Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 05:10 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,559,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
The neighborhood with the highest per capita murder rate last year in Denver was: Belcaro.
Belcaro is one the top 5 highest-priced neighborhoods.
Belcaro is considered very fancy.
Statistics do not mean everything even when 5 people are brutally murdered.
My parents are building a house there! I'll tell them to cancel the build right away!

As for the OP, I would second the opinion of having you come out and check out the area. Denver is not a scary city. There are options if she want to be in West Wash Park and take the bus up Lincoln. This would be pretty easy and only take a few minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 05:13 PM

14 posts, read 16,770 times
Ok let me ask this another way. What would be the safest neighborhood to live in within a 20 minute mass transit commute from the art district on Santa Fe? It would have to be a walkable neighborhood for a teen age girl.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by judydelo1 View Post
Ok let me ask this another way. What would be the safest neighborhood to live in within a 20 minute mass transit commute from the art district on Santa Fe? It would have to be a walkable neighborhood for a teen age girl.
The light rail stop at 10th and Osage is less than a half mile walk from where she needs to be on Santa Fe so I think that anything on that light rail line will work. West Wash Park, Baker, or something north of there in downtown would work. All very safe and pretty walkable. Denver is more bikeable than walkable for the most part. I will warn you that she's probably going to want a car after living here for a little bit.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:48 PM

What about LoDo? Would this be an appropriate neighborhood given the circumstances?

Old 04-08-2013, 07:02 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Default I would

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
My parents are building a house there! I'll tell them to cancel the build right away!
I would.
After 24 years of living in Belcaro (Bonnie Brae and not the "real" Belcaro of Belcaro Park), I escaped to the safety of Berkeley in Denver.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:06 PM

Quote:
What about LoDo? Would this be an appropriate neighborhood given the circumstances?
I would be more worried about 23 year old fraternity guys who just graduated than than I would about crime if I had an 18 year old daughter living in LoDo.

Just a thought, but it may be hard for her to not feel socially isolated coming it a new city at such a young age. Does the ballet have anyone she can room with who is already here? Might be a better situation.

Quote:
I would.
After 24 years of living in Belcaro (Bonnie Brae and not the "real" Belcaro of Belcaro Park), I escaped to the safety of Berkeley in Denver.
Never going to happen. It's too close to their favorite ice cream store.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:11 PM

Default Little Man Ice Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Never going to happen. It's too close to their favorite ice cream store.
Bonnie Brae Ice Cream is my father's favorite ice cream store also. (And, it was one of the reasons we moved to BB in 1987.)
The murder rate in Highland is lower than Belcaro and Highland has Little Man Ice Cream. It is very good.
(Maybe the OP's should move next to one of these ice cream emporia so she can can gorge herself and flunk out of the ballet company?)

Old 04-08-2013, 07:16 PM

Yes she'll room with another 18 year old female dancer that she has known for several years. They would both be relocating to Denver for the first time.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:21 PM

Default Well, that should protect her from

Quote:
Yes she'll room with another 18 year old female dancer that she has known for several years. They would both be relocating to Denver for the first time.
the "23 year old fraternity guys who just graduated" if you know what I mean.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Bonnie Brae Ice Cream is my father's favorite ice cream store also. (And, it was one of the reasons we moved to BB in 1987.)
The murder rate in Highland is lower than Belcaro and Highland has Little Man Ice Cream. It is very good.
(Maybe the OP's should move next to one of these ice cream emporia so she can can gorge herself and flunk out of the ballet company?)
Little Man is not bad, but it's not Bonnie Brae.

Quote:
That's great. In that case, hopefully they can look out for each other. LoDo would be the most fun, but full of a lot of distractions. West Wash Park is probably the "safest" area nearby, but as mentioned before most of the crime is theft and burglary. West Wash Park has a Whole Foods and a bunch of restaurants in walking distance, but LoDo is absolutely more walkable in general....although I'm not sure what people there are doing for a grocery store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver