Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 01:32 PM

74 posts, read 341,252 times

Advertisements

What are the requirements for obtaining a marijuana growers license to grow marijuana legally for MMJ dispensaries or to sell recreational marijuana in wholesale to smoke shops? No I'm not a consumer of marijuana I am only looking to get in the marijuana industry to take care of myself and my family.

What does the avg apartment or townhouse costs to rent in Denver? Are there any apartments or townhouses renting for less than $900/month. What other cities are/will be 420 job or potrepreneur friendly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 01:55 PM

17,666 posts, read 29,540,339 times
Default Stay in Atlanta

The great riches that you dream of will not occur in Colorado.
Way too much regulation.
Way to many hefty taxes.
Work to change the law in Georgia.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:19 PM

459 posts, read 804,009 times
In addition to the tons of regulation and expected tons of taxes (depending on how the vote goes in November) you also are going to be pretty late to market by the time you can sell.

You need to be a CO resident for 2 years, and existing MMJ dispensaries get first bite of the apple in 2014 when sales become legal. By the time you can sell the market will be pretty saturated and hard to break through unless you can find a niche or are heavily capitalized.

If you don't want to wait for Georgia to legalize I would recommend going to a recently legalized MMJ state, and then ride the legalization trend there.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:56 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,436,784 times
The other piece of this is that under current law, dispensaries have to produce at a minimum 70% of the product that they sell. The few guys I know who are in this business strive to produce as much as they can themselves because the margins are so much better than buying from someone else.

If you are a commercial grow facility, you need to have a city inspected and fully functioning grow house. These are set up in warehouse type buildings. The cost to get one of these up and running in an existing warehouse is 6 figures at minimum for a fairly small space (3,000 square feet). The larger dispensaries are operating 100,000 square foot grows. There is very little room for a guy who wants to grow a few plants in his basement and sell them to dispensaries. Come with cash if you want to get in to this business.

Old 06-24-2013, 04:49 PM

17,666 posts, read 29,540,339 times
Default Which is why

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
There is very little room for a guy who wants to grow a few plants in his basement and sell them to dispensaries.
SkyDog is building a bigger basement. LOL.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:05 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,436,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
SkyDog is building a bigger basement. LOL.
I would need 100,000 feet for that to begin to make sense

Old 06-24-2013, 06:16 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,092,385 times
Quote:
Way too much regulation.
Way to many hefty taxes.
Exactly. The big money has already been made in the past five years. The market has become saturated, and the regulations are too much to make a good profit.

Old 06-30-2013, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Way too much regulation.
Way to many hefty taxes.
I'm not moving to Colorado to strike it rich like Andrea Sanderlian or be like the mom in the "Weeds" tv series. I'm coming to Colorado with realistic expectations. And I don't foresee Georgia legalizing medical nor recreational marijuana anytime soon before 2016. Washington State and Colorado are the only two U.S. states to legalize growing marijuana as long as one remains within the boundaries of the laws and regulations enforced by MMED.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertgoodman View Post
In addition to the tons of regulation and expected tons of taxes (depending on how the vote goes in November) you also are going to be pretty late to market by the time you can sell.

You need to be a CO resident for 2 years, and existing MMJ dispensaries get first bite of the apple in 2014 when sales become legal. By the time you can sell the market will be pretty saturated and hard to break through unless you can find a niche or are heavily capitalized.

If you don't want to wait for Georgia to legalize I would recommend going to a recently legalized MMJ state, and then ride the legalization trend there.

I've read Amendments 64/20 plus HB1317 and the other bill I can't recall right off but neither mentions a 2 years residency requirement only requisite of being a Colorado resident. I'm considering the retail marijuana store as a viable option and exploring niches within the marijuana industry. I'm keeping my ears on new news on how the MMED plans to regulate stand-alone growers and marijuana transportation between "Marijuana Cultural Processing Facilities". I'm not moving out to Colorado to set a 1,900 plant grow op. I want to utilize the opportunity to learn the marijuana industry without the fear of a 10 year or more jail sentence as it currently stands in the state of Georgia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
The other piece of this is that under current law, dispensaries have to produce at a minimum 70% of the product that they sell. The few guys I know who are in this business strive to produce as much as they can themselves because the margins are so much better than buying from someone else.

If you are a commercial grow facility, you need to have a city inspected and fully functioning grow house. These are set up in warehouse type buildings. The cost to get one of these up and running in an existing warehouse is 6 figures at minimum for a fairly small space (3,000 square feet). The larger dispensaries are operating 100,000 square foot grows. There is very little room for a guy who wants to grow a few plants in his basement and sell them to dispensaries. Come with cash if you want to get in to this business.
I'm aware of the capital outlay and expenditures of setting up a marijuana grow op to grow hydroponic marijuana which doesn't included the license fees being enforce by MMED.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_reino View Post
Exactly. The big money has already been made in the past five years. The market has become saturated, and the regulations are too much to make a good profit.
I believe opportunities are still available to make a nice return on investment otherwise I'll gain valuable experience growing 6 plants before trying to grow twenty or 1000 clones.

Old 06-30-2013, 07:48 PM

459 posts, read 804,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlMuslimah View Post

I've read Amendments 64/20 plus HB1317 and the other bill I can't recall right off but neither mentions a 2 years residency requirement only requisite of being a Colorado resident.
HB 1317 Section 12-43.4-306

Quote:
(1) A LICENSE
PROVIDED BY THIS ARTICLE SHALL NOT BE ISSUED TO OR HELD BY:
(k)AN OWNER WHO HAS NOT BEEN A RESIDENT OF COLORADO FOR
AT LEAST TWO YEARS PRIOR TO THE DATE OF THE OWNER'S APPLICATION

Last edited by robertgoodman; 06-30-2013 at 08:03 PM..

Old 06-30-2013, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertgoodman View Post
HB 1317 Section 12-43.4-306
Ah ha still not discourage by the 2 year residency requisite. Will have to inquire if all owners in a partnership will be required to have to be Colorado residents before a license is issued.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver