Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 07:10 AM

9 posts, read 24,199 times

Advertisements

If you are relocating and looking for a rental in Denver area... be careful. This is what I received from the scam artists:

To:
Subject: RE: Lead for 9484 Cove Creek Drive, Highlands Ranch, CO 80129
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 23:52:46 +0100

[SIZE=3]Thank you so much for having an interest in my property. the house still available for rent but I will only be interested in renting it out to a very good and caring person that can take proper care of the house like his/her own, Am just been posted to West Africa due to my transfer from Work with the (MBF) Medical Benevolence Foundation. MBF with the Presbyterian Church proclaims and demonstrates the gospel of Jesus Christ by encouraging and supporting the healing ministries of our worldwide partners.

We wanted to sell the house initially but we later changed our mind after we discovered that we wouldn't be spending more than 4 years here in Africa .We seek to fulfill the Great Commission of Christ by proclaiming to help the poor, We believe that when we feed the hungry and thirsty, give shelter to the homeless, clothe the needy, tend the sick, and visit those in prison, we are doing so for Christ (Matthew 25:31-46).so we will be staying here for 4 years, and we are looking for a responsible family to help us take very good care of our House for us.

We are looking for a well-behaved, clean and honest tenant to rent out our house too. So will like you to give us your word and promise us that you will take good care of our house. We accept both short and long-term rent and either month to month or a year lease. Here is the rentals application form so we can proceed.

But I will like you to know that the house has been locked up I have the paper-work here with me .and you can only view it from the outside.And also the reason why it so cheap is because i knew how hard the Economy is this days o just want to help to save more money ti buy your own and raise Family

Please note that the monthly rent is $1000 and the security deposit is $800
Keys shipping fee:$100

Air Conditioning
Patio/Party Deck
Cable TV
Ceiling Fans
Dishwasher
Firepot
Garbage Disposal
Microwave
Security alarm
Pets Allowed
Refrigerator
Washer / Dryer

RENTAL APPLICATION FORM TENANT'S PERSONAL INFORMATION

Pets are also Welcome.

PLEASE TELL US ABOUT YOURSELF
RENT APPLICATION FORM
FIRST NAME:__________________

MIDDLE NAME:_________________ ?
LAST NAME:__________________ ?
PROFESSION:________________ ?
(CELL) PHONE (____)__________
(WORK) PHONE (____)__________ ?
(HOME) PHONE (____)__________ ?
KIDS_____ (YES/NO), HOW MANY________
PRESENT ADDRESS:_____________________ ?
CITY:_______________ ?
STATE:______________ ?
ZIP CODE:____________ ?
WHEN DO YOU INTEND MOVING IN?______________ ?
IF YOU HAVE A PET,
NAME OF PET:_____________ ?
KIND OF PETS:_____________ ?
.................................................. .......
Comment
.................................................. .......
TAKE NOTE: YOU CAN ONLY DRIVE BY AND SEE MY PLACE FROM THE OUTSIDE, BUT IF
DRIVE BY THE HOME YOU MAY SEE A SIGN THERE, YOU HAVE NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT
IT BELONGS TO OUR PREVIOUS AGENT SO YOU HAVE ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO WORRY
ABOUT AND DON'T HAVE TO CALL THEM BECAUSE THEY DO NOT HAVE ACCESS TO THE
HOME ANYMORE! IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN RENTING GET THE APPLICATION FORM

FILLED OUT AND SEND IT BACK TO ME

You are Blessed

[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 07:18 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,548,648 times
How do people actually fall for these things?

I'm also thinking of installing a firepot in my house. Anyone know where I can get one?

Old 06-19-2013, 07:20 AM

17,706 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Default Here you go

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
I'm also thinking of installing a firepot in my house. Anyone know where I can get one?
Fire pot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
and
Amazon.com: firepot

Old 06-23-2013, 10:45 AM

55 posts, read 110,346 times
I received these from Hot Pads and another that I forget the name of.

I just reported them and got the posting removed.. But I did lead them along be showing my interest and waste their time for a laugh

Old 06-23-2013, 11:27 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,877,389 times
The random Bible references in them are just weird, like maybe they are hoping you are just so religious you can't say no to them?

I have received a number of these for random items I have inquired about on CL. I asked about a piece of workout equipment and the guy says sorry I just relocated to Central America but will ship it back to you if you send me the shipping fee upfront. I guess it only takes one sucker every now and then to make it worthwhile.

Old 06-23-2013, 01:10 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
That is the CLASSIC scam from CL....the old "we're missionaries in Africa" routine.... who would suspect missionaries of dirty dealing, right.

We've warned people for years about these CL scammers....they take pix off of realtor websites, publish an ad on CL, ask you to provide a TON of personal data for a credit/background check, take your payment for the credit check and/or a deposit to hold the property via your credit card, then they disappear.

They then use your personal info and credit card data to go on a shopping spree.

If the house sounds too good to be true for the price listed, then it almost certainly is a SCAM.

People need to read and heed the warnings on CL.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:16 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,217,084 times
Saw this ad (or one pretty similar) back in 2009 when we were looking for places in Denver. Was fishy right from the start.

Old 06-24-2013, 04:57 PM

249 posts, read 443,408 times
Don't really think it's necessary to post this. Anyone with even a quarter of a brain can easily discern this for what it is.

A much more believable and well-written scam would bear mentioning...but this?

Old 06-24-2013, 05:03 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,214,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the12ronin View Post
Don't really think it's necessary to post this. Anyone with even a quarter of a brain can easily discern this for what it is.

A much more believable and well-written scam would bear mentioning...but this?
Yep this is like posting that the sun came up. Iwant my click back.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:19 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,030,601 times
what is craig list? Is that like the scam of craigslist?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver