Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 01:37 PM

638 posts, read 2,280,260 times

Advertisements

Marie, I guess I need a new cell phone. She doesnt talk to me! I have to think all by myself!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 01:39 PM

638 posts, read 2,280,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie_co View Post
Great read pittnurse, I have tried to erase the fact that Colorado had a large KKK membership from my memory. What an awful legacy for our great State. I also tried hard to forget about Amendment 22. I was a senior in highschool and couldn't vote yet. I begged my parents to vote against that stupid thing (which I am very proud to report that they did) I was shocked that our state was so hateful to pass such an ugly law.

Did you know that Indian Hills is still the KKK regional headquarters? I don't know exactly what building, or more likely home, they operate out of but there are still active KKK members.

Morningglory - God doesn't hate homosexuals or anyone else for that matter, I would be willing to bet that she is getting sick of all these right wing radicals using her name to defend their own hatred and fear. At least that is what she told me the last time we spoke
As in Indian Hills near Evergreen? Really? I thought the only one was out of Canon City.

Old 11-07-2007, 04:06 PM

63 posts, read 487,958 times
well some say I only hear her because I don't take my meds on a regular basis

Yep, the Indian Hills near Evergreen. Creep me out.

Old 11-07-2007, 06:27 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Thanks guys, glad you liked the update on Colorado history. Every place has skeletons in the closet.

Old 11-08-2007, 02:40 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,288,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
Unfortunately, it is not true that Denver/Colorado has always been tolerant. I was here when the anti-gay Amendment Whatever passed, earning Colorado the nickname "the hate state". That was no more than 10 - 15 yrs ago. It was strick down by the Supreme Court.

Colorado has a long history of hostility to outsiders, especially Hispanics. The Ku Klux Klan was very popular here in the 1920s and controlled the state legislature. Sometimes that gets written up to make it sound like they just took over the legislature, but they were elected. Their focus in CO was anti-Catholic (like everywhere) and anti-Hispanic. Lafayette had a separate swimming pool for Hispanics, back in the day.

That said, I think CO is a very tolerant place now (for the most part), and doesn't seem to be nearly so stratified as some eastern and midwestern cities where "what are you?", meaning your "nationality" (sic), Polish, Italian, etc. is a common question. Though old time Italians here talk of discrimination, too. Hopefully, it is all a thing of the past.
the KKK story of colorado IS interesting. and I hadn't heard about an "antigay" amendment (beyond recent leg. concerning marriage). and that was only 10 or so years ago!?!

as far as the "tolerant", to me it just seems like there's more a lack of exposure to some of the less usual you can find in many other cities or parts of the country in a lot of people, so more people are more easily surprised or perplexed by things that are different from their "norm". it can wind up feeling like a bit of a glass curtain - you don't see it, but it can be tough to penetrate. and i have spoken with plenty of "minorities" (asian, black, etc.) that joke about how sort of "puritanically white bread 2 kids and 2 car garage" it feels for them in the area. even i feel some of that (more of the skeptical glass curtain), and i'm white bread and straight. but i personally think it can feel more 'indifferent' than overtly negative.

Old 11-08-2007, 03:38 PM

676 posts, read 2,795,978 times
Indian Hills is such a weird hole in the wall place anyways. It wouldn't surprise me.

Old 11-08-2007, 03:47 PM

63 posts, read 487,958 times
It is a stange area. My mom and I had a long running joke about mountain weirdos. There were a bunch by the Brook Forest Inn as well. Hell, I have to admit that after being up in the hills for so long I am sure that many consider me a mountain weirdo

Old 11-08-2007, 06:32 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
the KKK story of colorado IS interesting. and I hadn't heard about an "antigay" amendment (beyond recent leg. concerning marriage). and that was only 10 or so years ago!?!

Court rejects Colorado's antigay amendment Christian Century - Find Articles

Passed in 1992, struck down by the US Supreme Court in 1996. Not Colorado's finest hour.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:48 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,288,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post

Court rejects Colorado's antigay amendment Christian Century - Find Articles

Passed in 1992, struck down by the US Supreme Court in 1996. Not Colorado's finest hour.
nice. COLORado. but it's so BEAUTIful. the good with the bad (depending on who you are), i guess.

Old 02-01-2008, 11:37 AM

1,371 posts, read 3,696,911 times
I know this is late to the conversation, but I will state that I am also gay and a native of Denver. I've always been here and I will always be here.

I feel Denver is very open-minded, as a whole, on the topic of gay relationships. You will have pockets of more conservative individuals here and there, but it is not a city filled with hatred and anger towards gays. Colorado, on the other hand, is rather conservative, but the original post was more specific about Denver.

Denver has one of the largest gay pride festivals in the country, although the past few years have seen fewer numbers than in the late '90s to around 2002. I believe it was in 2001 when updwards of 300,000 people participated. It was incredibly inspiring for those of us who feel as though we are "minorities".

While some companies may not extend same-sex benefits to their employees, I will note that an ever-increasing number of companies are changing these policies. I work for a company that offers the same benefits for any couple, regardless of sexual orientation (and has for many years). I am also fortunate in that my insurance company (auto and life) extends the same benefits to me and my partner as they would to a married couple.

Steps still need to be taken to ensure equal rights for all, but Denver, and really the entire country, continues to take steps in this direction. As a gay man, I am personally proud of the direction the country is heading as it relates to this topic. No, things are not perfect, but I'm extremely happy and look forward to the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver