U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2013, 09:53 PM

3 posts, read 4,282 times

Advertisements

As far as Nightlife/breweries go, we'll browse around some popular locations, where would you suggest? What have I left out?

Saturday:

Breakfast at Snooze
Rafting + Ziplining at AVA
Drive to Mount Evans around 5 PM from Idaho Springs. Catch the late evening at the summit.
Eat at the Cherry Cricket at night
Little Man Ice cream

Sunday:

Eat at Jack N Grill for breakfast
RMNP in a day (online itinerary) from 9 AM - 5 PM
(Drive Trail Ridge Road since it is now open)
Buckhorn Exchange for dinner
D-bar Dessert

Monday:

Head to the Red Rocks area in the morning;
back to Denver in the afternoon to browse and explore the downtown area/attractions. Can I walk around from a central location to a few attractions?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 10:19 PM
Status: "Looking forward to President Harris" (set 18 days ago)

15,605 posts, read 23,468,781 times
Default Some recommendations

Elways has a better burger. More expensive, but way better. Park Burger has a better burger.
I love Little Man, but Bonnie Brae Ice Cream is more convenient.
La Fuente has a much better breakfast burrito and it is not as big as your entire body.
The Buckhorn is just not good and is overpriced. Rioja. Jennifer just won a James Beard Award.
D-bar is awesome. I would eat my entire meal there.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:31 PM

10,736 posts, read 8,616,101 times
I like day 1, but Bonnie Brae Ice Cream is not only more convenient to your dinner location, it is better than Little Man. Top 10 in the country according to People Magazine and USA Today. I think they also have just about every best of Denver award hanging in that shop. (Disclaimer: I know the owners, but subjectively I still think its the best)

Make sure you get an early start at Snooze so you can get to rafting in time. The waits on the weekend at Snooze can easily go over an hour for a table. That place is amazing. Get a pineapple upside down pancake to split in addition to what you order.

I agree with Dave on day 2. I would check out The Kitchen, Linger, Euclid Hall or Rioja (wife is at Rioja tonight actually) over Buckhorn. Buckhorn is one of a kind, but unless you are really wanting to try game meat, there are far better restaurants in Denver.

As for breweries, in the immediate downtown area, you could hit Great Divide (tasting room only), Wynkoop (full restaurant), and River North (tasting room only) and all are within walking distance of each other. The Falling Rock Taphouse is a world class beer bar, but not a brewery. 1Up is a fun bar with a bunch of 80's and 90's arcade games. LoDo's is a meat market, but good for people watching. Illegal Pete's is a good stop for a late night burrito and margarita. Two Fisted Mario's is a good stop for a greasy late night slice of pizza.

There is a free shuttle bus on the 16th street mall downtown so it is very easy to explore on foot.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:55 PM

473 posts, read 744,704 times
That's a lot of stuff on Saturday. Plus Mt Evans is a challenging drive.

I'd put Sunday's itin (RMNP) on Monday. You'd avoid RMNP weekend crowds and traffic. And have a down day between your commute to mountains and back. I looked at the "RMNP in a day" itin and it would be definitely better served on a weekday. Less chance at least of staring at the back of on RV the entire time.

Do your "Denver" day on Sunday: Parks are more lively, less city traffic, downtown festival depending on weekend (i.e. Taste of Colorado, Cherry Creek Arts Fest), neighborhood block fests (like Pearl Street) and farmer's markets everywhere, And, like other cities some attractions are closed on Mondays (Art Museum etc).

I'd skip Red Rocks. (Unless it's something you had your heart set on.) It's beautiful, but you're already doing rivers, mountains, vistas, mountain towns, etc.. You'll get spectacular views and sunset from Mt. Evans. Plus Red Rocks is better in evening/night. You could make it an alternative in case a summer storm nixes your plans to Mt. Evans. (barring a concert).

Also not sure of your activity level but it's a lot of "car time" driving back and forth to mountains, and running around Denver to get to reservations on time. (Many of which are popular places in busy parking challenged neighborhoods)

Basically I'd eschew some of the RMNP itin items for a longer experience at each one, and switch Sunday/Monday.

Just my 2 cents. Have a good time. and good suggestions above too.

Last edited by jamesdenver; 05-21-2013 at 11:03 PM..

Old 05-21-2013, 11:09 PM

473 posts, read 744,704 times
oh - and complimenting the others' good alternative restaurant suggestions above:

Forget Snooze on Saturday if you have rafting reservations. Not worth the price if you're watching the clock and gobbling down carbs. Instead drive straight to Idaho Springs and get a hearty breakfast at Marion's of the Rockies. Great family run diner that's been around for years. Friendly staff, locals, and huge breakfasts. First Idaho Springs exit in the left.

Use the money you save there (and dig for some more) to go to Fruition on Sunday. One of the top restaurants in Denver with their own farm out east.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:48 PM

229 posts, read 382,085 times
For Breakfast, Jelly is much better than snooze in my opinion. There's one near DU off Evans that isn't too long a wait if you get there before 10am. For the ice cream I am gonna vote Sweet Action on south broadway. Sorry SkyDog, we agree on a lot of things but this is where we diverge , sweet action blows the socks off Bonnie Brae. Bonnie Brae is a Denver staple but honestly their ice cream is a bit generic in my opinion and the flavors are what you'd see at any mom/pop ice cream shop in any american city. If you want unique and amazing, local flair, sweet action is the way to go...the flavors just seem to have more "pop" just beware you will be in hipster-ville. Little man is a very close second but yes, the location is a bit inconvenient and most nights the line is around the corner so you'll wait a long time. I also agree, Park Burger is better than the Cricket. D-Bar-absolutely...... phenomenal! I'd also skip the Buckhorn, cool atmosphere but the food isn't that good. I agree with SkyDog on this, with so many great restaurants in town now, I'd opt for Root Down, Euclid Hall, Linger, Bittersweet, Fruition, etc.

Old 05-22-2013, 12:39 AM

1,123 posts, read 2,684,629 times
Cricket is awesome.
Lucille's > Snooze and surprisingly has a less wait time.
Buckhorn: solid gimmick if you've never done it, but generally the food is not worth the high cost.
D-bar = overrated and no seating. And, after Buckhorn, you're going to be full.
Red Rocks + Coors Tour
Mount Evans and Trail Ridge are very similar drives. Just do one and spend time on something else.
Never been to Little Man, but Sweet Action and Bonnie Brae are both great. Sweet Action has more unique flavors.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:11 AM

9,348 posts, read 6,131,285 times
when you're in downtown Denver, make sure to hit 16th street.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:49 AM

10,736 posts, read 8,616,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdenver View Post
That's a lot of stuff on Saturday. Plus Mt Evans is a challenging drive.

I'd put Sunday's itin (RMNP) on Monday. You'd avoid RMNP weekend crowds and traffic. And have a down day between your commute to mountains and back. I looked at the "RMNP in a day" itin and it would be definitely better served on a weekday. Less chance at least of staring at the back of on RV the entire time.

Do your "Denver" day on Sunday: Parks are more lively, less city traffic, downtown festival depending on weekend (i.e. Taste of Colorado, Cherry Creek Arts Fest), neighborhood block fests (like Pearl Street) and farmer's markets everywhere, And, like other cities some attractions are closed on Mondays (Art Museum etc).
I agree with this generally, but since Monday is a holiday, you will be fine.

It also sounds like the Mt. Evans road may not be open this weekend.

Check out Wash Park if you get a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Co_guy_94 View Post
For Breakfast, Jelly is much better than snooze in my opinion. There's one near DU off Evans that isn't too long a wait if you get there before 10am. For the ice cream I am gonna vote Sweet Action on south broadway. Sorry SkyDog, we agree on a lot of things but this is where we diverge , sweet action blows the socks off Bonnie Brae. Bonnie Brae is a Denver staple but honestly their ice cream is a bit generic in my opinion and the flavors are what you'd see at any mom/pop ice cream shop in any american city. If you want unique and amazing, local flair, sweet action is the way to go...the flavors just seem to have more "pop" just beware you will be in hipster-ville. Little man is a very close second but yes, the location is a bit inconvenient and most nights the line is around the corner so you'll wait a long time. I also agree, Park Burger is better than the Cricket. D-Bar-absolutely...... phenomenal! I'd also skip the Buckhorn, cool atmosphere but the food isn't that good. I agree with SkyDog on this, with so many great restaurants in town now, I'd opt for Root Down, Euclid Hall, Linger, Bittersweet, Fruition, etc.
I like Jelly also, but something about those pineapple upside down pancakes keep me going back to Snooze. As for the Sweet Action versus Bonnie Brae debate...... Sweet Action does have more far out there flavors, but do a vanilla versus vanilla comparison and Bonnie Brae is a much richer, better ice cream. My wife and i actually bought pints at both places and did this. I find Sweet Action to be kind of icy and I do go there a bit. I wouldn't say Bonnie Brae is completely generic. They have a lot of flavors that you would never see at Baskin Robbins.

I should add that I am not a Sweet Action hater. I wish Bonnie Brae did something like their Stranahan's Butter Brickle. Wen it comes to ice cream I am a bit of a purist and BB is the best.

Last edited by SkyDog77; 05-22-2013 at 10:16 AM..

Old 05-22-2013, 09:25 AM

105 posts, read 141,816 times
snooze and lucille's are both great breakfast options, and there's a few snooze locations so you might find a shorter wait if you call around before leaving. i think jelly is overrated.

bonnie brae and sweet action are both solid choices as well - go with whatever's easiest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver