on adventure, a chance at something wonderful.

Besides, I've gotten through plenty of tropical storms/hurricanes in FL, tornadoes and blizzards in WI, and enough road rage driving between the two. Not everything that Mother Nature is capable of dishing out, I understand. But, I'm tough.

I was really just concerned about whether to fill the 2 ft by 2 ft of trunk space in my hatchback with long-johns or flip-flops.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Averie-Jay View Post
I think you're taking my comments too literally. But, I don't base the pleasure of living in a particular city solely on its weather conditions.

If a person were to focus only on what could go wrong when moving to Denver (or anywhere else) they'd scare the living poo out of themselves! And probably never venture over the county line! But, then they'd also miss out on adventure, a chance at something wonderful.

Besides, I've gotten through plenty of tropical storms/hurricanes in FL, tornadoes and blizzards in WI, and enough road rage driving between the two. Not everything that Mother Nature is capable of dishing out, I understand. But, I'm tough.

I was really just concerned about whether to fill the 2 ft by 2 ft of trunk space in my hatchback with long-johns or flip-flops.
I hope you don't take mine to sound too much like a mother. Fill your trunk with winter clothing. You can get some more flip-flops here. They will be in the stores by February.

Old 10-30-2007, 02:26 PM

Pittnurse - Gosh, there's nothing wrong with sounding too much like a mother! Unfortuantely, my mom died when I was 14, and the rest of my family is comprised of men who aren't exactly...nurturing. (Still love 'em, naturally.)

The common phrase from my my family (meant well) is "Averie, you're being altogether too unrealistic". Drives a girl to distraction! (So I apologize for any hostility!).

Anyway, all mothering welcome!!

Also, I appreciate your suggestions. I don't have a winter coat, and the selection of warm coats (discovered this week) is horribly slim. But, I found a few sweaters that I can layer until I go shopping @ FlatIrons & Park Meadows (they look like the most beautiful malls I'll have ever seen). I can't wait to see that playground where the kids go down the bacon slide and wind up in the yoke.

I did buy 10 pairs of socks last weekend, though. I wasn't sure if I'd need to, but from what you've said & the other posters' comments, I think socks are an immediate concern. There's nothing worse than cold toes!

Old 10-30-2007, 02:31 PM

You will need socks, yes. And I am a mom, of two young adults, who always tell me to keep my opinions to myself re: clothes, hair, health care, etc. I tell them to let me be a mom and ignore me if they want!

PS: My condolences on the loss of your mom. I have a rose bush in front of my house that my co-workers gave me when my mom died (I was in my 40s), and I have a little yard-decoration angel beside it to remind me of her. I miss her, as I'm sure you miss your mom.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 10-30-2007 at 02:35 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 10-30-2007, 02:44 PM

It would be impossible for a girl (no matter what age) not to miss her mom. I've been blessed with her character, though, and I'm as spirited, adventurous, & stubborn as she was! I only have to look in the mirror to be reminded of her.

And, geesh, what's the point of having opinions if you keep them to yourself?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver