Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2013, 05:48 AM

61 posts, read 84,729 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

This is my first post....yup I'm a newbie.

I'm relocating from Houston, TX to work in my company's downtown Denver office. I'll be in furnished corporate housing for the first 3 months...hopefully near the office. I've asked to be able to take the mall shuttle bus to work.

I've started googling housing in Denver and of course, was shocked at the prices!! Housing in Houston is quite low in comparison.

A lot of the time when I come across something with what I think is a "normal" rental rate or selling price, it usually says "income restrictions apply" which I assume means something like Section 8. But, does this mean that no one else need apply? Or is this usually only for a certain number of units?

If anyone can apply, is the same rental rate/selling price applicable to all? Or do those of us that make more than the income limits have to pay a much higher rental or for sale price?

Thanks.
bje333
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 07:18 AM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Default Welcome to Denver

What are your
rental
purchase
budgets?

Old 05-17-2013, 08:21 AM

459 posts, read 807,487 times
Income restricted housing usually means they got tax breaks to have those units income restricted with lease rates below market. So they need to lease those units out to people in those income ranges. In my experience a majority of those buildings do have normal units for rent within the same building, but of course the non income restricted cost more to lease.

The sun belt (outside of LA), and the rust belt (outside of Chicago) have some of the lowest housing prices in both the US and the 1st world. Unless you are moving to Detroit, OKC, Wichita, Atlanta etc you are going to see some sticker shock.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:20 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,104,160 times
I pay "normal price" for my apartment, but I live in a building where I know some people pay less. I remember filling out my application the office manager told me there is reduced rent if you make under a certain amount, but you can still live there if you make more. You just have to pay the full price. I think it was under 30K a year, but I honestly can't remember. I pay 975 going up to 985 in a month. I live off of Park Avenue about a mile or so from my office right in downtown. I think it's a lot...but it's actually pretty cheap compared to a lot of other places I looked at downtown. When I first moved to CO I lived in a northern suburb and paid 170 a month for garage parking plus gas and wear and tear on my car of course. At least now I can walk which is nice.

What is your budget?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: