Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2006, 07:40 PM

1 posts, read 7,142 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Denver from Seattle next July and I'm wondering if anyone in this forum has made the same move. I love Seattle but want to move closer to family in Colorado Springs and Denver seems somewhat comparable to the city living I'm used to.

I live (rent) in a very safe Seattle neighborhood (Ballard) about 20 minutes from downtown that has everything you need either a walk or bus ride away (movie theaters, grocery stores, coffee shops, restaurant/bars, etc). The neighborhood is safe enough to walk around day or night (within reason of course). I'm also looking for a neighborhood with a good mix of young/old but preferably on the younger/single side (I'm in my early thirties & single).

Is there a neighborhood in Denver that comes close to this?

I'm hoping to get a job in the downtown area so I can take public transportation. I don't currently have a car and would like to go as long as I can without one.

Sorry to be so longwinded but the more info the better right? Any ideas/input would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited by alainnamo; 10-08-2006 at 07:59 PM.. Reason: found in correct forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2006, 08:27 PM

11,813 posts, read 34,270,988 times
there are lots of neighborhoods that fill that bill; Lowry, Stapleton, Highlands, Wash Park, LoDo...

Old 11-07-2006, 11:40 PM

15 posts, read 83,127 times
Default Hi

If you don't have a car, it is a bit tough to get around Denver, because it is extremly spread out. The best thing is to live in Denver proper rather than any of the suburbs. Capital Hill has allot of young people but also is a high crime area. The north end of Washington Park is a great place to live, lots of young people and safe. That is the north end.

Old 11-09-2006, 12:06 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,344,256 times
I think it is very easy to get around Denver without a car; it has a great bus and train system---and you are in luck, a new and the largest expansion of the light rail system is going to open on Nov. 19, 2006. This new line, from the south and southeast will connect to downtown. Check out the Regional Transportation District home page for info: http://www.rtd-denver.com/. It will include new buses and new call and ride, from your home, to the rail stations. This is a big project and has been planned for many years called T-Rex.

In addition voters have approved a even more significant improvement to the transportation system which is planned to open in about 12-15 years. It will be rail expansion on the west, north, northwest and to the airport. It is called Fastracks.

There are many good new areas for the young single around these new stations with new apartments and condos built and planned for transit oriented development. I would suggest areas around the Denver Tech Center south to lone tree for exciting new areas or older developed areas along the light rail to the north . Also Denver Downtown is resurgent with new housing and entertainment.

I have been in for 27 years and I came from New York by way of Texas. Not only does Denver have a great transportation system but it extends very far out to the suburbs, Boulder, Longmont etc. As I get older, I do not like to drive, as much, and I use the public transportation frequently.

Old 11-09-2006, 10:55 AM

15 posts, read 103,990 times
Default Belmar in Lakewood

I would suggest checking out the Belmar area in Lakewood www.belmarcolorado.com. Zip 80226. I am a native of Co and have lived all over metro-Denver and am also 30's/single. I just moved into The Falls in Belmar and finally feel like I'm home. I would not suggest moving to Capitol Hill if you are used to a safe area in Seattle. Also, I work downtown and take public transportation and have no problem. There is a bus station right in Belmar and also several small bus stops all around. This area has everything you mentioned (and more) within walking distance. It is a hip-urban area that has loft/condo/apt complexes and lofts-over-retail. It is all new (re-developed space where shopping mall used to be). It has a pretty good mix of young professionals and retired folks. It is surrounded by establised residential neighborhoods and is very safe in my opinion. Check it out. Hope this helps.

Old 11-09-2006, 11:06 AM

56 posts, read 196,796 times
i live in the highlands... i'm 27, not married, no chirrens... best 'hood EVER!

Old 01-20-2009, 05:07 PM

1 posts, read 6,026 times
I am about to make the same move! This post was from LONG ago, but maybe it'll notify you!? Was it a good decision to move or do you regret it!? I LOVE Seattle, but family in in CO and SD...this is one of the hardest decisions I've ever had to make and can't seem to decide what's right...just curious how it turned out for you!?!

Old 01-20-2009, 05:43 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,466,131 times
The closest thing Denver has to Ballard is South Broadway near the Baker Neighborhood or east of there.

Capitol Hill is similar in both towns; with Denvers Capitol Hill having a bit more Belltown in it; especially once you cross Colfax and are into uptown.

The Highlands is nice (if you can overlook the highway in the way). It's kind of the place people move from Capitol Hill to in their mid to late twenties and acquire dogs before they move again after they have kids.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:33 PM

795 posts, read 2,402,428 times
Uptown is nice and seems to have affordable places (N cap hill). Cap hill is trendy and the crime there is more petty than anything. Forget LoDo unless you got the paper. LoDo is the coolest though and has good foot traffic most days of the week. All these hoods are easily walkable to the CBD.

Old 06-29-2009, 06:17 PM

2 posts, read 7,513 times
Looks like you got a lot of good info., we moved to Broomfield (north of Denver) from Puyallup last winter and we absolutely love the Denver area. The weather is superb, there is a tremendous amount of open space (parks, trails, hikes) throughout the region and great small towns like Boulder. We will be moving some more items from Puyallup to Denver on or about July 17th, so if you need to ride/moving truck share let me know. [email]stevenanderson9276@msn.com[/email] best wishes with your move, you will love Colorado.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver