Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 08:10 PM

26 posts, read 29,283 times

Advertisements

I appreciate it Idlewile good to know what a professional thinks. Would someone from UC Denver get the same consideration in the Silicon Valley or does first priority go to SV school grads?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 08:23 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,216,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolekatrinab View Post
I appreciate it Idlewile good to know what a professional thinks. Would someone from UC Denver get the same consideration in the Silicon Valley or does first priority go to SV school grads?
No problem, good for you for being as thoughtful as you are about this decision.

The most direct answer is, if you are a creative and you want to be for the long-term, your portfolio matters a lot more than either school and it matters more than an MBA too, as it should.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:33 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,308,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolekatrinab View Post
idlewile, thanks for your response

I would like to get your opinion based on this: I'm not looking to move to one or the other and settle there permanently after. I'd keep my job scopes open to any area with a position that interests me. Meaning LA, SJ, SF, or even a smaller town if the pay was right at the company.

That being said, does SJ still have the advantage?
Unfortunately, that's not how it works. Geography matters. Especially since the recession started in 2008, campus recruiting and job searching in general have become more locally dependent than they have been in several generations. If you want to have a career in Denver, go to CU Denver (or better yet, CU Boulder). If you want to have a career in the Bay Area, go to SJSU or another school out there (I'm not too familiar with how SJSU stacks up against other Bay Area schools). If you want to have a career in Los Angeles, go to USC or UCLA. If you're not sure or don't really care where you'll end up, then go to the best in-state schools you can get into to keep the costs down. You want to take advantage of the campus recruiting, internship, and networking opportunities that your metro region has to offer. If you attend CU Denver with the intention of getting hired somewhere in CA (or vice versa), you'll be fighting an uphill battle the whole way. Trust me on this, I learned the hard way.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:56 PM

26 posts, read 29,283 times
Vegaspilgrim, could you elaborate?

Old 06-24-2013, 10:16 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,029,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Not sure about SJSU, but CU Denver is a big time commuter school. There is not real "campus life" to speak of compared to most universities. As a grad student this may be a good thing, but as an undergrad I would not consider CU Denver because of this.
They are both Downtown campuses of comparable size. So I believe they are both equally commuter schools. Thats why I don't really see much of a difference in the two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: