Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2013, 09:36 AM

2 posts, read 2,763 times

Advertisements

There's lots of great info all over these forums for the single 20/30-something's who need to find housing that is small, walkable, etc., but our situation is at the opposite end of the demographic chart: My husband and I are mid-40's, he's an executive and I'm a work from home writer/consultant with 3 kids (one in college and 2 on their way in the next year). We live in a suburb just outside Cincinnati, OH (in Northern Kentucky) in a 5800 square foot home on an acre lot positioned in the suburbs between cattle and horse farms - in other words, lots of room and picturesque to say the least.

We love the ability to drive into Cincinnati (only about 15 minutes up I71/75); Fountain Square is gorgeous, safe and has LOTS going on all the time. Unfortunately, this area leaves much to be desired when it comes to the outdoors life - no mountains for climbing/hiking/biking, camping is on flat/forest-like areas, so we are driving 2 or more hours in any direction for any kind of outdoor activity with viewscapes with even hills in it. We plan to relocate somewhere between Colorado (mountains) and further west. My husband is a tech executive so he is courted by headhunters and could probably move anywhere in the country, but being close to mountains, canyons and views is where we want to eventually retire.

We would love to experience Urban life and highrise living for once - we have always lived in large homes in the country/suburbs and would appreciate the opportunity to actually walk somewhere - right now it's a 10 minute drive even to the nearest store which is rather close for these parts. The only thing is most of the largest apartments in downtown Denver seem to be only 2-bedroom, under 1200 sf. We would love 3-bedrooms so we can have room for the kids when they visit and we need to have designated office space for working from home.

Any suggestions on apartments in the downtown area that are larger with 3 or more bedrooms? We aren't rich or anything but we do pay over $2500 per month now on our mortgage payment so that or a little more is o.k. Also, I would love to find some brownstone-type condos/townhomes to lease that have that old Boston/New York feel, but I haven't seen anything like that in Denver - maybe I'm not looking in the right place. We have looked online at 1600 Glenarm Place and 2020 Lawrence - these seem close to what we are looking for but only 2-bedrooms, but they give us all the walkability and amenities we would like to have.

Thanks in advance for the help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 10:51 AM

26,162 posts, read 48,881,878 times
Denver isn't really my strong suit, but I've heard of new high-rise downtown near Union Station that may be what you seek, not sure of price though. That location puts you right in the midst of a very active area of town called LODO with tons of eats and things to do. There also are some existing highrises in that area.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:26 AM

17,693 posts, read 29,691,842 times
Default An idea

Highland
West Highland
Berkeley

Old 05-23-2013, 12:06 PM

136 posts, read 459,960 times
If you are looking for highrise living with 3 plus bedrooms you are going to have to increase your budget a bit, Denver while not nearly as expensive as coastal areas is more expensive than the midwest. For the space you seek, urban single family homes, or lofts might be a better bet than highrise apartments. Congress Park, Uptown, Highlands, and even areas a bit further out like Washington Park can provide convenient urban living in vibrant in town neighborhoods with many folks in your life demographic (mid career professionals). I would avoid the immediate Lodo area. It's a great place to visit for a Rockies game, but aside from Larimer Square, it caters more toward the bar-hopping mid 20's crowd. Are you looking to rent or buy? Be advised that both markets are extremely tight right now.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:17 PM

11,822 posts, read 34,355,412 times
interactive map About Denver - Your Guide to Denver Colorado Neighborhoods | VISIT DENVER of Denver neighborhoods.

Hubby might get a job in the DTC area, so looking a little southeast of the city center could work.

I would include Capitol Hill, Uptown, Golden Triangle....

Old 05-23-2013, 03:06 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,503,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
interactive map About Denver - Your Guide to Denver Colorado Neighborhoods | VISIT DENVER of Denver neighborhoods.

Hubby might get a job in the DTC area, so looking a little southeast of the city center could work.

I would include Capitol Hill, Uptown, Golden Triangle....

For a city produced neighborhood guide, that link is awful!

If he does get a job in DTC, Wash Park/Platt Park would be prime locations however 3 Bedrooms at that budget is going to be a little bit hard to come by. It is a very easy shot down I-25 via car or light rail to the tech center and these neighborhoods are very walkable with coffee shops, retail, groceries (more convenient on the West Side with Whole Foods) and bars. You could do a very cool old house that is completely remodeled in Platt Park for $400-$500K

Old 05-23-2013, 03:31 PM

459 posts, read 806,143 times
3 bedrooms in a mid-high rise is going to be tough to come by because they just do not have a large demand for more than 2 bedrooms in those types of buildings (at least in Denver where families do not typically live in high rises). For example the building I live in has close to 500 units and has only seven 3 bedroom units.

People living in high rises generally choose to live in less space in favor of location. Paying additional rent for a guest room doesn't make sense to most of us since we have so many hotels within walking distance, and it would just be cheaper to pay for guests to stay in those hotels (unless out of town guests come constantly). Carving out a piece of your dinning area for an office is usually not a big deal since you are not frequently entertaining at home. You are not entertaining in your unit because you have so many restaurants/bars nearby to meetup with other people, and generally you use the building common areas for larger social gatherings.

You might be able to find townhomes/brownstones/row-houses downtown or near downtown. Almost all of them will be individually owned though so they might be hard to find especially in this tight rental market. Here's one that MIGHT work for you https://www.padmapper.com/show.php?t...95495&src=main

Old 05-23-2013, 03:40 PM

17,693 posts, read 29,691,842 times
Default Not my City & County

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
For a city produced neighborhood guide, that link is awful!
Private company.
The City & County of Denver is DenverGov.org

Old 05-23-2013, 05:08 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,503,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Private company.
The City & County of Denver is DenverGov.org

That makes much more sense. Calling Old South Gaylord and Old South Pearl neighborhoods is a joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver