Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 12:51 AM

320 posts, read 934,197 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
So my friends and I are celebrating our buddy’s Bachelor Party in Denver and we are all big micro brew and craft brew fans so our plan is to basically check out as many Denver area breweries as we can over the course of 3 days. We will be staying in downtown Denver and renting a van to get around (and hiring a DD service to be safe!).

On Saturday our plan is already set to see Grimm Brothers,Odell's, New Belgium, Left Hand, Funkworks, and Black Bottle.

Sunday for sure is open, and so is Friday afternoon for the most part.

So I’m hoping that some of you can give us some good recommendations for Breweries that are worth visiting, and any that may have their own guided tours and tastings especially?

Any advice as to what is close together geographically is great info too.

I have a phone app that lists area breweries, but just going by that could be a major pain in the but. I hate to go out of our way to get to one that is just a hole in the wall with only a few kinds of beer.

I would really appreciate any recommendations you guys have.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 01:52 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,441,320 times
It depends on how beer geeky you guys are. There are now 22 breweries within the Denver City limits. This does not include the suburbs where there are many more.

Downtown you can hit Great Divide's tap room. All beer, no food. They have some terrific beer offerings, but not a huge variety. What they do, they do very well.

Wynkoop is also downtown and has a very wide variety and a full restaurant. I think some of their beer is very good, some is pretty average.

Falling Rock Tap House , also downtown, it's not a brewery, but has one of the most interesting beer lists in the state which is saying something. Worth checking out.

(Just) Outside of downtown:

Crooked Stave: if you are really in to Brett beer this is a must stop. They will only have 4 or 5 beers on tap, and it is a hole in the wall brewery feel, but they are making some of the more interesting beers in the country in my opinion. Everything is done with wild yeast so if you are not in to sours don't go. Everything is also fermented in oak.

Breckenridge: pretty good beer and pretty good BBQ

Prost: All German style beers. Cool tap room. The Dunkel is awesome. World class even.

Our Mutual Friend: Cool vibe and solid beer

Trve: Heavy Metal meets craft beer. The IPA is their best beer and I'm not a huge IPA guy. Be prepared to rock.

Here is a good guide of breweries in the city:

http://www.5280.com/magazine/2013/02...brewing-denver

If you are going to Boulder you must stop at Avery.

Have fun!

Old 04-18-2013, 09:26 AM

975 posts, read 1,316,901 times
There's also Renegade Brewing and Strange Brewing. Both are close to Breckenridge Brewing (which does guided tours) and and Strange does some interesting stuff to say the least. Denver Brewery should also be on your list.

If you want to go a little heavier I'd also suggest the Stranahan's Whiskey distillery tour and tasting. Leopold Brothers distillery tour and tasting is another good experience though I believe that they are in the midst of a relocation and expansion.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:56 PM

320 posts, read 934,197 times
Thanks guys!

I've been looking into it further and decided that Sun we will hit Coors Brewery and the other Golden Breweries first, and then try to get up to Boulder for a few hours too. Besides Avery, if you had to pick 2 or 3 other breweries there to visit what would they be?

Old 04-18-2013, 09:19 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,441,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Further North View Post
Thanks guys!

I've been looking into it further and decided that Sun we will hit Coors Brewery and the other Golden Breweries first, and then try to get up to Boulder for a few hours too. Besides Avery, if you had to pick 2 or 3 other breweries there to visit what would they be?
Boulder Beer
Mountain Sun for food, beer and hippies
Upslope
Twisted Pine

Old 04-18-2013, 09:22 PM

17,670 posts, read 29,550,848 times
Default Reduce your driving

and get good eating.
Hops and Pie.
Will have its own brewery in 6 months.

Last edited by davebarnes; 04-18-2013 at 09:34 PM..

Old 04-18-2013, 09:26 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,664,665 times
Check out a website called "fermentedly challenged.com"

They have maps, reviews and special events.

How/where do you hire a DD?

At the moment Golden just has two, Golden City Brewery and Cannonball Creek Brewery.

Plus there is that other little one down by the creek.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:23 PM

39 posts, read 46,898 times
Definitely skip Odell's. Their tour is fairly lame. And I don't know what the other "breweries" plural there are in Golden; the second-largest brewery as I understand is Golden City Brewery, which is TOTALLY worth going to, but there's no tour. There's not really even a place...more like a big patio in the sun with a window through which you order your beer. Which is amazing!

I also recommend either of the Southern Sun locations, whether in Boulder or at Vine St. in Denver. Great beer, good food, and super cheap.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:47 PM

26,116 posts, read 48,712,075 times
Guys....the "other" brewery is Coors.....had a few of their's in my time....
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-18-2013, 11:10 PM

556 posts, read 1,195,195 times
Forget Coors. The tour is lame and the beer is the same you can get anywhere in the country.

In Denver, I would focus on breweries neighborhood by neighborhood-

RINO and North Denver have the highest concentration of breweries within a few blocks of each other-
Great Divide
River North
Our Mutual Friend
Black Shirt
Crooked Stave
Caution Brewery
You will also be close to Prost, Hogshead, Denver Beer Company and Wynkoop if you can stomach any more.

The next day, head south of downtown to-
Renegade
Strange Brewery
Wit's End
Colorado Cider Company
Breckenridge Brewery
Trve Brewery

For day 3, head even further south-
Bush and Bull
Copper Kettle
Dry Dock

Most of these breweries do not give formal "tours" but they will be happy to take you in back and show you around.

Boulder and Fort Collins have an amazing beer scene as well, but you can keep yourself plenty busy in Denver for 3 days.

Last edited by woob; 04-18-2013 at 11:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver