U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 07:04 PM

191 posts, read 468,567 times

Advertisements

I'll be relocating to Denver for work. I have friends and family in the highlands/lohi area. I like this area a lot as it's a nice compromise between getting downtown easily and out to the trail heads on Golden for bike rides.

Are there any other areas on the west side of the city that have a similar feel with a decent center like lohi/highlands?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 07:16 PM

16,893 posts, read 26,241,766 times
Default Knowledge is powerful.

1. There is no such neighborhood as "The Highlands". There is Highland and West Highland. (MOD EDIT: Thread title corrected, for accuracy.)
2. Lo-Hi is a made up term by real estate people. It used to mean the part of the Highland below 32nd Ave. They have expanded this trendy term all the way to 37-1/2 Ave. Disgusting.
3. Map. useful. http://www.denvergov.org/denvermaps/...ghborhoods.pdf
4. Jefferson, Highland, West Highland, Sloan's Lake, Berkeley, Sunnyside.
West Highland has 32nd & Lowell. Berkeley has Tennyson St. Sloan's has almost zero retail. Sunnyside has pockets of retail.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 05-29-2013 at 10:58 AM..

Old 05-28-2013, 07:32 PM

11,626 posts, read 32,324,132 times
Where is work? What is important to you in a community?

Old 05-28-2013, 08:00 PM

3,148 posts, read 5,655,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
1. There is no such neighborhood as "The Highlands". There is Highland and West Highland.
2. Lo-Hi is a made up term by real estate people. It used to mean the part of the Highland below 32nd Ave. They have expanded this trendy term all the way to 37-1/2 Ave. Disgusting.
3. Map. useful. http://www.denvergov.org/denvermaps/...ghborhoods.pdf
4. Jefferson, Highland, West Highland, Sloan's Lake, Berkeley, Sunnyside.
West Highland has 32nd & Lowell. Berkeley has Tennyson St. Sloan's has almost zero retail. Sunnyside has pockets of retail.
Unfortunately the need for marketers and hipsters to abbreviate everything into two syllable nicknames is a trend that cannot be killed.

LoDo was barely palatable, but then it really took off. Among the most annoying are: LoHi (lower highland), RiNo (river north), and SoBo (south broadway).

I have a hipster friend from the East Coast who uses these terms all the time, so whenever she uses one of these terms (or the term "the Highlands" for that matter), I just tell her I don't know where that is.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:13 PM

191 posts, read 468,567 times
1) My apologies for using improper terms. I know only what Craigslist and others say. I hear (and see) 'highlands' quite frequently despite it be incorrect.

2) Yes, hipsters are quite often annoying - but easy to make fun of so there's that.

3) I don't care who makes up names. Actually, I do . If real estate people use these terms and I'm in the real estate market, seems to me I'd like to know what they mean.

4) I work here: - Galvanize but only 2-3 times a week. Others are from home.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:23 AM

11,381 posts, read 9,961,472 times
If you have friends in the area and you like the area, I think that is probably going to be the best area. Baker is also nice and a little closer to your office. So are Platt Park and West Wash Park.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:52 AM

3,148 posts, read 5,655,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwind View Post
1) My apologies for using improper terms. I know only what Craigslist and others say. I hear (and see) 'highlands' quite frequently despite it be incorrect.

2) Yes, hipsters are quite often annoying - but easy to make fun of so there's that.

3) I don't care who makes up names. Actually, I do . If real estate people use these terms and I'm in the real estate market, seems to me I'd like to know what they mean.

4) I work here: - Galvanize but only 2-3 times a week. Others are from home.
I am not upset with you by any means, it is a reminder that the city where I grew up is changing drastically, and the people who move here have little or no sense of history of the area.

I blame the real estate people, though it is a brilliant strategy. If you give it a 4-letter, 2-syllable nickname then people will equate that with the area being hip and edgy.

From now on, I hereby declare that:
--the neighborhood where I grew up (Harvey Park in SW Denver) shall forever be known as "The H-P" (Californians love it when you add "the" to a name).
--the area where I live now (Southern Jefferson County) shall be called "SoJe" (pronounced So-Gee).
--Downtown Littleton shall be called "DoLi."

So it has been said, so let it be done! *gavel bang*

Old 05-29-2013, 10:57 AM

403 posts, read 701,029 times
Belmar in Lakewood is on the west side of town and it has a hip, modern vibe. It is a newer development of living (condos) over retail along with townhouses. Plenty of shops, restaurants, movie theaters, supermarkets, etc It also has great access to hiking/biking and the mountains.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:34 PM

1,627 posts, read 3,998,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
I am not upset with you by any means, it is a reminder that the city where I grew up is changing drastically, and the people who move here have little or no sense of history of the area.

I blame the real estate people, though it is a brilliant strategy. If you give it a 4-letter, 2-syllable nickname then people will equate that with the area being hip and edgy.

From now on, I hereby declare that:
--the neighborhood where I grew up (Harvey Park in SW Denver) shall forever be known as "The H-P" (Californians love it when you add "the" to a name).
--the area where I live now (Southern Jefferson County) shall be called "SoJe" (pronounced So-Gee).
--Downtown Littleton shall be called "DoLi."

So it has been said, so let it be done! *gavel bang*
Personally, I agree. I think it robs neighborhoods of their unique character (or their ability to develop unique character) and gives the impression that they are all "hip, trendy, cool" places. Your joke on Harvey Park (a very nice, pleasant neighborhood, but definitely not "cool") just adds to the irony

I'll let them have "LoDo" and even "RiNo", but "SoBo" and "LoHi" are pointless and must go! At least calling the Central Platte Valley "the CPV" has a rhyme and reason to doing so, but attempting to pin "WeHi" to West Highlands or "SoBo" (talk about reaching) to South Broadway is just ridiculous marketing. See you in "BoBra!"

Old 06-01-2013, 08:59 PM

431 posts, read 1,174,929 times
Saying Highlands is very common even if incorrect. It means to many people, especially those new to the city, the area of North Denver where there is West Highland and Lower Highland, thus Highlands plural. Sloans Lake, Berkeley and Sunnyside are known as neighborhoods surrounding the Highlands, and the overall trend for this area is up as it gains popularity and in some parts remains affordable with close proximity to downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>