Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 05:30 PM

5 posts, read 6,323 times

Advertisements

I have a couple of kids that are young - only one in elementary school. I don't know anything about the area but want my kids to go to one of the best public schools and would like to either rent for a year or so then buy a house or just buy and move to the new house.

My preference would be a good school system in an area that's safe and is walkable. I currently live on the east coast in an exburb due to how expensive it is out here. I realize I (probably) can't get everything I want but I"m tired of driving 2 hours each way to work and having nothing walking distance.

Let me add, work is located west of Denver. Not a big deal if I have to drive maybe an hour to get to work and back since I'm currently doing 2 hours.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 05-29-2013 at 06:09 PM.. Reason: Merged 2:1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 06:11 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Check padmapper.com for rental prices around town.

All school districts in Denver metro area are very good, with Denver city being considered the least good.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:54 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Default Need more info

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizza eater View Post
best public schools and would like to either rent for a year or so then buy a house or just buy and move to the new house...safe and is walkable
1. Where do you live now? ZIP code?
2. Budget? Rental and purchase?
3. What do you need in a dwelling unit?
4. What are the ages of your kids? Any special requirements for them?
5. Work address? Or cross streets?

Old 06-01-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
1. Where do you live now? ZIP code?
2. Budget? Rental and purchase?
3. What do you need in a dwelling unit?
4. What are the ages of your kids? Any special requirements for them?
5. Work address? Or cross streets?
1. 20112
2. under 2k/month rental, under 300k purchase
3. 3 bedrooms minimum, prefer a house if possible.
4. 2 and 5. Nothing special.
5. fed center

Would I need to actually start at the new job prior to purchasing or renting? I'm not going to have to live out of hotels for the first month am I?

Old 06-01-2013, 12:26 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,433,423 times
Lakewood, Wheat Ridge, Arvada, even Golden & South Jefferson County (aka Littleton) are all in your wheelhouse.

There are about 70 on the market in Jefferson County. 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, single family detached...

Whether you need 90 days at the job before you can close is all up to your new lender, the amount of down payment & the loan type.

DM me if you have more questions. I was born in DC and raised in Maryland.

Old 06-01-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Lakewood, Wheat Ridge, Arvada, even Golden & South Jefferson County (aka Littleton) are all in your wheelhouse.

There are about 70 on the market in Jefferson County. 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, single family detached...

Whether you need 90 days at the job before you can close is all up to your new lender, the amount of down payment & the loan type.

DM me if you have more questions. I was born in DC and raised in Maryland.
Thanks for the info! I was even sure any lenders would give you financing without being on the job for a while, so if any do then that would be great. I don't really want to move my family more than I have to.

Old 06-01-2013, 01:45 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,557,632 times
The great news is that there is a new light rail line that has a stop at the federal center. It means that you can live basically anywhere on the light rail and not have to drive in traffic.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:21 PM

39 posts, read 72,043 times
The good news is that if you are working at the Fed Center there are a lot of housing options close by and you could dramatically decrease your daily commute time which is a positive. Good areas could be Lakewood, Littleton or even Centennial. They all have good schools. Both the rental market and real estate market are extremely competitive at the moment.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:58 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,430,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knail View Post
The good news is that if you are working at the Fed Center there are a lot of housing options close by and you could dramatically decrease your daily commute time which is a positive. Good areas could be Lakewood, Littleton or even Centennial. They all have good schools. Both the rental market and real estate market are extremely competitive at the moment.
When you are looking at schools, be sure to look at their profiles which shows the demographics, test scores, etc. Know someone who lives in Belmar section of Lakewood and while they love the location, I question the makeup of the elementary school they are assigned, mainly due to the schools profile. Colorado does have school choice but it is a lottery, and in this case, they didn't get their choice when they tried to choice out.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:10 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,433,423 times
You'll have to talk to a local lender about qualifying. My last buyer only needed one paycheck after she moved here to close on her house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver