Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 09:15 PM

16 posts, read 33,192 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am moving with my husband and 20 month old son to the Denver area next month. I will be commuting to the Broomfield/Interlocken area. My husband is still looking for work so we don't know where he will be.

I went to college at CU in Boulder but I don't know the area outside of Boulder that well. I was hoping for some neighborhood/apartment complex suggestions.

We are looking for:
1. rental house or townhome, apartment if necessary
2. close to public transport (though we have one car)
3. walkable (with a toddler and a dog...to parks, at least)
4. trees and sidewalks (as in, not living right off the interstate at Interlocken)
4. Rent less than $1400 a month for a 2 bedroom.
5. Urban feel over suburban feel

Areas I've been researching include
Sunnyside
Highland
Arvada
Lakewood
Broomfield
Wheat Ridge
Lafayette
....but we're open to whatever.

I feel like we'd fit in best in Denver proper, but we might be priced out with our budget. What are areas like Arvada, Lakewood, Broomfield and Wheat Ridge like in terms of an 'urban' feel. If they are sprawling suburbs that feel like Colorado Springs (where I grew up) I hope to avoid them.

Thanks for any suggestions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 08:33 AM

17,710 posts, read 29,834,812 times
Default Some not so good news

1. The vacancy rate for single-family houses is 2.5%.
2. Rents have increase 6% in greater Denver in the last year.
3. Many rentals in northwest Denver only appear as a sign in the yard. Landlords don't have to list them anywhere.

Old 07-21-2013, 12:05 PM

Okay, thank you davebarnes.

I see you live in Berkeley...that's one of the neighborhoods I've been looking into.

I don't mind living in an apartment or duplex at all, but I would prefer an older, established neighborhood.

Do you know of any neighborhoods that may fit my criteria, basically good for a late 20s couple with a toddler who want to live near public transport and be able to walk to parks or green space? Commutable to Interlocken but not right in suburbia.

Old 07-21-2013, 12:33 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Areas I've been researching include
Sunnyside
Highland
Arvada
Lakewood
Broomfield
Wheat Ridge
Lafayette
....but we're open to whatever.
Sunnyside: In Denver
Highland (actually Highlands): In Denver. Hip, expensive.
Arvada: Has an old town (Called "Old Towne"), but it mainly suburban. Maybe you'd have better luck than my daughter and her fiance did in finding an apt/house near OT.
Lakewood: More suburban than Arvada. Has no real "downtown". Has a Lifestyle Center area called Belmar that has apts in a walkable area, though it's not real big. Kinda far for driving to Broomfield.
Broomfield: Suburban. No downtown. Big mall. Good community feel, this from personal experience of having a kid on a HS team there for 7 years. Probably your best bet to look at first.
Wheat Ridge: Suburban. No downtown. Larger population of elderly, smaller population of kids than many other areas. Also a bit of a drive, not as bad as Lakewood.
Lafayette: Mostly suburban, has an old town, has a sort of downtown w/restaurants, a big lawn/garden center. Close to Broomfield.
Wheat Ridge (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 07-21-2013 at 12:51 PM..

Old 07-21-2013, 12:45 PM

Default Some ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allie84 View Post
prefer an older, established neighborhood. ... neighborhoods that may fit my criteria, basically good for a late 20s couple with a toddler who want to live near public transport and be able to walk to parks or green space?
The major east-west bus routes are:
38th ave
44th
32nd
in that order
North-south are:
Federal
Sheridan
Wadsworth
RTD-Denver.com

Padmapper.com and use the filters.

I think for single-family rentals, you really need to be here. But, what do I know. I own a house and only vaguely pay attention to the rental situation.

Useful maps for finding parks
Map Gallery - PDFs: City and Community of Arvada
Denver Maps
Wheat Ridge, CO - Official Website - Maps

Old 07-21-2013, 04:04 PM

Thank you both!

I appreciate the links.

It's also good to know that Wheat Ridge is an older community....I really want a younger area, as I'm in my 20s, but also an area that's good for small children (and a dog).

What about Erie and Louisville? The only bits I know of Louisville are right off of US36.

It'd be nice to live near Boulder again....probably will be priced-out to live in it, though.

I wish the light-rail went further north ( I know it will eventually) because that's how we'd prefer to get in and out of the city center. Does the western line go through any 'nice' neighborhoods? Lakewood, I guess? It seems like the only area of Lakewood I'd like is the Belmar area. I'd love to be able to walk to a light rail line to get into Denver for concerts, restaurants, etc.

Old 07-21-2013, 04:11 PM

Default Erie where we frack in your back yard

Quote:
What about Erie
"sprawling suburbs that feel like Colorado Springs"

Old 07-21-2013, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Thank you both!

I appreciate the links.

It's also good to know that Wheat Ridge is an older community....I really want a younger area, as I'm in my 20s, but also an area that's good for small children (and a dog).

What about Erie and Louisville? The only bits I know of Louisville are right off of US36.

It'd be nice to live near Boulder again....probably will be priced-out to live in it, though.

I wish the light-rail went further north ( I know it will eventually) because that's how we'd prefer to get in and out of the city center. Does the western line go through any 'nice' neighborhoods? Lakewood, I guess? It seems like the only area of Lakewood I'd like is the Belmar area. I'd love to be able to walk to a light rail line to get into Denver for concerts, restaurants, etc.
Erie has an old town, plus lots of suburban area.

Louisville, ditto, but its old town is more developed and actually the "in" place to go on Friday nights.

The rail line (heavy rail, not LR on this piece) is expected to be done in 2042. I am not making this up. It will be a long time in coming.

Old 07-21-2013, 05:52 PM

Wow. That's good to know!!

Are the neighborhoods along the current light rail heading west any good? Are they close enough to Broomfield?

I know it seems a weird thing to think about when I'll be commuting by bus or car anyways, but public transport is important to me.

Old 07-21-2013, 06:25 PM

I can answer your second question. The LR west line basically parallels Colfax Ave. So no, it's not particularly close to Broomfield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver