Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 10:21 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times

Advertisements

I have never lived in NYC, though I did live in Albany, which is the same but different weather I guess. I grew up in Pittsburgh and also lived in Champaign, IL before I moved here. I agree with livecontent's assessment, in general. One thing I do miss, however, is "sweater weather". We so seldom get that here in the fall. I don't know how to explain the difference, but it's there. Mayber b/c the sun is so warm here, and 50 can feel like 70. I also agree with cil's assessment of the summer. It does get hot, and you do feel hot. Just a different kind of hot than in the east/midwest. Overall, I'll take Denver's weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2007, 11:00 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,757,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
I have never lived in NYC, though I did live in Albany, which is the same but different weather I guess. I grew up in Pittsburgh and also lived in Champaign, IL before I moved here. I agree with livecontent's assessment, in general. One thing I do miss, however, is "sweater weather". We so seldom get that here in the fall. I don't know how to explain the difference, but it's there. Mayber b/c the sun is so warm here, and 50 can feel like 70. I also agree with cil's assessment of the summer. It does get hot, and you do feel hot. Just a different kind of hot than in the east/midwest. Overall, I'll take Denver's weather.
Occasionally, I wear sweaters, even in the dead of summer. Particularly when I go to the movie theater. And I always have something at work to put on....

Old 11-10-2007, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
Occasionally, I wear sweaters, even in the dead of summer. Particularly when I go to the movie theater. And I always have something at work to put on....
Me, too. But outside, it's different. Not worse, but "different". You will like it here. Much less gloomy, no one has mentioned that.

Old 11-10-2007, 03:30 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,288,788 times
Quote:
part of the warmer "feel" has to do with the fact that there's less air - nitrogen, oxygen, AND "humidity" - at this altitude to "pull heat away from you" (or give it back). so, when in the direct sun, not only is there less "stuff" in the atmosphere to filter the sun's radiance, but also fewer air molecules to work on ya (or vice versa). if you were orbiting the planet, the sun would be VERY intense (and a tad sultry on your sun side), the shade VERY cold (not to mention you'd be having some trouble breathing and maybe feeling a little iffy , but...). so, it's a *little* like that at altitude (complicated a bit by the fact that what air IS here tends to be cooler with altitude...).

the weather's just kinda nicer and sunnier, too.

Old 11-11-2007, 11:06 AM

275 posts, read 1,471,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
I have looked up daily averages in both cities, and have consistently looked to see what the weather was in Denver on a regular basis.

I have concluded that temperature wise, the cities are similar. However, I can't really account for the arid nature of Denver and no amount of data gathering is going to substitute for actually living some where.

So can any transplants guide me as to what the weather feels like?

IN NY
I hate the dead of winter, especially when it is windy. Especially when we go a few weeks where the temperature is below 20.
I hate the dead of summer, especiall when it is humid. And there is never a breeze in the summer.

But I do like the 4 seasons.
First, let me just say I like the weather in Denver, but I also like the weather in NYC, and there are differences. But depending on individual preferences, one could easily prefer Denver weather to NYC's or vice-versa.

NYC weather in general is much better than the midwestern cities of Cleveland, Detroit, Chicago, Minneapolis, Indianapolis, (& Buffalo & Pittsburgh, though they are not considered midwest per se).

I think NYC gets about 58% of annual possible sunshine vs. Denver at about 69%. In comparison, Cleveland and Pittsburgh are in the mid 40's and Chicago and Detroit are at about 50% i think.

I think it as a great exaggeration to say that there is never a breeze in the summer in NYC; there are plenty of hot oppressive days for sure, but after three or four oppressive days you typically get 3 or 4 beautiful, low humidity days in the 80's. Also, the average temps in NYC in January (the coldest month) are about 25 for the low and 38 for the high. I think Denver is January is about 16 (low) and 42 (high).

I lived in NYC for 15 years and never recall more than a few days in a row when it failed to get above 32 for the high, much less "going a few weeks below 20". The only times of the year I really didn't like the weather in NYC was about 6 weeks from January - mid Feb (then the crocuses started coming up), and April, when you had already had some really beautiful warm days, and then you would get the wet, cold miserable rain for a couple of days. Autumn in NYC is pretty consistenty beautiful, Denver will be much more hit and miss.

The low humidity and sunshine in Denver do make the cold feel "not as cold", but you will notice a very significant difference between being in the shade or in the sun and also if there is a breeze, the air can feel quite cold even with the sunshine if the temps are in the 20's, 30's or low 40's.

NYC has a much longer growing season for plants. There is much less diurnal contrast in temps than Denver. The USDA climate zone for NYC is 7a; for the Denver metro area it would be a 5a or 5b depending on where you are.

Overall for me, i think I would give a slight preference to Denver's climate. However, if you have problems with dry skin, or are really into gardening you may prefer NYC. Both cities have their good and bad in terms of climate, and they are different, but it is nowhere near the clear contrast that cleveland/san diego or Minneapolis/Miami would have.

Also, just for the record, i have lived in New Mexico (grew up in clovis, which has a similar climate to Denver except that it is 5 to 10 degrees warmer thruout the year, and has way less snow), NYC for about 15 years, SF bay area (4 years), Miami (4 years) and Albany NY (10 months of hell).
Quote:
I have never lived in NYC, though I did live in Albany, which is the same but different weather I guess.
NYC is practically tropical compared to Albany... you really can't equate anywhere in upstate NY (Albany, Syracuse, Rochester, Buffalo, etc.) with NYC. NYC is much sunnier and warmer due to the moderating influence of the Atlantic Ocean, more southerly latitude and the air descending (and compressing and warming) from the appalachians, than anywhere in upstate NY.

Old 11-11-2007, 01:45 PM

MobyLL, I agree with your assessment of Denver's weather. However, I found Albany to be quite sunny, and the winter we were there did not get much snow. I have heard stories, however.

It is colder in Albany. Many people made little ice rinks in their yards. It's hard to do that here, though we did it for a few winters as we have a north facing back yard. You have to get it in by Christmas, though, or it will never be cold enough for it to freeze.

Anyway, the OP was asking about NYC, so I'll stop. Just wanted to share my opinion, I guess.

Old 11-11-2007, 03:30 PM

275 posts, read 1,471,423 times
Quote:
MobyLL, I agree with your assessment of Denver's weather. However, I found Albany to be quite sunny, and the winter we were there did not get much snow. I have heard stories, however.

It is colder in Albany. Many people made little ice rinks in their yards. It's hard to do that here, though we did it for a few winters as we have a north facing back yard. You have to get it in by Christmas, though, or it will never be cold enough for it to freeze.

Anyway, the OP was asking about NYC, so I'll stop. Just wanted to share my opinion, I guess.
pittnurse70 -- I for one, always value your opinion... always well thought out and reasoned. Just wanted to point out that NYC and Albany have very different weather (on average), since I have had direct experience with both.

Old 11-12-2007, 03:31 AM

1,267 posts, read 3,288,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobyLL View Post
The low humidity and sunshine in Denver do make the cold feel "not as cold", but you will notice a very significant difference between being in the shade or in the sun and also if there is a breeze, the air can feel quite cold even with the sunshine if the temps are in the 20's, 30's or low 40's.
i hear people say that it is the lower humidity that makes it feel less cold in denver. i would think that "warm feeling" has more to do with less air in general (to be heated by you when the air is cooler than you, so cooling you) in denver, and more sunshine (less sunshine scattered away or absorbed by atmosphere) - the lower humidity might actually offset this slightly by benefiting evaporation from you (evaporative latent heat).

Old 11-12-2007, 09:07 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,400,425 times
Quote:
First, let me just say I like the weather in Denver, but I also like the weather in NYC, and there are differences. But depending on individual preferences, one could easily prefer Denver weather to NYC's or vice-versa.

NYC weather in general is much better than the midwestern cities of Cleveland, Detroit, Chicago, Minneapolis, Indianapolis, (& Buffalo & Pittsburgh, though they are not considered midwest per se).

I think NYC gets about 58% of annual possible sunshine vs. Denver at about 69%. In comparison, Cleveland and Pittsburgh are in the mid 40's and Chicago and Detroit are at about 50% i think.

I think it as a great exaggeration to say that there is never a breeze in the summer in NYC; there are plenty of hot oppressive days for sure, but after three or four oppressive days you typically get 3 or 4 beautiful, low humidity days in the 80's. Also, the average temps in NYC in January (the coldest month) are about 25 for the low and 38 for the high. I think Denver is January is about 16 (low) and 42 (high).

I lived in NYC for 15 years and never recall more than a few days in a row when it failed to get above 32 for the high, much less "going a few weeks below 20". The only times of the year I really didn't like the weather in NYC was about 6 weeks from January - mid Feb (then the crocuses started coming up), and April, when you had already had some really beautiful warm days, and then you would get the wet, cold miserable rain for a couple of days. Autumn in NYC is pretty consistenty beautiful, Denver will be much more hit and miss.

NYC has a much longer growing season for plants. There is much less diurnal contrast in temps than Denver. The USDA climate zone for NYC is 7a; for the Denver metro area it would be a 5a or 5b depending on where you are.

Overall for me, i think I would give a slight preference to Denver's climate. However, if you have problems with dry skin, or are really into gardening you may prefer NYC. Both cities have their good and bad in terms of climate, and they are different, but it is nowhere near the clear contrast that cleveland/san diego or Minneapolis/Miami would have.

Also, just for the record, i have lived in New Mexico (grew up in clovis, which has a similar climate to Denver except that it is 5 to 10 degrees warmer thruout the year, and has way less snow), NYC for about 15 years, SF bay area (4 years), Miami (4 years) and Albany NY (10 months of hell).

NYC is practically tropical compared to Albany... you really can't equate anywhere in upstate NY (Albany, Syracuse, Rochester, Buffalo, etc.) with NYC. NYC is much sunnier and warmer due to the moderating influence of the Atlantic Ocean, more southerly latitude and the air descending (and compressing and warming) from the appalachians, than anywhere in upstate NY.
Your post is totally correct. I grew up in Near Buffalo. Went to school along the Hudson and on the Southern Tier. Born, lived and worked in NYC during and after college. Lived in Colorado almost 30 years.

NYC and Long Island is indeed much milder than the rest of the State. It is suprising how much colder it gets, when you go up the Hudson past Westchester.
In addition, the weather gets significantly colder just going on the Mainland from the islands that compose NYC.

It is interesting that you pointed out the affects of the Appalachians, I was not aware of that--I assumed more for the affects of the Atlantic currents.

Today in Denver, it was overcast and raining--it reminded me of New York. When I first came here, I actually missed overcast days--now, I, my bones, my knees, my hands, my ankles are in agreement that we want sun. I can never go back to New York because of the arguments that I would have with these body parts.

Livecontent

Old 11-13-2007, 03:19 PM

3,570 posts, read 3,757,388 times
Quote:

I think it as a great exaggeration to say that there is never a breeze in the summer in NYC;
I have lived in NY for 38 years. I don't recall breezes in NYC proper.

Quote:
there are plenty of hot oppressive days for sure, but after three or four oppressive days you typically get 3 or 4 beautiful, low humidity days in the 80's.
In the 80's, with a humidity that's very high. And there is a big difference between say 82 and 88 in the middle of summer.

Quote:
I lived in NYC for 15 years and never recall more than a few days in a row when it failed to get above 32 for the high, much less "going a few weeks below 20".
I can recall the last 3 winters we had days in the teens and low twenties for several weeks. Enough so, that my long underwear starting to get holes in it.

Quote:
Autumn in NYC is pretty consistenty beautiful, Denver will be much more hit and miss.
Last winter we didn't have an autumn. This year, it's a pretty long one. Many years we skip summer/autumn and go to the next season in a matter of days.

Quote:
the air can feel quite cold even with the sunshine if the temps are in the 20's, 30's or low 40's.
No doubt, especially if there is a breeze of any kind.

Quote:
NYC is much sunnier and warmer due to the moderating influence of the Atlantic Ocean, more southerly latitude and the air descending (and compressing and warming) from the appalachians, than anywhere in upstate NY.
It has a growing wine industry little known to non-locals in Long Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver