Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 02:45 PM

237 posts, read 1,081,388 times

Advertisements

I'm absolutely thrilled to be moving to Denver in 1.5 weeks.

The trouble is I've heard different weather descriptions on this board. I'm not a person expecting perfect weather or anything like that, but I've never experienced a "dry" climate. I've been in Florida for the past 2 years where it's hot & humid (even now in the end of Oct it's been 90 degrees almost every day). I originally grew up in Wisconsin, so I have "snow experience", but it's been a while!

I know what the temperatures are, I've been watching the weather in Denver closely, but because of the drier air, etc., I'm not sure if I should rely on those numbers alone - besides, I'm not sure I can comprehend 60 degrees right now when where I live hasn't gone below 85 in months!!

Should I bring a winter coat? What are the citizens of Denver wearing right now? Should I be concerned with boots/socks? (Both of which I haven't owned in 2 years!)

Any advice is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2007, 02:52 PM

9 posts, read 37,690 times
Default Weather

Well, lets see. As I reply to your post, im sitting outside with my laptop, short sleve shirt and jeans. It is a beautiful October day, in the mid 60's, which you will soon get used to if you live here for any amount of time. If you are from FL, you may find it a bit chilly at first, so a light sweater or jacket might be appropirate.

I think you will find out climate very sweet, with the occasional storm that quickly melts off.

Well there I go again, giving away our little Secret about very nice weather, 300+days of sun, etc. etc.

Congrats on your move.

Old 10-26-2007, 03:00 PM

Thanks for the tip, relocationexprt. Sitting outside & 60 degrees - My Floridian self can only think "Brrr...Chilly!"

I'll hold off on the scarves & mittens for now, but I'll pack some sweaters. I've actually missed being able to wear them, so it's going to be a treat.

Old 10-26-2007, 03:05 PM

9 posts, read 37,690 times
You bet, have a great trip! and actually it is supposed to get a bit colder this weekend. And winter is here so pack for any condition.

Old 10-26-2007, 03:06 PM

I will pack generously, but I have a tiny little hatchback...There's only so much that will fit!!

Old 10-26-2007, 03:12 PM

355 posts, read 1,404,351 times
lol im moving to denver in 1.5 weeks too also coming from florida

Old 10-26-2007, 03:44 PM

456 posts, read 1,576,972 times
Talk about erratic weather here. I'm from Chicago and thought I'd seen it all. It snowed last Sunday and was in the high 70's two days later. It was a high of 80 yesterday and today is bright, sunny, and in the 60's. Very pleasant. you will love it here-NO humidity and bring your nicest pair of sunglasses-you will need them here!!!

Welcome to Denver!

Old 10-26-2007, 03:58 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Mostly summer, but year round we urge you to bring sunglasses, sunscreen, water, lip balm, hats for sunshade. Lots of water, especially first few days, else you may feel some effects or dizziness. But 99% of people do just fine.

Sun is VERY warming at this elevation. Even at 45 degrees, sun is warm, short sleeves are fine for most folks. After sundown, or if windy, long sleeves or light jacket.

Old 10-26-2007, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoRuMRideR420 View Post
lol im moving to denver in 1.5 weeks too also coming from florida
Whereabouts? I'm in the Jacksonville area and we've had abnormally high temps for this time of year, and horrible humidity. The Red Tide has finally gone away, however, and that's something to be thankful for.

What route are you taking to get to Denver? I-40 seems the best way. I'm leaving on Friday afternoon, everyone tells me that getting past Tenneessee by the end of the weekend is imperative. Memphis & Nashville are the toughest spots in terms of traffic congestion and getting potentially "off course", according to a former Denverite who's made the trip before.

Have you made this trip before? I haven't, my longest road trip had been, to date, 45 minutes long!

Old 10-26-2007, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katmoney View Post
Talk about erratic weather here. I'm from Chicago and thought I'd seen it all. It snowed last Sunday and was in the high 70's two days later. It was a high of 80 yesterday and today is bright, sunny, and in the 60's. Very pleasant. you will love it here-NO humidity and bring your nicest pair of sunglasses-you will need them here!!!

Welcome to Denver!
Thank you for the welcome! I'm very excited about the no humidity part - though I can't imagine what it's going to feel like.

I grew up in Wisconsin, and as a fellow Mid-Westerner I'm prepared for the snow & ice part. But it's been a while and I think it'll take a few storms to get my "Snow Legs" back!

I've heard about the erratic weather, which is why I'm struggling with what to pack. After living in FL for the past 2 years, I've long ago gotten rid of socks/boots/winter coat. I'm pretty much starting from scratch. I'm buying socks this weekend - I've missed them so much! I've been in flip-flops and sandals almost every day since moving here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver