Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 11:13 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,096,821 times
I think the ease of access to information (like weather reports) that stems from the internet leads to more people moving to the desirable locations. Over the last few decades the entire sunbelt has been growing, though I think the technology that drives that decision is the presence of affordable air conditioning. When heating was common and A/C was not, it made more sense to be farther North. Now people move to the South because they can cool their house off easily so the hottest summer months aren't so difficult.

Is water an issue in our future? Sure. However, it would be foolish to pick Boston or Philly over Denver based simply on the water issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 12:12 PM

462 posts, read 1,173,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertgoodman View Post

Of course at some point we will hit a wall where we cannot conserve any more water to facilitate growth, but I think people will be surprised at how much further we can stretch the water we do get even during dry years. I think when the Front Range hits that conservation wall decades down the road ...
Agree with most of your post but strongly disagree with this ^^. Population growth rates tend to be logarithmic. Rapidly increasing population combined with dwindling water resources will guarantee a crisis. It may already be here. It sure is for the ranchers and farmers.

Old 07-13-2013, 01:03 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,931,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnuts View Post
Agree with most of your post but strongly disagree with this ^^. Population growth rates tend to be logarithmic. Rapidly increasing population combined with dwindling water resources will guarantee a crisis. It may already be here. It sure is for the ranchers and farmers.
Thank you. Notice how much more aware of the water problem rural Coloradans are? People who live in Denver can't see beyond the asphalt on Colfax Avenue. They live indoors and might get out for the occasional ski trip to Vail or Breckenridge with their artificial snow and carefully groomed slopes. They don't have that same sense of place that rural Coloradans do which means they can't see the on-coming environmental train wreck.

It's really too bad.

Old 07-13-2013, 01:24 PM

459 posts, read 807,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Thank you. Notice how much more aware of the water problem rural Coloradans are? People who live in Denver can't see beyond the asphalt on Colfax Avenue. They live indoors and might get out for the occasional ski trip to Vail or Breckenridge with their artificial snow and carefully groomed slopes. They don't have that same sense of place that rural Coloradans do which means they can't see the on-coming environmental train wreck.

It's really too bad.
Oh please. I have lived in rural Colorado as well so you can drop the holier than though, salt of the earth, we know more than the city folk act. I thought it was BS when I lived in rural areas and I still do.

The major difference is water diversification so cities can better withstand droughts. Rural areas if one tributary of a river has bad snow-pack it tends to hit them harder. Also a bad water/snow year makes rural folk panic more since a larger percentage of people have their livelihoods tied to it.

Old 07-13-2013, 01:50 PM

2,289 posts, read 2,943,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnuts View Post
Disagree. I can see Mt Princeton as I write this and it is bare and I mean BARE. What good are water rights when the aquifers are empty? I would argue that it's already happening and that's why water restrictions are already occuring. Water stress will only get worse as people move to Denver for jobs and the population continues to grow. I really don't think it will limit growth. Policy makers can only think in terms of money and they want to grow the city and economy and that means more development. Still think Denver is a good choice if the OP is moving to CO, just be prepared for water shortages in the future and adapt.
The City of Denver (not the entire metro) gets most of it's water from the Gross Reservoir. It is able to handle the current demand, but will not be adequate in 2030. Denver is currently in the planning stage to add another 125 feet to the Gross Reservoir.

It is very unlikely Denver will run out of water in the next 50 years.

Now the rest of the state is another story. Douglas County is probably the most vulnerable to a water crisis.

As someone mentioned earlier, I think the places with good water supplies are going to see big property gains in the next 15 years.

Old 07-13-2013, 01:54 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,931,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertgoodman View Post
Oh please. I have lived in rural Colorado as well so you can drop the holier than though, salt of the earth, we know more than the city folk act. I thought it was BS when I lived in rural areas and I still do.
And I grew up in Colorado Springs and spent a significant part of my adult life living in either Denver or Colorado Springs. We have different opinions about our experience, and I'll leave it at that, except to note that I'm more of a tree hugger type than "salt of the earth."

Quote:
The major difference is water diversification so cities can better withstand droughts. Rural areas if one tributary of a river has bad snow-pack it tends to hit them harder. Also a bad water/snow year makes rural folk panic more since a larger percentage of people have their livelihoods tied to it.
In a normal year, this statement might be correct, but it's been quite a while now since Colorado has seen "normal." The Colorado is low, the Dolores is low, and the San Miguel is becoming a trickle. Diversification would gain us nothing - especially given water compacts, etc.

Maybe the Arkansas and the South Platte, etc. are running at flood levels. I haven't been out that way recently, so I don't know. Even if the streams that feed the reservoirs of the Front Range cities are running full tilt now, they won't continue to do so - probably sooner rather than later. The drought and the warming trend are going to be facts of life for the foreseeable future.

Climate change is real and whether it's manmade or natural has become a bit of a moot point. The reality is that it's here and it's not going away.

Here's a map from NOAA of current drought conditions in the US. Take a look at Colorado.

Attached Thumbnails
How Long Will The Influx Last?-season_drought.gif  

Last edited by Colorado Rambler; 07-13-2013 at 02:46 PM..

Old 07-13-2013, 01:58 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Default Data are your friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
The City of Denver (not the entire metro) gets most of it's water from the Gross Reservoir.
Gross - Capacity: 41,811 acre feet
Dillon - Capacity: 257,304 acre feet
Williams Fork - Capacity: 96,822 acre feet
Cheesman - Capacity: 79,064 acre feet

Old 07-13-2013, 02:03 PM

2,289 posts, read 2,943,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Thanks! They have even more water.

Old 07-13-2013, 02:15 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,548,648 times
Default And more...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Antero - 19,881
Eleven Mile - 97,779
Strontia Springs - 7,863
Marston - 19,796

Ralston - 10,776

And part of Chatfield

Old 07-13-2013, 04:01 PM

459 posts, read 807,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post

In a normal year, this statement might be correct, but it's been quite a while now since Colorado has seen "normal." The Colorado is low, the Dolores is low, and the San Miguel is becoming a trickle. Diversification would gain us nothing - especially given water compacts, etc.

Maybe the Arkansas and the South Platte, etc. are running at flood levels. I haven't been out that way recently, so I don't know. Even if the streams that feed the reservoirs of the Front Range cities are running full tilt now, they won't continue to do so - probably sooner rather than later. The drought and the warming trend are going to be facts of life for the foreseeable future.

Climate change is real and whether it's manmade or natural has become a bit of a moot point. The reality is that it's here and it's not going away.

Here's a of current drought conditions in the US. Take a look at Colorado.
This spring Denver's watersheds snowpack hit 95% of average. 2012's spring snowpack was bad for Denver's watersheds so being slightly below normal this year did not fully refill the reservoirs, but the year before that in spring of 2011 our reservoirs were overflowing.

The NOAA classifies Denver as D1 basically because reservoir levels are lower than normal (primarely because of 2012). But around Durango and Cortez it's D3 and it's D4 in SE Colorado so it's understandable the doom and gloom coming out of there.

Yes climate change is real, but how it impacts drought conditions in various parts of the country to my knowledge has not achieved consensus within the scientific community.

Last edited by robertgoodman; 07-13-2013 at 04:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver