Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2013, 08:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,443 times

Advertisements

So I have read through quite a few threads, and there is some good information, but I didn't get enough information to make a conclusive decision. I just got an internal job offer that moves me to Denver and I have 60 days to move. I have checked out padmapper as well as apartment guide so I have a few properties and areas I want to check out, but I'm hoping to get a couple more opinions.

I'm a single 26/yo male who has to work a lot! ie travel 3 weeks, home 1 during most of the summer, but through the winter I will work from home. I am over the party every night scene (currently live in Vegas) but I love me a good beer and chill bars (very excited about the good beer thing moving to Denver) I also am an avid skier, mtn biker, and runner so I have been looking at the areas near city park/capital hill etc to have somewhere to go within biking/walking distance. I'm hoping to rent for $1500 or less a month but I'm also open to a hair higher if the place is just awesome. If you were in my shoes, what would you do, and where would you live near denver downtown?

Other things that would be nice but not mandatory:

- access to rail or public transport to the airport
- garaged parking
- grocery store within walking distance
- a decent young professional dating scene

I plan on coming out there shortly (hoping to drive my car out, spending 4-5 days there finding a place to live, leave the car with a friend, and fly back home to drive my rental truck out there with my home packed up)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 08:52 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Well done, great first post. +5
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:40 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,509,230 times
I'd say the areas that fit the bill (minus the grocery store) are Lodo, the Highlands (just north of Lodo), and RINO (aka River North) just north of Lodo. RINO is a little less expensive. You could probably find a decent 1 BR for $1300 there whereas in Lodo you'll spend at least $1500+ for the same thing. Anything close to Riverfront Park would be perfect because of access to bike paths, nightlife, and the light rail.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:04 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Berkeley (as close to Tennyson as possible)
Baker (as close to Broadway as possible)

Overall, public transit to the airport is not the best. The East Line is coming, but not for a few years.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:13 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,111,097 times
Your budget will get you virtually anything near downtown. Do you want a house or apartment? Since you're traveling 3 weeks a month, I recommend getting a modest apartment in Cap Hill for around $900 and keep the rest of the cash in your pocket for fun stuff. Or share a house with some roomates. In either scenario, you won't need $1,500 to rent a place anywhere in the city.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:29 AM

48 posts, read 101,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjongalt View Post
I'd say the areas that fit the bill (minus the grocery store) are Lodo, the Highlands (just north of Lodo), and RINO (aka River North) just north of Lodo. RINO is a little less expensive. You could probably find a decent 1 BR for $1300 there whereas in Lodo you'll spend at least $1500+ for the same thing. Anything close to Riverfront Park would be perfect because of access to bike paths, nightlife, and the light rail.
If I were in your shoes...I would pretty much do this ^, but I would scratch off LoDo if you're done with the party scene, and add Confluence Park/Lower Highland area instead.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:22 PM

556 posts, read 1,200,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klif01 View Post
I'm a single 26/yo male who has to work a lot! ie travel 3 weeks, home 1 during most of the summer, but through the winter I will work from home.
I would seriously consider living in breckenridge and finding a cheap place to crash in Denver when you need to be there. If you are into skiing and mountain biking and have this kind of flexibility, why not live in the mountains?

Old 06-07-2013, 09:12 AM

3,378 posts, read 9,208,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klif01 View Post
also am an avid skier, mtn biker, and runner so I
If you are looking for paved paths and nice green parks than maybe downtown Denver is for you.

However, if you really do enjoy mountain biking and trail running I would take your budget and move to Boulder. Since you won't be home very much having this stuff in your back yard (Boulder or Golden) will be worth it.

If you live in Denver and want to go mountain biking it will involve you driving 25 to 30 minutes to the foot hills. It might not seem like much but the drive will wear on you.

Since you will be only going to the airport once a month the RTD bus that goes from Boulder to DIA would be perfect. Anyways, if you have that much money to play with and are an outdoors enthusiast check out Boulder.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:13 AM

3,378 posts, read 9,208,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
I would seriously consider living in breckenridge and finding a cheap place to crash in Denver when you need to be there. If you are into skiing and mountain biking and have this kind of flexibility, why not live in the mountains?
That is a really good point....if I had that kind of budget and schedule I would look for a roommate setup. It would leave a lot of cash left over for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver