Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 08:13 PM

2,071 posts, read 2,197,824 times

Advertisements

I was hoping this point would be addressed by someone with some network cabeling background... Doesn't Comcast own most of the wiring per se in the Denver area, and don't they lease it to Century Link pursuant to Federal communication networking rules? And hence, won't they have essentially the same service in most areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 01:08 PM

833 posts, read 1,705,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post
I was hoping this point would be addressed by someone with some network cabeling background... Doesn't Comcast own most of the wiring per se in the Denver area, and don't they lease it to Century Link pursuant to Federal communication networking rules? And hence, won't they have essentially the same service in most areas?
Cable company cabling and phone company cabling are quite different and the two types of Internet connections are quite different. The most obvious difference the average consumer will notice is the maximum speed; DSL is highly dependent upon distance from the phone company's equipment while cable is not. Although classically referred to as the "Central Office" distance now typically depends on where they hand-off from their high-speed connections to the copper wires that run into your home.

There's a story in the Post today that could be the start of something big in Denver, CenturyLink to turn Denver into a Gig City with 1 gigabit per second - The Denver Post

Although Century Link's gig service appears to be within City limits (and only some areas at that), this typically causes the competitors to start pushing higher and higher speeds and in an expanded area since they want to get customers on board and locked into contracts before a viable option becomes available.

Old 08-05-2014, 01:27 PM

694 posts, read 1,033,287 times
I have CL for home and office. Not many complaints about them and if your service appears to be running slow, they will come out and check and can increase the speed, if at all possible.

I've heard nothing but horror stories about Comcast, especially from a friend who lives in the 80014 area of Aurora.

Old 08-05-2014, 01:47 PM

17,676 posts, read 29,593,959 times
Default No

Quote:
Doesn't Comcast own most of the wiring per se in the Denver area, and don't they lease it to Century Link
No

Old 08-05-2014, 04:16 PM

2,071 posts, read 2,197,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigal Native View Post
Cable company cabling and phone company cabling are quite different and the two types of Internet connections are quite different.
Thanks. I was not aware Qwest had changed their name, again. I thought Century Link was a new cable company. So Century Link = Qwest = USWest = a company with such bad customer service they have to change their name every ten years.

Old 08-05-2014, 04:25 PM

7,138 posts, read 10,976,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigal Native View Post
There's a story in the Post today that could be the start of something big in Denver, CenturyLink to turn Denver into a Gig City with 1 gigabit per second - The Denver Post
Quote:
CenturyLink plans to charge $150 a month for stand-alone service with speeds of up to 1 Gbps for both uploads and downloads.
Ouch. Google charges just $70.

Old 08-05-2014, 04:46 PM

17,676 posts, read 29,593,959 times
Default Ding dong

Quote:
Century Link = Qwest = USWest =
Mountain States Telephone & Telegraph.
Why they changed from that, I don't know.

Old 08-06-2014, 12:46 AM

7,138 posts, read 10,976,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Mountain States Telephone & Telegraph.
Why they changed from that, I don't know.
It was part of the so called "break up" of AT&T. But was actually a merger of Mountain Bell, Northwestern Bell and Pacific Northwest Bell.

Old 08-06-2014, 04:54 PM

110 posts, read 187,047 times
Just signed up for something called Skybeam, as neither CL nor Comcast could offer decent speeds in my area. Will report back with complaints/praise.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:02 AM

100 posts, read 225,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriela727 View Post
Which company has the best internet service in Denver: Comcast or Century Link?
Comcast vs Century Link in Denver- Choose your poison.

I have used them both around the Denver metro area.

Century Link- I tried them in Arvada they were slow and kept going down no internet for days.. I would call and they would say “we are working on the lines.” so after 2 weeks and no internet or unusable internet half the time I packed up the modem and router and went cancel my services.
At the office the girl was very nice and pleasant she told me flat out that Century Link does not work in much of Arvada. I then had to talk to the someone on the office phone to cancel. The guy on the phone was extremely rude and aggressive told me I could not cancel because I signed a contract. I told him that Century Link did not live up to the contract and provide usable internet connection. After 10 mins of very rude and aggressive marketing tactics he finally said he would cancel it (the most rude and aggressive customer service I have ever received.).

So 2mo later I get a bill for $200. for the modem and router I returned at the office. Lucky for me I kept the UPS receipt they gave me when they packed it up to send off to the distribution center. So I called (said nothing about the receipt) and they were very aggressive said I needed to pay or they would sue me for the money and collect a pile of fees on top of it. After 15min of threats I finally told them I had the receipt.

I have since heard of 2 other people that also got billed by Century Link for a returned modem and router. Seems like a standard Century Link scam. (Keep your return receipt..)

Century Link is one of the most lowest scum I have ever dealt with

Comcast
- I have gotten good connection and decent speed with them. They start out at about $50 a mo then after a year it turns to $100.+ so I cancel and restart at $50.
The other year I get a ups package from them, I think strange.. So I open it and it is TV stuff wtf.. ? So I take it to the office and they said I was now on direct TV and will pay $100++ a mo. So I said I didn't order it and cancel it. They guy told me they send those out to all customers who only have internet and he would check the box so I didn't get it again. I told him I will never sign for a comcast package again.

Once you sign for the package you are on the hook for the equipment once you hook it up you are on the hook for the extra TV charges. Brute force marketing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver